Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2007, 02:18 pm
sam8988378
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and as
they came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size before. I
looked at the inside of the door and the size is supposed to be 195
60R15. I checked the tires and they are 185 70R14.

Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there be a
reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is there a
reason someone would have chosen the different size? Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2007, 02:24 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

sam8988378 wrote:
> My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and as
> they came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size before. I
> looked at the inside of the door and the size is supposed to be 195
> 60R15. I checked the tires and they are 185 70R14.
>
> Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there be a
> reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is there a
> reason someone would have chosen the different size? Thanks.
>

may have had alloys originally, and someone just swapped out some
steelies from a junkyard? anyway, you're best advised to get a set of
the proper size wheels and tires. junkyard is fine as long as you get
the right size!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2007, 03:50 pm
sam8988378
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

On Jul 7, 3:24 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
> sam8988378 wrote:

I've been Googling all over on this, & from what I've seen, I think
they were replaced with the smaller size because it's more common, so
cheaper. It also seems to be a common substitute (http://www.rims-n-
tires.com/rt_tire.jsp?
req=newCar&brand=Michelin&model=HydroEdge&carYear= 1992&carMake=Honda&carModel=Accord)

However, I have noticed a resonance when driving on the highway with a
window or two open, also it's kind of noisy Perhaps the 195 60R15
size will eliminate this.


> > My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and as
> > they came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size before. I
> > looked at the inside of the door and the size is supposed to be 195
> > 60R15. I checked the tires and they are 185 70R14.

>
> > Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there be a
> > reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is there a
> > reason someone would have chosen the different size? Thanks.

>
> may have had alloys originally, and someone just swapped out some
> steelies from a junkyard? anyway, you're best advised to get a set of
> the proper size wheels and tires. junkyard is fine as long as you get
> the right size!



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2007, 04:15 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 12:18:25 -0700, sam8988378 wrote:

> My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and as they
> came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size before. I looked at
> the inside of the door and the size is supposed to be 195 60R15. I
> checked the tires and they are 185 70R14.
>
> Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there be a
> reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is there a reason
> someone would have chosen the different size? Thanks.



I'm with Jim on this, someone swapped the wheels, and either kept the
alloys or sold them separately.

the 195 is the only size listed on the door? Sometimes Japanese cars will
have a 'stock' size, mounted on steel wheels for the standard size, and a
larger size mounted on alloys for an optional tire.

The resonance may be because it's a cheap tire, or perhaps just a noisy
compound/belt setup.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2007, 09:10 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

sam8988378 <sam8988378@aol.com> wrote in
news:1183841414.807743.68090@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com:

> On Jul 7, 3:24 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
>> sam8988378 wrote:

> I've been Googling all over on this, & from what I've seen, I think
> they were replaced with the smaller size because it's more common, so
> cheaper. It also seems to be a common substitute (http://www.rims-n-
> tires.com/rt_tire.jsp?
> req=newCar&brand=Michelin&model=HydroEdge&carYear= 1992&carMake=Honda&ca
> rModel=Accord)
>
> However, I have noticed a resonance when driving on the highway with a
> window or two open, also it's kind of noisy Perhaps the 195 60R15
> size will eliminate this.
>
>
>> > My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and
>> > as they came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size
>> > before. I looked at the inside of the door and the size is
>> > supposed to be 195 60R15. I checked the tires and they are 185
>> > 70R14.

>>
>> > Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there
>> > be a reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is
>> > there a reason someone would have chosen the different size?
>> > Thanks.

>>
>> may have had alloys originally, and someone just swapped out some
>> steelies from a junkyard? anyway, you're best advised to get a set
>> of the proper size wheels and tires. junkyard is fine as long as you
>> get the right size!

>
>
>


tire noise is probably more affected by tread pattern than wheel size.
lower profile tires also make for a harder ride,the shorter sidewalls of a
60 series tire transmit more impact to the suspension.(but give better
handling)

Narrower tires give slightly better gas mileage,less rolling resistance.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07 Jul 2007, 09:24 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

Jim Yanik wrote:
> sam8988378 <sam8988378@aol.com> wrote in
> news:1183841414.807743.68090@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com:
>
>> On Jul 7, 3:24 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
>>> sam8988378 wrote:

>> I've been Googling all over on this, & from what I've seen, I think
>> they were replaced with the smaller size because it's more common, so
>> cheaper. It also seems to be a common substitute (http://www.rims-n-
>> tires.com/rt_tire.jsp?
>> req=newCar&brand=Michelin&model=HydroEdge&carYear= 1992&carMake=Honda&ca
>> rModel=Accord)
>>
>> However, I have noticed a resonance when driving on the highway with a
>> window or two open, also it's kind of noisy Perhaps the 195 60R15
>> size will eliminate this.
>>
>>
>>>> My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and
>>>> as they came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size
>>>> before. I looked at the inside of the door and the size is
>>>> supposed to be 195 60R15. I checked the tires and they are 185
>>>> 70R14.
>>>> Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there
>>>> be a reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is
>>>> there a reason someone would have chosen the different size?
>>>> Thanks.
>>> may have had alloys originally, and someone just swapped out some
>>> steelies from a junkyard? anyway, you're best advised to get a set
>>> of the proper size wheels and tires. junkyard is fine as long as you
>>> get the right size!

