Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2012, 12:08 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default honda maintenance interval

last weekend, i did some work on a friend's 89 civic. it turned out,
the timing belt hadn't been changed in 262k miles. yup, you read that
right, it was >150k miles and >15 years over schedule.

not only did he have the full service history from new, he'd driven it
for 150k of that and could personally vouch for his portion. so when i
took the timing cover off, i was looking particularly for any evidence
of prior change. nothing. the tensioner bolt still had its original
paint seal intact, and you can't change the belt without slacking the
tensioner. nor did the crank pulley bolt show any signs of ever being
wrenched - they always get stuck and need some serious impact driving to
remove which always leaves evidence.

so, while it's best to stick to the factory service schedule, honda were
apparently quite conservative with their components back in the late 80's.

i have the old belt as a souvenir. it's got the older style label
graphics of the era. the only other discernible difference between that
and a 7-year old 120k mile belt from one of my hondas is that the high
mileage one is noticeably more flexible - i'm guessing because honda
changed cordage some time in the 90's,

oh, and i checked the coolant pump. still in great condition, so i left
it on there. same for the seals. something to think about next time
you're forking out $600-$800 for a belt/pump/seal change and get to
wondering what exactly is specified in the honda service schedule vs.
what seems to unquestioningly have been accepted by the public as "stuff
you always pay for".


--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2012, 06:06 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: honda maintenance interval

In article <k89u1d$uue$1@dont-email.me>, jim beam <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

> so, while it's best to stick to the factory service schedule, honda were
> apparently quite conservative with their components back in the late 80's.


er, were using high quality components.

I would *love* to take a brand new Civic and see what happens if I beat
it like a rented mule today. 'Twould be fascinating.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Nov 2012, 09:27 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: honda maintenance interval

On 11/18/2012 04:06 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article<k89u1d$uue$1@dont-email.me>, jim beam<me@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> so, while it's best to stick to the factory service schedule, honda were
>> apparently quite conservative with their components back in the late 80's.

>
> er, were using high quality components.
>
> I would *love* to take a brand new Civic and see what happens if I beat
> it like a rented mule today. 'Twould be fascinating.


i wouldn't bother. i was looking at the guts of a modern civic si's
motor last night. not only was it a 4-weight crank [ridiculous on
something you're supposed to be high revving], but the weeny little main
bearings had gone. i gather that the lads trying to race this thing
[stripped down, roll cage, full "race prepped" macpherson civic!]
haven't been enjoying much luck with it.


--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22 Nov 2012, 09:08 am
tww1491
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: honda maintenance interval




"jim beam" wrote in message news:k8aup4$1h9$1@dont-email.me...

On 11/18/2012 04:06 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article<k89u1d$uue$1@dont-email.me>, jim beam<me@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> so, while it's best to stick to the factory service schedule, honda were
>> apparently quite conservative with their components back in the late
>> 80's.

>
> er, were using high quality components.
>
> I would *love* to take a brand new Civic and see what happens if I beat
> it like a rented mule today. 'Twould be fascinating.


i wouldn't bother. i was looking at the guts of a modern civic si's
motor last night. not only was it a 4-weight crank [ridiculous on
something you're supposed to be high revving], but the weeny little main
bearings had gone. i gather that the lads trying to race this thing
[stripped down, roll cage, full "race prepped" macpherson civic!]
haven't been enjoying much luck with it.

Am curious. Was this a current version with the K24Z7 engine or the previous
2 ltr. Would like your opinion on the 2.2 ltr S2000 engine as you obviously
know what you are talking about.


--
fact check required

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Nov 2012, 01:34 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: honda maintenance interval

On 11/22/2012 07:08 AM, tww1491 wrote:
>
>
>
> "jim beam" wrote in message news:k8aup4$1h9$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 11/18/2012 04:06 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article<k89u1d$uue$1@dont-email.me>, jim beam<me@privacy.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> so, while it's best to stick to the factory service schedule, honda were
>>> apparently quite conservative with their components back in the late
>>> 80's.

>>
>> er, were using high quality components.
>>
>> I would *love* to take a brand new Civic and see what happens if I beat
>> it like a rented mule today. 'Twould be fascinating.

>
> i wouldn't bother. i was looking at the guts of a modern civic si's
> motor last night. not only was it a 4-weight crank [ridiculous on
> something you're supposed to be high revving], but the weeny little main
> bearings had gone. i gather that the lads trying to race this thing
> [stripped down, roll cage, full "race prepped" macpherson civic!]
> haven't been enjoying much luck with it.
>
> Am curious. Was this a current version with the K24Z7 engine or the
> previous 2 ltr.


k20z3. forgot to mention - the crank i've been looking at is cast not
forged. i'm disgusted - i never thought honda would stoop that low.


> Would like your opinion on the 2.2 ltr S2000 engine as
> you obviously know what you are talking about.


not really - i've never stripped one down so i can't really comment with
authority.


why do you ask? if you're looking for a high output honda motor, there
are builders out there that know what they're doing. but you have to do
a bunch of homework on who. and be prepared to pay.

to illustrate that point, a few years ago i met a guy doing some
restoration work on this actual vehicle:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jules_Goux_wins_Indianapolis.jpg>

it has a one-piece block/head with twin cams and 16 valves [the
inspiration for the offenhauser engines in fact] and to restore the
vehicle to have a working motor, they'd had to re-cast a new block/head
assembly from scratch. it cost $30k for the casting - which i thought
was actually pretty cheap given the molding work involved.

anyway, you can get pretty much anything made custom if you're prepared
to pay. and if you know who to pay it to. [as opposed to some of these
clowns that'll rip you off $25k for a rebuilt chevy motor.]


--
fact check required

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil change interval Butch Haynes Honda 3 11 19 Apr 2008 01:47 pm
Oil Change Interval Venture Rider Acura 1 24 Aug 2006 12:18 pm
Maintenance Interval Bruno Acura 4 11 Jul 2004 01:11 am
Maintenance Required Light and Service Interval Debasis Goswami Honda 2 9 01 Mar 2004 07:30 pm
Re: oil change interval on CRV Kenneth J. Harris Honda 3 7 14 Sep 2003 06:38 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.