Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:36 pm
Pete from Boston
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

This is starting to feel like a CarTalk puzzle, but here goes:

I got rear-ended recently by a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that pretty much
bashed in the rear panel of my 90 Accord beyond reasonable repair. The
trunk lid seems to have popped out of the way -- though it is bent and
won't close, it's not crushed -- and the bumper looks fine, as if the
other car hit above it.

The party who hit me had a bumper on the ground when the accident
happened, but in the time between then and when they finally responded
to their insurance company weeks later, they'd replaced it and denied
anything ever happened.

While there's probably not much I can do to generate actualy proof
anymore, I am curious about one thing -- their insurance company said
the Pacifica front bumper was too low to have possibly caused damage
above my 24-inch-high bumper. I was at a stop, facing downhill, and
the person who hit me claims she was hit from behind first. Can
anyone think of how this could have happened? The insurance company
says it's completely impossible for that car to have caused the
damage. I can only shrug and say, maybe I was dreaming, but I dreamt
someone's insurance policy number onto a piece of paper in their
handwriting if that's the case.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:55 pm
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

Waiving the right to remain silent, Pete from Boston <masspete@my-
deja.com> said:

> This is starting to feel like a CarTalk puzzle, but here goes:
>
> I got rear-ended recently by a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that pretty much
> bashed in the rear panel of my 90 Accord beyond reasonable repair. The
> trunk lid seems to have popped out of the way -- though it is bent and
> won't close, it's not crushed -- and the bumper looks fine, as if the
> other car hit above it.
>
> The party who hit me had a bumper on the ground when the accident
> happened, but in the time between then and when they finally responded
> to their insurance company weeks later, they'd replaced it and denied
> anything ever happened.


You're obviously dealing with a liar who is attempting to evade
responsibility. That's another crime.

> While there's probably not much I can do to generate actualy proof
> anymore, I am curious about one thing -- their insurance company said
> the Pacifica front bumper was too low to have possibly caused damage
> above my 24-inch-high bumper. I was at a stop, facing downhill, and
> the person who hit me claims she was hit from behind first. Can
> anyone think of how this could have happened? The insurance company
> says it's completely impossible for that car to have caused the
> damage. I can only shrug and say, maybe I was dreaming, but I dreamt
> someone's insurance policy number onto a piece of paper in their
> handwriting if that's the case.


One scenario is that the Pacifica's bumper crumpled, and the damage to
your car was caused by material ABOVE the Pacifica's bumper. Either that,
or the Pacifica, if it was hit from behind, lurched upward somehow to hit
you.

It's all moot if the Pacifica's driver wrote their insurance claim number
for you. That, in itself, is admisison that the incident happened.

You should be able to wreck that bastard in court, if you can hang out
long enough...

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 03:40 pm
john doe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord


"Pete from Boston" <masspete@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:1182281813.565105.311660@o61g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
<snip>

Police report?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 04:36 pm
william1977@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

On Jun 19, 12:36 pm, Pete from Boston <massp...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> This is starting to feel like a CarTalk puzzle, but here goes:
>
> I got rear-ended recently by a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that pretty much
> bashed in the rear panel of my 90 Accord beyond reasonable repair. The
> trunk lid seems to have popped out of the way -- though it is bent and
> won't close, it's not crushed -- and the bumper looks fine, as if the
> other car hit above it.
>
> The party who hit me had a bumper on the ground when the accident
> happened, but in the time between then and when they finally responded
> to their insurance company weeks later, they'd replaced it and denied
> anything ever happened.
>
> While there's probably not much I can do to generate actualy proof
> anymore, I am curious about one thing -- their insurance company said
> the Pacifica front bumper was too low to have possibly caused damage
> above my 24-inch-high bumper. I was at a stop, facing downhill, and
> the person who hit me claims she was hit from behind first. Can
> anyone think of how this could have happened? The insurance company
> says it's completely impossible for that car to have caused the
> damage. I can only shrug and say, maybe I was dreaming, but I dreamt
> someone's insurance policy number onto a piece of paper in their
> handwriting if that's the case.