>>
>>

>
> tire noise is probably more affected by tread pattern than wheel size.


compound makes a huge difference too.

> lower profile tires also make for a harder ride,the shorter sidewalls of a
> 60 series tire transmit more impact


kinda. depends more on the tire itself though. from personal
experience i can tell you that 65 michelin hydroedge will batter your
brains out. 60 dunlop sp sports are like butter. [great tire.]

> to the suspension.(but give better
> handling)


again, depends on the tire.

>
> Narrower tires give slightly better gas mileage,less rolling resistance.
>


assuming inflation is within manufacturer specs, compound has more
effect with radial tires.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jul 2007, 12:23 pm
sam8988378
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

The 195 60R15 87H is the only size on the door. I don't think the
rims were swopped, as the car only had one owner before me, a woman
med student who kept somewhat meticulous records in the original Honda
owner's book -in doctorscript of course ; ) .

At the TinyUrl link http://www.tiny.cc/qnJlb to the Michelin site
where the tires were selected by model, make & year, they have
P195/60R15 ( 615x195, 24.2x7.7 )
"Correct size for Accord. 87T". They also list P185/70R14 ( 616x185,
24.3x7.3 )
Correct size for Accord. 87T. But the price difference between the
smaller and larger size is $16.35 per tire. This makes me think that
the smaller size choice was due to cost.

As for the resonance, perhaps it was due to the fact that the tires
are the same ones on the car when I bought it (and drove 12,000
miles), alarmingly now-worn BF Goodrich's. From the outside they look
somewhat worn, but the tire that blew had the tread ripped away,
exposing the metal. Definately time to replace all four, as well as
get another rim w/ tire, & get rid of that stupid doughnut!



On Jul 7, 5:15 pm, Hachiroku <Tru...@AE86.gts> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 12:18:25 -0700, sam8988378 wrote:
> > My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and as they
> > came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size before. I looked at
> > the inside of the door and the size is supposed to be 195 60R15. I
> > checked the tires and they are 185 70R14.

>
> > Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there be a
> > reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is there a reason
> > someone would have chosen the different size? Thanks.

>
> I'm with Jim on this, someone swapped the wheels, and either kept the
> alloys or sold them separately.
>
> the 195 is the only size listed on the door? Sometimes Japanese cars will
> have a 'stock' size, mounted on steel wheels for the standard size, and a
> larger size mounted on alloys for an optional tire.
>
> The resonance may be because it's a cheap tire, or perhaps just a noisy
> compound/belt setup.



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jul 2007, 12:28 pm
sam8988378
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

On Jul 7, 10:10 pm, Jim Yanik <jya...@abuse.gov> wrote:
> sam8988378 <sam8988...@aol.com> wrote innews:1183841414.807743.68090@22g2000hsm.googlegr oups.com:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Jul 7, 3:24 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
> >> sam8988378 wrote:

> > I've been Googling all over on this, & from what I've seen, I think
> > they were replaced with the smaller size because it's more common, so
> > cheaper. It also seems to be a common substitute (http://www.rims-n-
> > tires.com/rt_tire.jsp?
> > req=newCar&brand=Michelin&model=HydroEdge&carYear= 1992&carMake=Honda&ca
> > rModel=Accord)

>
> > However, I have noticed a resonance when driving on the highway with a
> > window or two open, also it's kind of noisy Perhaps the 195 60R15
> > size will eliminate this.

>
> >> > My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and
> >> > as they came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size
> >> > before. I looked at the inside of the door and the size is
> >> > supposed to be 195 60R15. I checked the tires and they are 185
> >> > 70R14.

>
> >> > Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there
> >> > be a reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is
> >> > there a reason someone would have chosen the different size?
> >> > Thanks.

>
> >> may have had alloys originally, and someone just swapped out some
> >> steelies from a junkyard? anyway, you're best advised to get a set
> >> of the proper size wheels and tires. junkyard is fine as long as you
> >> get the right size!

