Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2007, 10:32 pm
Wayne L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 03 Accord wheel bearing question

Hi:

I noticed recently that my 03 Accord rear wheel bearings look almost
identical to the ones in the 87 Accord I used to have, except the tabbed
washer in the 87 seems to have been replaced with what might be a seal. In
all rear wheel drive cars I ever owned, about every 35K miles I pulled off
the sleeve and bearings, cleaned everything with gas, re-greased the
bearings copiously and put everything back together. Same procedure on the
87 Accord rear bearings.

My 03 Accord owners manual says nothing about ever re-greasing the rear
wheel bearings. Have they added a good seal that's supposed to last forever
and keep out all dirt? I don't want to re-grease the bearings if it's not
needed. BTW, I was suprised that Honda was still using the peenable nut
system after 20 years. I guess it works well. The old castleated nut and
cotter pin didn't give you the infinite position possiblies. On the other
hand, you didn't have to buy 2 new nuts either. Also, does anyone know the
proper torque to use on the nuts? I had shop manual for the 87 but gave
them away when I traded it in.

Wayne


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2007, 11:11 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord wheel bearing question

Wayne L wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I noticed recently that my 03 Accord rear wheel bearings look almost
> identical to the ones in the 87 Accord I used to have, except the tabbed
> washer in the 87 seems to have been replaced with what might be a seal. In
> all rear wheel drive cars I ever owned, about every 35K miles I pulled off
> the sleeve and bearings, cleaned everything with gas, re-greased the
> bearings copiously and put everything back together. Same procedure on the
> 87 Accord rear bearings.
>
> My 03 Accord owners manual says nothing about ever re-greasing the rear
> wheel bearings. Have they added a good seal that's supposed to last forever
> and keep out all dirt?


yes - leave them alone. they will last hundreds of thousands of miles
as-is. attempted relube generally introduces more grit and problems
than it could possibly solve.


> I don't want to re-grease the bearings if it's not
> needed. BTW, I was suprised that Honda was still using the peenable nut
> system after 20 years. I guess it works well. The old castleated nut and
> cotter pin didn't give you the infinite position possiblies. On the other
> hand, you didn't have to buy 2 new nuts either.


they're $1.47 each at hondaautomotiveparts.com. a small price for
exactly correct torque.


> Also, does anyone know the
> proper torque to use on the nuts?


180Nm iirc.


> I had shop manual for the 87 but gave
> them away when I traded it in.
>
> Wayne
>


buy a new one! helminc.com.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2007, 03:36 am
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord wheel bearing question

jim beam wrote:
>
> Wayne L wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I noticed recently that my 03 Accord rear wheel bearings look almost
> > identical to the ones in the 87 Accord I used to have, except the tabbed
> > washer in the 87 seems to have been replaced with what might be a seal.
> > In all rear wheel drive cars I ever owned, about every 35K miles I
> > pulled off the sleeve and bearings, cleaned everything with gas,
> > re-greased the bearings copiously and put everything back together.
> > Same procedure on the 87 Accord rear bearings.
> >
> > My 03 Accord owners manual says nothing about ever re-greasing the rear
> > wheel bearings. Have they added a good seal that's supposed to last
> > forever and keep out all dirt?

>
> yes - leave them alone. they will last hundreds of thousands of miles
> as-is. attempted relube generally introduces more grit and problems
> than it could possibly solve.
>
> > I don't want to re-grease the bearings if it's not
> > needed. BTW, I was suprised that Honda was still using the peenable nut
> > system after 20 years. I guess it works well. The old castleated nut
> > and cotter pin didn't give you the infinite position possiblies. On the
> > other hand, you didn't have to buy 2 new nuts either.

>
> they're $1.47 each at hondaautomotiveparts.com. a small price for
> exactly correct torque.
>
> > Also, does anyone know the proper torque to use on the nuts?

>
> 180Nm iirc.
>
> > I had shop manual for the 87 but gave them away when I traded it in.
> >
> > Wayne
> >

>
> buy a new one! helminc.com.


Indeed! A 2003 is a very different animal from the '87. The rear wheel
bearings, as well as the front wheel bearings, are sealed precision
bearings. Leave them alone and they should be happy for many miles. When
there's a problem, they get replaced as a single assembly which usually
requires the use of a shop press.

Eric
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Bearing Replacement 95 Accord Nick Honda 3 4 29 Jan 2007 09:20 am
95 Accord Front Wheel Bearing Replacement DIY? BigELilE05@msn.com Honda 3 7 20 Jul 2006 11:21 pm
replacing wheel bearing on 97 accord techman41973@yahoo.com Honda 3 1 03 Apr 2005 11:32 pm
92 Accord wheel bearing Sunny Honda 2 3 08 Oct 2004 06:50 pm
how to replace the rear wheel bearing on a 92 Accord cosza Honda 3 1 04 Dec 2003 09:02 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.