Always CALL THE COPS! I know that this wont help you now but it will
next time. If you have full coverage insurance just pay your
deductible and let the insurance companys duke it out. If your side
wins you will get your deductible back. If you don't have full
coverage you can sue the person that hit you. As far as I know just
because the insurance company screws you over that does not make the
person who hit you not responsible for the damage that they caused.
Did you get the name address drivers license number license plate
number from the person that hit you? If you did I would show up at
there house and ask them why they are trying to screw you over. People
will sometimes cave in if they are confronted with there lies.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:14 pm
Pete from Boston
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

On Jun 19, 5:36 pm, william1...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 19, 12:36 pm, Pete from Boston <massp...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > This is starting to feel like a CarTalk puzzle, but here goes:

>
> > I got rear-ended recently by a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that pretty much
> > bashed in the rear panel of my 90 Accord beyond reasonable repair. The
> > trunk lid seems to have popped out of the way -- though it is bent and
> > won't close, it's not crushed -- and the bumper looks fine, as if the
> > other car hit above it.

>
> > The party who hit me had a bumper on the ground when the accident
> > happened, but in the time between then and when they finally responded
> > to their insurance company weeks later, they'd replaced it and denied
> > anything ever happened.

>
> > While there's probably not much I can do to generate actualy proof
> > anymore, I am curious about one thing -- their insurance company said
> > the Pacifica front bumper was too low to have possibly caused damage
> > above my 24-inch-high bumper. I was at a stop, facing downhill, and
> > the person who hit me claims she was hit from behind first. Can
> > anyone think of how this could have happened? The insurance company
> > says it's completely impossible for that car to have caused the
> > damage. I can only shrug and say, maybe I was dreaming, but I dreamt
> > someone's insurance policy number onto a piece of paper in their
> > handwriting if that's the case.

>
> Always CALL THE COPS! I know that this wont help you now but it will
> next time. If you have full coverage insurance just pay your
> deductible and let the insurance companys duke it out. If your side
> wins you will get your deductible back. If you don't have full
> coverage you can sue the person that hit you. As far as I know just
> because the insurance company screws you over that does not make the
> person who hit you not responsible for the damage that they caused.
> Did you get the name address drivers license number license plate
> number from the person that hit you? If you did I would show up at
> there house and ask them why they are trying to screw you over. People
> will sometimes cave in if they are confronted with there lies.


There was a cop there when it happened. I asked for his assistance.
He said to go away. Seriously. "What should I do?" I asked. "You
should go back to your car," he replied. "About the accident, I
mean," he said. "Go back to your car," he said. I may be pursuing
that situation a little further.

Later, when I called the insurance company and they asked if I called
the police, I explained what had happened. They asked if I'd gotten
the other person's info, and said, "Sounds like you did what you
should have." At the time it didn't occur to me that there was
anything to be achieved by calling the cops, but only now do I realize
it would've made some difference.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:20 pm
Pete from Boston
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

On Jun 19, 3:55 pm, Larry in AZ <usen...@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com>
wrote:
> Waiving the right to remain silent, Pete from Boston <masspete@my-
> deja.com> said:
>
> > This is starting to feel like a CarTalk puzzle, but here goes:

>
> > I got rear-ended recently by a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that pretty much
> > bashed in the rear panel of my 90 Accord beyond reasonable repair. The
> > trunk lid seems to have popped out of the way -- though it is bent and
> > won't close, it's not crushed -- and the bumper looks fine, as if the
> > other car hit above it.

>
> > The party who hit me had a bumper on the ground when the accident
> > happened, but in the time between then and when they finally responded
> > to their insurance company weeks later, they'd replaced it and denied
> > anything ever happened.

>
> You're obviously dealing with a liar who is attempting to evade
> responsibility. That's another crime.
>
> > While there's probably not much I can do to generate actualy proof
> > anymore, I am curious about one thing -- their insurance company said
> > the Pacifica front bumper was too low to have possibly caused damage
> > above my 24-inch-high bumper. I was at a stop, facing downhill, and
> > the person who hit me claims she was hit from behind first. Can
> > anyone think of how this could have happened? The insurance company
> > says it's completely impossible for that car to have caused the
> > damage. I can only shrug and say, maybe I was dreaming, but I dreamt
> > someone's insurance policy number onto a piece of paper in their
> > handwriting if that's the case.

