Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2012, 12:25 am
Lynn McGuire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default brake light cushion for 97 civic

Is there a place online where UI can purchase the
brake light switch cushion (rubber grommet) that
goes on the brake pedal? Since the current
rubber grommet disintegrated, I put a 7/16" bolt
with several washers in its place for now but am
worried that will cause the brake light switch to
fail. Also noticed that the clutch pedal has the
same grommet and am wondering when it will
disintegrate also?

Thanks,
Lynn
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2012, 09:14 am
Flatlander
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 00:25:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com>
wrote:

>Is there a place online where UI can purchase the
>brake light switch cushion (rubber grommet) that
>goes on the brake pedal? Since the current
>rubber grommet disintegrated, I put a 7/16" bolt
>with several washers in its place for now but am
>worried that will cause the brake light switch to
>fail. Also noticed that the clutch pedal has the
>same grommet and am wondering when it will
>disintegrate also?
>
>Thanks,
>Lynn


I thought about trying various things from the hardware store and
finally did what you did. It's in an '87 CRX and has been working for
5 years now. I just checked the switch plunger. Seems to be none the
worse for it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:08 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

Flatlander <flatlander47@cox.net> wrote in
news:7umq08lualnt91oe147pg17jc82j7mk6rg@4ax.com:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 00:25:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there a place online where UI can purchase the
>>brake light switch cushion (rubber grommet) that
>>goes on the brake pedal? Since the current
>>rubber grommet disintegrated, I put a 7/16" bolt
>>with several washers in its place for now but am
>>worried that will cause the brake light switch to
>>fail. Also noticed that the clutch pedal has the
>>same grommet and am wondering when it will
>>disintegrate also?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Lynn

>
> I thought about trying various things from the hardware store and
> finally did what you did. It's in an '87 CRX and has been working for
> 5 years now. I just checked the switch plunger. Seems to be none the
> worse for it.
>


"rubber grommet"?
My 94 Integra GS-R had a plastic button(for the brake pedal),and it cost $6
at the dealer.


I suppose you could use a nylon screw and nut,maybe with some Locktite to
keep it from coming loose.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2012, 12:14 pm
Lynn McGuire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

On 7/23/2012 10:08 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
> Flatlander <flatlander47@cox.net> wrote in
> news:7umq08lualnt91oe147pg17jc82j7mk6rg@4ax.com:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 00:25:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a place online where UI can purchase the
>>> brake light switch cushion (rubber grommet) that
>>> goes on the brake pedal? Since the current
>>> rubber grommet disintegrated, I put a 7/16" bolt
>>> with several washers in its place for now but am
>>> worried that will cause the brake light switch to
>>> fail. Also noticed that the clutch pedal has the
>>> same grommet and am wondering when it will
>>> disintegrate also?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lynn

>>
>> I thought about trying various things from the hardware store and
>> finally did what you did. It's in an '87 CRX and has been working for
>> 5 years now. I just checked the switch plunger. Seems to be none the
>> worse for it.
>>

>
> "rubber grommet"?
> My 94 Integra GS-R had a plastic button(for the brake pedal),and it cost $6
> at the dealer.
>
>
> I suppose you could use a nylon screw and nut,maybe with some Locktite to
> keep it from coming loose.


I thought it was rubber. I was hoping to avoid
a dealer trip.

Lynn

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2012, 01:35 pm
Flatlander
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:14:29 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com>
wrote:


>I thought it was rubber. I was hoping to avoid
>a dealer trip.
>
>Lynn


It's some sort of fairly hard plastic that looks like it eventually
hardened and fractured. The dealer here couldn't seem to find the
part number for it, which I wouldn't have thought was that hard.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2012, 07:20 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

Flatlander <flatlander47@cox.net> wrote in
news:096r081lms6gh2oahn3499nasnrdnnprlh@4ax.com:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:14:29 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>>I thought it was rubber. I was hoping to avoid
>>a dealer trip.
>>
>>Lynn

>
> It's some sort of fairly hard plastic that looks like it eventually
> hardened and fractured. The dealer here couldn't seem to find the
> part number for it, which I wouldn't have thought was that hard.
>


I stil have the work order for my Integra,even though the car was stolen in
2007.
the part number for the plastic button is;
46505-SA5-000 pad,pedal stopper list price was $3.84

I hope that's of some help.


