Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 02:21 am
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default The proper way to stop & park

The other day I've heard a fellow Honda owner that to properly park the
car after a stop is to always pull in the hand brake before putting the
gear selector in the Park mode. To set it into Park before engaging hand
brake (even though the foot brake is depressed) can eventually damage
the A/T. Is this correct or is this some kind of old wive's tale? If
correct, what is the explanation? Frankly, I never thought there would
be any difference as long as the car is stationary when I put it into Park.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 04:46 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

In article <k36itf$8oh$1@dont-email.me>, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

> The other day I've heard a fellow Honda owner that to properly park the
> car after a stop is to always pull in the hand brake before putting the
> gear selector in the Park mode. To set it into Park before engaging hand
> brake (even though the foot brake is depressed) can eventually damage
> the A/T. Is this correct or is this some kind of old wive's tale? If
> correct, what is the explanation? Frankly, I never thought there would
> be any difference as long as the car is stationary when I put it into Park.


It is correct.

The brakes are designed to stop and hold the car. Let them do that, and
keep pressure off the parking pawl.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 07:52 am
Unquestionably Confused
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

On 9/17/2012 4:46 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <k36itf$8oh$1@dont-email.me>, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> The other day I've heard a fellow Honda owner that to properly park the
>> car after a stop is to always pull in the hand brake before putting the
>> gear selector in the Park mode. To set it into Park before engaging hand
>> brake (even though the foot brake is depressed) can eventually damage
>> the A/T. Is this correct or is this some kind of old wive's tale? If
>> correct, what is the explanation? Frankly, I never thought there would
>> be any difference as long as the car is stationary when I put it into Park.

>
> It is correct.
>
> The brakes are designed to stop and hold the car. Let them do that, and
> keep pressure off the parking pawl.
>


Have always heard and been taught to use that very procedure but ONLY
when parking the car on grade. The theory, apparently, is that parking
on grade will have the pawl bearing the weight of the car to keep it
immobile using the parking/emergency brake prevents that AND prevents
the weight of the car, on a grade, from "locking up the transmission due
to the weight.

Having had a parking brake seize up from lack of use I find myself using
the parking brake occasionally "just because" even though I'm not
parking on a grade but 95% (or better) of the time I don't bother.

What does the owner's manual say? I'll admit that I have never read
THAT section<g>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 07:54 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:k36itf$8oh$1@dont-email.me:

> The other day I've heard a fellow Honda owner that to properly park
> the car after a stop is to always pull in the hand brake before
> putting the gear selector in the Park mode. To set it into Park before
> engaging hand brake (even though the foot brake is depressed) can
> eventually damage the A/T. Is this correct or is this some kind of old
> wive's tale? If correct, what is the explanation? Frankly, I never
> thought there would be any difference as long as the car is stationary
> when I put it into Park.




It doesn't matter how you do it; no damage will result in any case.

My personally-preferred method:
1) Stop vehicle using foot brake. Keep foot on foot brake.
2) Shift into Park.
3) Apply parking brake.
4) Release foot brake.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 08:11 am
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park


"Unquestionably Confused" <puzzled2@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:50571d29$0$9093$862e30e2@ngroups.net...
> On 9/17/2012 4:46 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article <k36itf$8oh$1@dont-email.me>, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The other day I've heard a fellow Honda owner that to properly park the
>>> car after a stop is to always pull in the hand brake before putting the
>>> gear selector in the Park mode. To set it into Park before engaging hand
>>> brake (even though the foot brake is depressed) can eventually damage
>>> the A/T. Is this correct or is this some kind of old wive's tale? If
>>> correct, what is the explanation? Frankly, I never thought there would
>>> be any difference as long as the car is stationary when I put it into
>>> Park.

>>
>> It is correct.
>>
>> The brakes are designed to stop and hold the car. Let them do that, and
>> keep pressure off the parking pawl.
>>

>
> Have always heard and been taught to use that very procedure but ONLY when
> parking the car on grade. The theory, apparently, is that parking on
> grade will have the pawl bearing the weight of the car to keep it immobile
> using the parking/emergency brake prevents that AND prevents the weight of
> the car, on a grade, from "locking up the transmission due to the weight.


