Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 May 2012, 09:47 pm
Matthew Fries
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Time keeps on slipping....

In late march, I traded in my 2010 Honda Civic Coupe (automatic) for a
2012 civic coupe (manual transmission). The difference is what makes
me happy.... The manual is WAY more fun.

I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is
WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and
already I have adjusted the clock > 5 minutes twice. This is
ridiculous! Clocks from the 1500's are this accurate, but a $2 quarts
from the drug store should be accurate to 1 minute per YEAR.

Has anyone else noticed this large an error in their car's clock?


Thanks.


Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
-----------------------------------------------------
Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA
freeze@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 May 2012, 11:13 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time keeps on slipping....

In article <48s0r71kqf9cst96mjlq9ue9ep1g0j3dcr@4ax.com>,
Matthew Fries <nobody@home.com> wrote:

> I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is
> WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and
> already I have adjusted the clock > 5 minutes twice. This is
> ridiculous! Clocks from the 1500's are this accurate, but a $2 quarts
> from the drug store should be accurate to 1 minute per YEAR.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this large an error in their car's clock?


It can happen on any electronic clock.

You can change out the clock module--maybe they'll warrant the thing--or
you can just get the $2 module from the drugstore and just stick it on.
Frankly, that's the easiest solution.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 May 2012, 11:24 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time keeps on slipping....

On 05/13/2012 09:13 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article<48s0r71kqf9cst96mjlq9ue9ep1g0j3dcr@4ax.com >,
> Matthew Fries<nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
>> I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is
>> WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and
>> already I have adjusted the clock> 5 minutes twice. This is
>> ridiculous! Clocks from the 1500's are this accurate, but a $2 quarts
>> from the drug store should be accurate to 1 minute per YEAR.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed this large an error in their car's clock?

>
> It can happen on any electronic clock.
>
> You can change out the clock module--maybe they'll warrant the thing--or
> you can just get the $2 module from the drugstore and just stick it on.
> Frankly, that's the easiest solution.


yeahbut, if i'd just paid tens of kilodollars for a brand new car, i'd
want the freakin' clock to work properly. i say warranty return.

to the o.p., it's probably one of honda's suppliers outsourcing to
china. other than changing the crystal, which is a non-trivial task
with modern smd circuit fabrication, i don't think there's much you can
do other than get the whole unit swapped out.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 May 2012, 08:05 am
C. E. White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time keeps on slipping....


"jim beam" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:joq1e0$odb$1@speranza.aioe.org...
> On 05/13/2012 09:13 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article<48s0r71kqf9cst96mjlq9ue9ep1g0j3dcr@4ax.com >,
>> Matthew Fries<nobody@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is
>>> WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and
>>> already I have adjusted the clock> 5 minutes twice. This is
>>> ridiculous! Clocks from the 1500's are this accurate, but a $2 quarts
>>> from the drug store should be accurate to 1 minute per YEAR.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else noticed this large an error in their car's clock?

>>
>> It can happen on any electronic clock.
>>
>> You can change out the clock module--maybe they'll warrant the thing--or
>> you can just get the $2 module from the drugstore and just stick it on.
>> Frankly, that's the easiest solution.

>
> yeahbut, if i'd just paid tens of kilodollars for a brand new car, i'd
> want the freakin' clock to work properly. i say warranty return.
>
> to the o.p., it's probably one of honda's suppliers outsourcing to china.
> other than changing the crystal, which is a non-trivial task with modern
> smd circuit fabrication, i don't think there's much you can do other than
> get the whole unit swapped out.


