Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 05:15 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

Sara II <SaraII@TJ.net> wrote in news:kc6g9o$a94$1@dont-email.me:

> On 1/3/2013 8:40 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> Sara II<SaraII@TJ.net> wrote in news:kc5e3u$838$1@dont-email.me:
>>
>>
>>>
>>> I've been having problems with turning the key to start the car once
>>> it is in and also getting the key out. I decided to leave it in so I
>>> won't get stranded away from home. I lock the car with the other key.
>>> .

>>
>>
>> The key might just be really worn. How easy is it to lock and unlock the
>> driver's door? Do you have another, newer, key to try?

>
> I just have the two original keys. It's sometimes a bit difficult to
> open the driver's side door.
>




What about the passenger door? Is that one easier to open, or just as
difficult?


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 05:24 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

Sara II <SaraII@TJ.net> wrote in news:kc7ekd$84a$1@dont-email.me:

> On 1/4/2013 2:04 PM, cameo wrote:
>> On 1/4/2013 4:00 AM, Sara II wrote:
>>> I just have the two original keys. It's sometimes a bit difficult to
>>> open the driver's side door.

>>
>> I have the same problem with my '94 Accord but after some WD40 spray
>> into the key hole, the key does work again for a while. Have you
>> tried it?
>>

>
> A friend put graphite in the locks and ignition. Helped a bit but not
> much.




Graphite is a bad idea on car locks. Better is something like gun oil or
sewing machine oil.

If you live in the north-east, a can of Carwell T-40 aerosol is even
better: Spray and soak the lock generously until it spews out the keyole
(the more the better), then work the key in and out and back and forth a
few times.



> The shop wants $330 to change out the starter "gizmo." I think
> I'll try getting a new key. We are in a very rural area so no
> locksmiths around here. I'll have to wait until I get to the big
> city.



Try your keys in the passenger door lock. Same result, or better?

The passenger lock will work better in any case, since it hardly gets any
use, so the difference between driver and passenger must be significant
before the key is suspect.

By the way, you can continue to use your one-turn key method, so long as
you make certain that ALL electrical stuff is turned OFF. Especially, turn
the radio OFF. Don't just turn the volume down or switch the radio to a
setting where the sound appears to go away.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 06:03 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

Tegger <invalid@example.com> wrote in
news:XnsA13EBB4259BBAtegger@208.90.168.18:


> The passenger lock will work better in any case, since it hardly gets
> any use, so the difference between driver and passenger must be
> significant before the key is suspect.




Sorry...let me clarify that:


- If both doors are roughly-equally difficult to open with the suspect key,
then the key is at fault.
- If the passenger door is significantly easier to open with the suspect
key, then the driver's lock is likely at fault.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 06:05 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

On 01/04/2013 03:24 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Sara II<SaraII@TJ.net> wrote in news:kc7ekd$84a$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> On 1/4/2013 2:04 PM, cameo wrote:
>>> On 1/4/2013 4:00 AM, Sara II wrote:
>>>> I just have the two original keys. It's sometimes a bit difficult to
>>>> open the driver's side door.
>>>
>>> I have the same problem with my '94 Accord but after some WD40 spray
>>> into the key hole, the key does work again for a while. Have you
>>> tried it?
>>>

>>
>> A friend put graphite in the locks and ignition. Helped a bit but not
>> much.

>
>
>
> Graphite is a bad idea on car locks. Better is something like gun oil or
> sewing machine oil.


but graphite is a solid state lubricant - it doesn't freeze. gun oil
and sewing machine oil do. that black stuff smeared all over the brand
new lock you buy [if you ever have] is graphite. solid state is why
*lock manufacturers* use it.


>
> If you live in the north-east, a can of Carwell T-40 aerosol is even
> better: Spray and soak the lock generously until it spews out the keyole
> (the more the better), then work the key in and out and back and forth a
> few times.
>
>
>
>> The shop wants $330 to change out the starter "gizmo." I think
>> I'll try getting a new key. We are in a very rural area so no
>> locksmiths around here. I'll have to wait until I get to the big
>> city.

>
>
> Try your keys in the passenger door lock. Same result, or better?
>
> The passenger lock will work better in any case, since it hardly gets any
> use, so the difference between driver and passenger must be significant
> before the key is suspect.
>
> By the way, you can continue to use your one-turn key method, so long as
> you make certain that ALL electrical stuff is turned OFF. Especially, turn
> the radio OFF. Don't just turn the volume down or switch the radio to a
> setting where the sound appears to go away.
>
>



--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 06:09 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

On 01/04/2013 04:03 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Tegger<invalid@example.com> wrote in
> news:XnsA13EBB4259BBAtegger@208.90.168.18:
>
>
>> The passenger lock will work better in any case, since it hardly gets
>> any use, so the difference between driver and passenger must be
>> significant before the key is suspect.