Following the procedure using the parking brake will also protect the
transmission on flat grade if someone bumps your car, say while parking.

> Having had a parking brake seize up from lack of use I find myself using
> the parking brake occasionally "just because" even though I'm not parking
> on a grade but 95% (or better) of the time I don't bother.


Use it all the time and you shouldn't ever get any "lack of use" related
issues.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 12:36 pm
Howard Lester
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

Just last Saturday in my local newspaper's Car Talk column this very subject
was addressed. The boys said (as almost all of you have said so far) to
first apply the parking brake, then shift into Park. This is to be done
particularly when parking on a grade for the very reasons you've cited.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

On 9/17/2012 5:54 AM, Tegger wrote:
> It doesn't matter how you do it; no damage will result in any case.
>
> My personally-preferred method:
> 1) Stop vehicle using foot brake. Keep foot on foot brake.
> 2) Shift into Park.
> 3) Apply parking brake.
> 4) Release foot brake.
>

That's exactly how I used to do it because that's how it felt natural to
me.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 08:55 pm
Unquestionably Confused
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

On 9/17/2012 8:11 AM, Seth wrote:

>> Having had a parking brake seize up from lack of use I find myself
>> using the parking brake occasionally "just because" even though I'm
>> not parking on a grade but 95% (or better) of the time I don't bother.

>
> Use it all the time and you shouldn't ever get any "lack of use" related
> issues.


There's a certain logic to that...<g>

To answer my own question I took the time to scope out that previously
unread section of my Honda Owner's Manual. Yep! Set the parking brake,
then place transmission in Park.

Now for the extra point question...

"What percentage of all car owners with an automatic transmission
actually follow this procedure?:

a) Less than 5%

b) Less than 1%

c) Less than .0002%

d) What procedure is that?





Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 09:58 pm
GrumpyOne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

Tegger wrote:
> cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:k36itf$8oh$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> The other day I've heard a fellow Honda owner that to properly park
>> the car after a stop is to always pull in the hand brake before
>> putting the gear selector in the Park mode. To set it into Park before
>> engaging hand brake (even though the foot brake is depressed) can
>> eventually damage the A/T. Is this correct or is this some kind of old
>> wive's tale? If correct, what is the explanation? Frankly, I never
>> thought there would be any difference as long as the car is stationary
>> when I put it into Park.

>
>
>
> It doesn't matter how you do it; no damage will result in any case.
>
> My personally-preferred method:
> 1) Stop vehicle using foot brake. Keep foot on foot brake.
> 2) Shift into Park.
> 3) Apply parking brake.
> 4) Release foot brake.
>
>



Except for the winter months in the snow belt... Using that parking
brake might strand you 'til spring..

JT


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 08:22 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The proper way to stop & park

GrumpyOne <Grumpy@nowherenot.net> wrote in news:k38o0i$12f$3@dont-email.me:

> Tegger wrote:


>>
>> My personally-preferred method:
>> 1) Stop vehicle using foot brake. Keep foot on foot brake.
>> 2) Shift into Park.
>> 3) Apply parking brake.
>> 4) Release foot brake.
>>
>>

>
>
> Except for the winter months in the snow belt... Using that parking
> brake might strand you 'til spring..
>




As long as the parking brake is used regularly, it will never seize, even
in the Northeast.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Clearance Cerritos, Buena Park, Alhambra, Monterey Park at skylight Honda Videos 0 24 Aug 2010 09:00 am
How do i stop my 97 Honda Accord to stop Idling? Ness Honda Technical 3 23 Feb 2010 04:46 pm
dealer installed viper alarm on Honda Odyssey won't stop alarming...how do you stop it? greengo Honda Technical 2 30 Oct 2007 05:36 pm
My 1991 Honda Accord is leaking stearing fluid. Can i put some stop leak in it and stop the leak? Sunny Honda Technical 2 02 Oct 2007 04:54 pm
Proper wire DaveT Honda 2 4 08 Oct 2003 11:18 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.