Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jul 2007, 01:22 pm
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.

I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
that they would wipe out stuff.

I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
there.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jul 2007, 03:24 pm
MLD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?


"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:equ4939uoquhjns9n630nva2222si5fb88@4ax.com...
> I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
> turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
> records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
> any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>
> I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
> days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
> Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
> that they would wipe out stuff.
>
> I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
> originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
> several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
> there.
>

And your question is.............?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jul 2007, 05:21 pm
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?


"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:equ4939uoquhjns9n630nva2222si5fb88@4ax.com...
>I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
> turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
> records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
> any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.


I'll go you one better. I leased my Accord in December of 2000, four
years later I purchased the car from Honda Canada. The maintenance records
of the vehicle (in fact its very existence) was wiped out of Honda's system
due to the privacy laws here. It's a good thing that I have every piece of
paper regarding the servicing of the car stored in hard copy here at home.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jul 2007, 06:21 pm
bearman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?


"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:equ4939uoquhjns9n630nva2222si5fb88@4ax.com...
>I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
> turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
> records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
> any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>
> I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
> days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
> Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
> that they would wipe out stuff.
>
> I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
> originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
> several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
> there.
>



As a computer programmer, it would be a no sweat job for you to make a
spreadsheet detailing all the work done on your car. Besides being a backup
for the idiot dealer, it makes a good selling point when you want to get rid
of the car.

--
Bearman

If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jul 2007, 10:14 pm
JXStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:22:16 -0400, dgk <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote:

>I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
>turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
>records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
>any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>
>I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
>days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
>Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
>that they would wipe out stuff.
>
>I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
>originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
>several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
>there.


Sounds odd. More likely their disk crashed six months ago and they
had no backup!



J.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2007, 05:33 am
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

JXStern wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:22:16 -0400, dgk <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
>>turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
>>records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
>>any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>>
>>I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
>>days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
>>Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
>>that they would wipe out stuff.
>>
>>I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
>>originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
>>several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
>>there.

>
>
> Sounds odd. More likely their disk crashed six months ago and they
> had no backup!
>
>
>
> J.
>

I had the same thing happen here in N.E.Ohio. I happen to have a
"lifetime" replacement muffler on my '92 Accord, and the dealer doesn't
keep records .
I got a three ring binder, and have kept the originals of ALL the
expenses for the car. Comes in very handy, and has helped me get three
free mufflers and one new radiator! bob
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:28 am
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:24:44 GMT, "MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote:

>
>"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>news:equ4939uoquhjns9n630nva2222si5fb88@4ax.com.. .
>> I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
>> turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
>> records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
>> any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>>
>> I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
>> days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
>> Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
>> that they would wipe out stuff.
>>
>> I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
>> originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
>> several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
>> there.
>>

>And your question is.............?
>

Ah yes, the question is, is this normal Honda policy or was I just
handed a platter of crap?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:28 am
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:21:10 -0600, "bearman" <noyb@home.com> wrote:

>
>"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>news:equ4939uoquhjns9n630nva2222si5fb88@4ax.com.. .
>>I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
>> turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
>> records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
>> any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>>
>> I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
>> days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
>> Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
>> that they would wipe out stuff.
>>
>> I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
>> originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
>> several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
>> there.
>>

>
>
>As a computer programmer, it would be a no sweat job for you to make a
>spreadsheet detailing all the work done on your car. Besides being a backup
>for the idiot dealer, it makes a good selling point when you want to get rid
>of the car.


There are plenty of programs out there that already do this and I'll
admit to just being too lazy (I'll be nice to myself and say "too
busy"). I do keep all the paper and eventually it ends up in a folder.
It just seems so odd that they "routinely" wipe the records. If so, it
makes no sense, and if not, then I don't like being lied to. If they
lie about that, then they'll lie about other stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:59 pm
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

Sign up on Honda Ownerlink and see if your service records are there....


"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:equ4939uoquhjns9n630nva2222si5fb88@4ax.com...
>I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
> turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
> records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
> any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>
> I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
> days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
> Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
> that they would wipe out stuff.
>
> I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
> originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
> several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
> there.
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2007, 10:15 pm
Art
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

Why should a potential buyer believe your spreadsheet. The dealer's records
and paper records adds value to your car when you go to sell it. A
spreadsheet prepared by you doesn't. I don't believe the 6 month crap from
your dealer. With the new built in honda maintenence system, people driving
new Honda's but putting on low mileage won't be back to the dealer every 6
months for an oil change. Will their records be wiped out too? Doubtful.


"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:u6r693du8chtgj7dostukmqfo0rpicg3lh@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:21:10 -0600, "bearman" <noyb@home.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>"dgk" <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>news:equ4939uoquhjns9n630nva2222si5fb88@4ax.com. ..
>>>I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just
>>> turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any
>>> records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
>>> any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
>>>
>>> I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these
>>> days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the
>>> Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense
>>> that they would wipe out stuff.
>>>
>>> I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was
>>> originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there
>>> several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done
>>> there.
>>>

>>
>>
>>As a computer programmer, it would be a no sweat job for you to make a
>>spreadsheet detailing all the work done on your car. Besides being a
>>backup
>>for the idiot dealer, it makes a good selling point when you want to get
>>rid
>>of the car.

>
> There are plenty of programs out there that already do this and I'll
> admit to just being too lazy (I'll be nice to myself and say "too
> busy"). I do keep all the paper and eventually it ends up in a folder.
> It just seems so odd that they "routinely" wipe the records. If so, it
> makes no sense, and if not, then I don't like being lied to. If they
> lie about that, then they'll lie about other stuff.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When a dealer offers 10% off maintenance? void.no.spam.com@gmail.com Honda 2 26 10 Aug 2007 10:22 pm
When a dealer offers 10% off maintenance? void.no.spam.com@gmail.com Honda 3 26 10 Aug 2007 10:22 pm
45K "Suggested Maintenance" from my dealer bechard Honda 2 9 04 Jan 2006 06:20 pm
Re: 45K "Suggested Maintenance" from my dealer bechard Honda 2 0 02 Jan 2006 09:04 am
Honda's ownership records must be a mess! Lanning Honda 3 2 09 Jun 2004 01:11 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.