>
>
>
> Sorry...let me clarify that:
>
>
> - If both doors are roughly-equally difficult to open with the suspect key,
> then the key is at fault.
> - If the passenger door is significantly easier to open with the suspect
> key, then the driver's lock is likely at fault.


correct.

if you can be bothered, it's much better to carry and use the valet key
if you have manual locks. this is because the difference between the
valet and standard key is the much wider "land" on the valet which is
used to keep the key from fitting the trunk, but at the same time,
causes much less wear of the main lock tumblers because of the wider
contact surface..


--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 07:20 pm
Sara II
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

On 1/4/2013 5:15 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Sara II<SaraII@TJ.net> wrote in news:kc6g9o$a94$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> On 1/3/2013 8:40 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>> Sara II<SaraII@TJ.net> wrote in news:kc5e3u$838$1@dont-email.me:
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> I've been having problems with turning the key to start the car once
>>>> it is in and also getting the key out. I decided to leave it in so I
>>>> won't get stranded away from home. I lock the car with the other key.
>>>> .
>>>
>>>
>>> The key might just be really worn. How easy is it to lock and unlock the
>>> driver's door? Do you have another, newer, key to try?

>>
>> I just have the two original keys. It's sometimes a bit difficult to
>> open the driver's side door.
>>

>
>
>
> What about the passenger door? Is that one easier to open, or just as
> difficult?
>
>

The passenger door is easier to open than the driver's side.

Nancy

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 07:21 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

On 1/4/2013 1:11 PM, jim beam wrote:
>> A friend put graphite in the locks and ignition. Helped a bit but not
>> much. The shop wants $330 to change out the starter "gizmo." I think
>> I'll try getting a new key. We are in a very rural area so no locksmiths
>> around here. I'll have to wait until I get to the big city.
>>
>> Nancy
>>

>
> changing the lock is pretty simple and you can do it yourself if you
> have some tools. the key assembly with new keys is <$100.


With a new door lock and key you will not be able to use the same key
for ignition though. Not very convenient.

Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 08:04 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

On 01/04/2013 05:21 PM, cameo wrote:
> On 1/4/2013 1:11 PM, jim beam wrote:
>>> A friend put graphite in the locks and ignition. Helped a bit but not
>>> much. The shop wants $330 to change out the starter "gizmo." I think
>>> I'll try getting a new key. We are in a very rural area so no locksmiths
>>> around here. I'll have to wait until I get to the big city.
>>>
>>> Nancy
>>>

>>
>> changing the lock is pretty simple and you can do it yourself if you
>> have some tools. the key assembly with new keys is <$100.

>
> With a new door lock and key you will not be able to use the same key
> for ignition though. Not very convenient.
>


it's actually very easy to change out the tumblers and re-key your door
locks if you've changed your ignition - the usual way around. some day
i'll get around to writing up a how-to, but you remove the lock from the
door, remove the cylinder from the barrel, shake out the tumblers and
either replace, re-order or jewelers file the tumblers back into working
order. it sounds a lot worse than it is - takes about 10 minutes to
re-key the cylinder.

as for not being very convenient, it means you carry two keys, not one.
not quite as simple, but not exactly hard. and certainly a good deal
better than having no ignition or no ability to lock the car.


--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2013, 08:57 pm
QuestionQuigley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

On 1/3/2013 8:56 AM, Sara II wrote:
> I'm having problems with the keys to my Honda - 193,000 miles. I've been
> leaving a key in the ignition at the first turn to shut the engine off.
> Will this drain the battery? This morning the car tried to start but
> wouldn't. I've been leaving the key in for about 6 weeks.
>
> Nancy
>
>
>

You may want to get a new key from Honda using the code on your existing
key. If you have a new key cut from the existing key, there is a good
chance it will be no better than the problem key.

--
Quigley
Leamy's National School, Limerick, IE
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

On 1/4/2013 6:04 PM, jim beam wrote:
> it's actually very easy to change out the tumblers and re-key your door
> locks if you've changed your ignition - the usual way around. some day
> i'll get around to writing up a how-to, but you remove the lock from the
> door, remove the cylinder from the barrel, shake out the tumblers and
> either replace, re-order or jewelers file the tumblers back into working
> order. it sounds a lot worse than it is - takes about 10 minutes to
> re-key the cylinder.
>
> as for not being very convenient, it means you carry two keys, not one.
> not quite as simple, but not exactly hard. and certainly a good deal
> better than having no ignition or no ability to lock the car.
>

I already carry two keys: one on my key chain and a backup key in my
pocket separately.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ENGINE STARTING PROBLEM AND OVER HEATING PROBLEM. INTEGRA 1993? Matthew Acura Technical 3 13 Dec 2012 05:32 pm
Car Problem: 1997 Honda Accord SE: Interior Problem? Elionpointlikeaneedinahaystack!! Honda Technical 1 27 Sep 2012 11:31 am
2004 honda accord having problem shifting into gear. What is the problem? Hector Honda Technical 3 27 Jul 2011 10:16 am
accord gear shifting trouble, transmission problem or TCC problem? Nut up or Shut up Honda Technical 1 18 May 2011 11:08 am
1996 Civic SI Coupe - Idle Problem/Heating&AC Problem! alyhirji Honda 3 2 25 Dec 2004 06:12 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.