>
> tire noise is probably more affected by tread pattern than wheel size.
> lower profile tires also make for a harder ride,the shorter sidewalls of a
> 60 series tire transmit more impact to the suspension.(but give better
> handling)
>
> Narrower tires give slightly better gas mileage,less rolling resistance.
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


a harder ride? I never thought of that as a factor, but I did have
the suspension checked when I had the exhaust pipes replaced. I
thought something must be amiss because I felt every bump & ragged
road depression. The roads where I live are pretty terrible, and the
car is good on gas, so a smoother ride might be a plus in getting the
195's.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jul 2007, 12:53 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:23:44 -0700, sam8988378 wrote:

> The 195 60R15 87H is the only size on the door. I don't think the rims
> were swopped, as the car only had one owner before me, a woman med student
> who kept somewhat meticulous records in the original Honda owner's book
> -in doctorscript of course ; ) .
>
> At the TinyUrl link http://www.tiny.cc/qnJlb to the Michelin site where
> the tires were selected by model, make & year, they have P195/60R15 (
> 615x195, 24.2x7.7 )
> "Correct size for Accord. 87T". They also list P185/70R14 ( 616x185,
> 24.3x7.3 )
> Correct size for Accord. 87T. But the price difference between the
> smaller and larger size is $16.35 per tire. This makes me think that the
> smaller size choice was due to cost.


And she bought it new?
Somewhere along the line, something got swapped! If the door says a 15",
and you have 14", then something's amiss.

The other possibility is that she wanted to save a few bucks when she
bought the car, and had the alloys 'deleted' at the time of sale, and the
dealer swapped them.

In any case, unless you want to buy new wheels, I would go with the
185/70-14. These will handle OK and will not alter the speedo.

You can also try this:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This is a tire size calculator that shows views of the different tire
sizes you plug into it.

I did a 185/65-14 and a 195/60-14 and the difference is negligible. The
195 will give you a slightly wider tread, and the lower profile (/60) will
give you less sidewall flex. This combination will give you slightly
better handling but a slightly harsher ride (probably hardly noticable).

But you'll also have to make sure they will fit on the wheels, widthwise.

And, as it is now, at 60 MPH, you're actually travelling 58 MPH with the
tires you have on. If you go with a 185/60-14, you'll be doing 57.5 MPH.



>
> As for the resonance, perhaps it was due to the fact that the tires are
> the same ones on the car when I bought it (and drove 12,000 miles),
> alarmingly now-worn BF Goodrich's. From the outside they look somewhat
> worn, but the tire that blew had the tread ripped away, exposing the
> metal. Definately time to replace all four, as well as get another rim w/
> tire, & get rid of that stupid doughnut!
>
>
>
> On Jul 7, 5:15 pm, Hachiroku <Tru...@AE86.gts> wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 12:18:25 -0700, sam8988378 wrote:
>> > My '92 Honda Accord LX tires are sadly in need of replacement, and as
>> > they came with the car I hadn't really looked at the size before. I
>> > looked at the inside of the door and the size is supposed to be 195
>> > 60R15. I checked the tires and they are 185 70R14.

>>
>> > Is there some funny business going on with the rims? Would there be a
>> > reason I couldn't replace them with the specified size? Is there a
>> > reason someone would have chosen the different size? Thanks.

>>
>> I'm with Jim on this, someone swapped the wheels, and either kept the
>> alloys or sold them separately.
>>
>> the 195 is the only size listed on the door? Sometimes Japanese cars
>> will have a 'stock' size, mounted on steel wheels for the standard size,
>> and a larger size mounted on alloys for an optional tire.
>>
>> The resonance may be because it's a cheap tire, or perhaps just a noisy
>> compound/belt setup.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jul 2007, 12:55 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: '92 Accord different tire size then specified by Honda

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:28:33 -0700, sam8988378 wrote:

>> - Show quoted text -

>
> a harder ride? I never thought of that as a factor, but I did have the
> suspension checked when I had the exhaust pipes replaced. I thought
> something must be amiss because I felt every bump & ragged road
> depression. The roads where I live are pretty terrible, and the car is
> good on gas, so a smoother ride might be a plus in getting the 195's.



We're only talking a couple millimeters here. Not a significant difference.
Probably more a factor of the compounds used in the manufacture of the
tire.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire size question rpinoh1 Honda 2 2 28 Jan 2006 08:51 am
Correct tire size? Mofu Honda 3 2 11 Aug 2005 07:20 pm
tire size Fergie Honda 2 3 04 Apr 2004 02:45 pm
CRV-Tire size question Steve Honda 3 2 19 Dec 2003 12:20 am
95 accord wagon wheel/tire size substitution dd Honda 3 1 27 Nov 2003 12:08 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.