--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2012, 09:07 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

On 07/22/2012 10:25 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Is there a place online where UI can purchase the
> brake light switch cushion (rubber grommet) that
> goes on the brake pedal? Since the current
> rubber grommet disintegrated, I put a 7/16" bolt
> with several washers in its place for now but am
> worried that will cause the brake light switch to
> fail. Also noticed that the clutch pedal has the
> same grommet and am wondering when it will
> disintegrate also?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn


alternatively, go to your friendly local junkyard and get one from
there. ideally from one manufactured in japan, not here. last time i
got one, the junkyard couldn't be bothered to charge me for it.

this is a relatively common failure on domestically produced hondas. in
theory, the part is not highly loaded and should last indefinitely, but
if its manufacturer doesn't take the materials used seriously, it'll
have internal flaws that lead to exactly the kinds of failures seen.


--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jul 2012, 11:13 am
Lynn McGuire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

On 7/23/2012 7:20 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
> Flatlander <flatlander47@cox.net> wrote in
> news:096r081lms6gh2oahn3499nasnrdnnprlh@4ax.com:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:14:29 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I thought it was rubber. I was hoping to avoid
>>> a dealer trip.
>>>
>>> Lynn

>>
>> It's some sort of fairly hard plastic that looks like it eventually
>> hardened and fractured. The dealer here couldn't seem to find the
>> part number for it, which I wouldn't have thought was that hard.
>>

>
> I stil have the work order for my Integra,even though the car was stolen in
> 2007.
> the part number for the plastic button is;
> 46505-SA5-000 pad,pedal stopper list price was $3.84
>
> I hope that's of some help.


Sweet, I found it online at
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...5-SA5-000.html

Thanks,
Lynn


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jul 2012, 11:14 am
Lynn McGuire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

On 7/23/2012 9:07 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 07/22/2012 10:25 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Is there a place online where UI can purchase the
>> brake light switch cushion (rubber grommet) that
>> goes on the brake pedal? Since the current
>> rubber grommet disintegrated, I put a 7/16" bolt
>> with several washers in its place for now but am
>> worried that will cause the brake light switch to
>> fail. Also noticed that the clutch pedal has the
>> same grommet and am wondering when it will
>> disintegrate also?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn

>
> alternatively, go to your friendly local junkyard and get one from there. ideally from one manufactured in japan, not here. last
> time i got one, the junkyard couldn't be bothered to charge me for it.
>
> this is a relatively common failure on domestically produced hondas. in theory, the part is not highly loaded and should last
> indefinitely, but if its manufacturer doesn't take the materials used seriously, it'll have internal flaws that lead to exactly the
> kinds of failures seen.


Since this one failed at 15 years (we bought
the car new), I would not put in a used part.
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...5-SA5-000.html
Especially when the new part is only $1.64
plus shipping.

Thanks,
Lynn

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jul 2012, 01:00 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: brake light cushion for 97 civic

Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com> wrote in news:500EC99F.4010608@winsim.com:

> On 7/23/2012 7:20 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
>> Flatlander <flatlander47@cox.net> wrote in
>> news:096r081lms6gh2oahn3499nasnrdnnprlh@4ax.com:
>>
>>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:14:29 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc@winsim.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> I thought it was rubber. I was hoping to avoid
>>>> a dealer trip.
>>>>
>>>> Lynn
>>>
>>> It's some sort of fairly hard plastic that looks like it eventually
>>> hardened and fractured. The dealer here couldn't seem to find the
>>> part number for it, which I wouldn't have thought was that hard.
>>>

>>
>> I stil have the work order for my Integra,even though the car was
>> stolen in 2007.
>> the part number for the plastic button is;
>> 46505-SA5-000 pad,pedal stopper list price was $3.84
>>
>> I hope that's of some help.

>
> Sweet, I found it online at
> http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...stopper~46505-
> SA5-000.html
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn
>
>
>


glad to be of help to you! what did it cost?

Lucky I'm a packrat. :-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
93 prelude brake light help short or brake light switch? Steven Honda Technical 1 22 Feb 2011 08:16 pm
Right brake light and center brake light above trunk won't work on my 2006 Civic EX coupe. Help? clint Honda Technical 10 27 Oct 2010 01:01 pm
Brake light, battery light and door open light of my Honda V6 intermittent on and off? think Honda Technical 2 07 Apr 2009 11:16 pm
Honda Odyssey, parking Brake and brake lamp warning light are on zillah Honda Technical 0 12 Jun 2008 02:17 am
Seat cushion for 98 Civic post2google@yahoo.com Honda 3 0 13 May 2006 01:46 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.