I am not so sure there isn't some sort of adjustment possible. I saw a Ford
TSB recently that dealt with an inaccurate Fiesta clock and the fix involved
reprogramming the car's computer -

FORD:
2011 Fiesta
ISSUE
Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles may exhibit clock losing time. Typical complaint
is clock losing approximately 1-5 minutes per week.
ACTION
Reprogram the instrument panel cluster to the latest calibration using IDS
release 71.05 and higher or 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not
included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files 10849 04 may also be
obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty

I was surprised by this, but I guess when you have a multi-purpose display
controller (the same display provides information on the radio, and menus
for setting up other stuff) you might have the clock function built into the
controller. Honda might (or might not) be doing something similar. In fact
there is a 2011 Honda TSB for Odesseys that seems to indicate that they
might use a similar system:

Make / Models: HONDA / ODYSSEY
Model/Build Years: 2011
Service Bulletin Number: SB-10-081
NHTSA Item Number: 10038564
Summary:
HONDA SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. THERE
ARE SOFTWARE PROBLEMS THAT AFFECT THE CLOCK AND RADIO. 2011 ODYSSEYS. *RM
UPDATED ON 08-31-2011. *KB

Ed


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 May 2012, 10:46 am
Flatlander
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time keeps on slipping....

Have the dealer fix it.

On Sun, 13 May 2012 21:47:59 -0500, Matthew Fries <nobody@home.com>
wrote:

>In late march, I traded in my 2010 Honda Civic Coupe (automatic) for a
>2012 civic coupe (manual transmission). The difference is what makes
>me happy.... The manual is WAY more fun.
>
>I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is
>WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and
>already I have adjusted the clock > 5 minutes twice. This is
>ridiculous! Clocks from the 1500's are this accurate, but a $2 quarts
>from the drug store should be accurate to 1 minute per YEAR.
>
>Has anyone else noticed this large an error in their car's clock?
>
>
>Thanks.
>
>
>Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
>-----------------------------------------------------
>Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA
>freeze@baloneyvisi.com
>
>"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 May 2012, 09:12 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time keeps on slipping....

On Sun, 13 May 2012 21:47:59 -0500, Matthew Fries <nobody@home.com>
wrote:

>In late march, I traded in my 2010 Honda Civic Coupe (automatic) for a
>2012 civic coupe (manual transmission). The difference is what makes
>me happy.... The manual is WAY more fun.
>
>I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is
>WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and
>already I have adjusted the clock > 5 minutes twice. This is
>ridiculous! Clocks from the 1500's are this accurate, but a $2 quarts
>from the drug store should be accurate to 1 minute per YEAR.
>
>Has anyone else noticed this large an error in their car's clock?


Mine gains a minute a month or thereabouts.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14 May 2012, 09:57 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time keeps on slipping....

Matthew Fries <nobody@home.com> wrote in
news:48s0r71kqf9cst96mjlq9ue9ep1g0j3dcr@4ax.com:

> In late march, I traded in my 2010 Honda Civic Coupe (automatic) for a
> 2012 civic coupe (manual transmission). The difference is what makes
> me happy.... The manual is WAY more fun.
>
> I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is
> WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and
> already I have adjusted the clock > 5 minutes twice. This is
> ridiculous!




Bring it to the dealer. This is a warranty repair. There may even be a TSB
out on your problem by now.

Be aware that Honda expects their clocks to gain or lose a bit of time each
month. Exactly how much yours gains/loses will be important in determining
if your problem is warrantable, so make sure you're certain just what the
discrepancy is.



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Honda Accord's Brake System Indicator light comes on from time to time, what is the problem? Seena Honda Technical 1 01 Apr 2011 03:16 pm
What is the Quarter mile time and the 0-60 time for a 1994 Acura Integra GSR? The Racer Acura Technical 4 16 May 2010 01:46 pm
What is the Quarter mile time and th 0-60 time for a 1991 Honda Prelude and a Acura Integra? The Racer Acura Technical 3 05 Mar 2010 03:01 pm
honda civic T reg. day time driving, when braking all lights come on at the same time.? Jeffrey S Honda Technical 1 16 Oct 2009 03:01 pm
daughter has a 1990 honda accord, heater fan will work one time and then next time she bejabbers2003 Honda Technical 5 13 Sep 2007 05:44 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.