Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2012, 09:28 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stolen Civic Si

After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
was mistaken.

It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.

Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
measures for the next car I get.

Thieves suck.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2012, 09:49 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

In article <MPG.2ab85dca736c0d8998a303@208.90.168.18>,
Dave Garrett <dave@compassnet.com> wrote:

> Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> measures for the next car I get.


or, go do other things with your life.

Getting into an arms race with car thieves is a losing proposition. If
you get a car they want, they *will* take it from you.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

On 09/10/2012 07:28 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
> After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance.


so did they put it on a truck or did they drive it away? if the latter,
you could have prevented it. but i'm sure you're after sympathy not
analysis.


> I'd always been careful of where
> I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
> didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
> was mistaken.
>
> It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
> perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
> essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
> the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.
>
> Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> measures for the next car I get.
>
> Thieves suck.
>



--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2012, 03:26 am
AD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

On Sep 11, 6:04*am, jim beam <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 09/10/2012 07:28 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
>
> > After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> > pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> > parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> > of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance.

>
> so did they put it on a truck or did they drive it away? *if the latter,
> you could have prevented it. *but i'm sure you're after sympathy not
> analysis.


you are saying that an alarm system reacting to tilts would not have
helped in
the truck scenario?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2012, 07:09 am
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:28:31 -0500, Dave Garrett <dave@compassnet.com>
wrote:

>After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
>pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
>parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
>of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
>I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
>didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
>was mistaken.
>
>It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
>perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
>essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
>the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.
>
>Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
>measures for the next car I get.
>
>Thieves suck.


Did you check to see if there is surveilance video? There are an awful
lot of video cameras around. It probably won't get the car back but
maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2012, 11:45 am
Douglas C. Neidermeyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

On 9/10/12 10:28 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
> After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
> I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
> didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
> was mistaken.
>
> It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
> perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
> essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
> the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.
>
> Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> measures for the next car I get.
>
> Thieves suck.
>


Jeebus guys, the poor vic is hurtin' and y'all are just twisting the
knife. Have some heart;-)

--
The more is given, the less the people will work for themselves and the
less they work, the more their poverty will increase.
--Leo Tolstoy
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

In article <elmop-3B5EF7.22495010092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
elmop@nastydesigns.com says...
>
> In article <MPG.2ab85dca736c0d8998a303@208.90.168.18>,
> Dave Garrett <dave@compassnet.com> wrote:
>
> > Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> > measures for the next car I get.

>
> or, go do other things with your life.
>
> Getting into an arms race with car thieves is a losing proposition. If
> you get a car they want, they *will* take it from you.


Yep, the best you can hope for is to make it more difficult for them by
slowing them down. I'd have settled for that, as in this particular
scenario they'd have likely been deterred by anything that would have
drawn unwanted attention to them in an area with heavy foot traffic.

The middle of the night in your driveway is a different story.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

In article <k2m9n2$8jp$1@dont-email.me>, me@privacy.net says...
>
> On 09/10/2012 07:28 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
> > After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> > pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> > parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> > of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance.

>
> so did they put it on a truck or did they drive it away? if the latter,
> you could have prevented it. but i'm sure you're after sympathy not
> analysis.


They drove it away. And I'm very aware that it could have been
prevented. Once bitten, twice shy.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si

In article <11au4895v61ia4sqedid09f4virmj60qob@4ax.com>,
dgk@somewhere.com says...
>
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:28:31 -0500, Dave Garrett <dave@compassnet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to
> >pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a
> >parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view
> >of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where
> >I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but
> >didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I
> >was mistaken.
> >
> >It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in
> >perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and
> >essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have
> >the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.
> >
> >Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> >measures for the next car I get.
> >
> >Thieves suck.

>
> Did you check to see if there is surveilance video? There are an awful
> lot of video cameras around. It probably won't get the car back but
> maybe.



There is video but I haven't seen it yet. I was told there is footage of
me driving into the garage and another Honda following me, and a few
minutes later both cars leaving with my car following the other Honda
closely. Not sure yet if the video is good enough to get plates on the
other Honda.

Pretty much what I suspected, these guys knew exactly what they were
doing and have likely done this before.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12 Sep 2012, 05:10 pm
tww1491
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stolen Civic Si



"Dave Garrett" wrote in message
news:MPG.2ab935311347357298a305@208.90.168.18...

In article <elmop-3B5EF7.22495010092012@news.eternal-september.org>,
elmop@nastydesigns.com says...
>
> In article <MPG.2ab85dca736c0d8998a303@208.90.168.18>,
> Dave Garrett <dave@compassnet.com> wrote:
>
> > Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security
> > measures for the next car I get.

>
> or, go do other things with your life.
>
> Getting into an arms race with car thieves is a losing proposition. If
> you get a car they want, they *will* take it from you.


Yep, the best you can hope for is to make it more difficult for them by
slowing them down. I'd have settled for that, as in this particular
scenario they'd have likely been deterred by anything that would have
drawn unwanted attention to them in an area with heavy foot traffic.

The middle of the night in your driveway is a different story.

Researched the possibility of my 2005 S2000 being stolen -- apparently it
has a low rate. But, a red S2000 would be rather hard to disguise I
suppose.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECM stolen! 1994 Civic EX KA5MT abeness Honda 3 9 27 Mar 2011 09:09 am
since honda's are the #1 stolen cars does that mean Acura's are easy to be stolen? Victor Dansoh Acura Technical 6 25 Oct 2010 12:46 am
Best way to Prevent a Civic from being stolen? i ♥ LAT!NAs [[says Jeff.]] Honda Technical 11 19 Jun 2009 12:16 am
does any one know where a stolen vehicle can be found, My white honda accord was stolen I... <brandeze> Honda Technical 8 08 Oct 2007 01:06 pm
Stolen & recovered Civic....Help?! Me Honda 3 0 15 Sep 2004 07:30 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.