>
> One scenario is that the Pacifica's bumper crumpled, and the damage to
> your car was caused by material ABOVE the Pacifica's bumper. Either that,
> or the Pacifica, if it was hit from behind, lurched upward somehow to hit
> you.
>
> It's all moot if the Pacifica's driver wrote their insurance claim number
> for you. That, in itself, is admisison that the incident happened.
>
> You should be able to wreck that bastard in court, if you can hang out
> long enough...


Unlikely. Out of state, for one. No hard evidence, second. And
lastly their insurance company is unimpressed that I magically have
someone's info without them hitting me.

It was pouring rain and I had a lot on my mind in the post-accident
whirlwind (word to the wise: get in an accident only with a friend in
the car to remind you of these things), and idiot me didn't take
pictures. I will never make that mistake again.

But yes, in the time I kept calling their company and asking if they'd
gotten in touch with them, they kept telling me "they have 30 days to
respond," plenty of time to get their own minor damage repaired. I
kept telling their company this, and then was, of course, not the
least bit surprised when they lied.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:41 pm
william1977@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

The police actually have to be dispatched to an accident unless they
actually saw it happen.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 06:50 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

Pete from Boston <masspete@my-deja.com> wrote in
news:1182281813.565105.311660@o61g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com:

> This is starting to feel like a CarTalk puzzle, but here goes:
>
> I got rear-ended recently by a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that pretty much
> bashed in the rear panel of my 90 Accord beyond reasonable repair. The
> trunk lid seems to have popped out of the way -- though it is bent and
> won't close, it's not crushed -- and the bumper looks fine, as if the
> other car hit above it.
>
> The party who hit me had a bumper on the ground when the accident
> happened, but in the time between then and when they finally responded
> to their insurance company weeks later, they'd replaced it and denied
> anything ever happened.


You DID exchange insurance and license information?
that alone would be evidence that -something- happened.
Else why would she give you her info?
>
> While there's probably not much I can do to generate actualy proof
> anymore, I am curious about one thing -- their insurance company said
> the Pacifica front bumper was too low to have possibly caused damage
> above my 24-inch-high bumper. I was at a stop, facing downhill, and
> the person who hit me claims she was hit from behind first. Can
> anyone think of how this could have happened? The insurance company
> says it's completely impossible for that car to have caused the
> damage. I can only shrug and say, maybe I was dreaming, but I dreamt
> someone's insurance policy number onto a piece of paper in their
> handwriting if that's the case.
>


ALWAYS call the police and get a police report filled out.
Cellphone cameras are VERY useful,too. Or if there's a drugstore nearby,
buy a disposable camera and take pix.

regardless of whether she was hit from behind,she still is liable for
damage her vehicle caused to your auto.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jun 2007, 08:31 pm
JD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

Pete from Boston wrote:
> This is starting to feel like a CarTalk puzzle, but here goes:
>
> I got rear-ended recently by a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that pretty much
> bashed in the rear panel of my 90 Accord beyond reasonable repair. The
> trunk lid seems to have popped out of the way -- though it is bent and
> won't close, it's not crushed -- and the bumper looks fine, as if the
> other car hit above it.
>
> The party who hit me had a bumper on the ground when the accident
> happened, but in the time between then and when they finally responded
> to their insurance company weeks later, they'd replaced it and denied
> anything ever happened.
>
> While there's probably not much I can do to generate actualy proof
> anymore, I am curious about one thing -- their insurance company said
> the Pacifica front bumper was too low to have possibly caused damage
> above my 24-inch-high bumper. I was at a stop, facing downhill, and
> the person who hit me claims she was hit from behind first. Can
> anyone think of how this could have happened? The insurance company
> says it's completely impossible for that car to have caused the
> damage. I can only shrug and say, maybe I was dreaming, but I dreamt
> someone's insurance policy number onto a piece of paper in their
> handwriting if that's the case.
>


You may be be screwed? If the other party is denying it ever happened
then it's your responsibility to prove that it did. Your 90 Accord is
older than my 92 Civic. Repair the damages to have it pass safety
inspection and move on. We're both driving old cars.

Minor accidents are bad news. Police don't care unless someone is
injured. If you don't have pictures then there is no evidence unless you
have a witness.

Bad insurance companies will always say it wasn't their customer's fault.

Please don't shoot the messenger. That would be me.

--
JD..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:28 am
Joe LaVigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord

william1977@gmail.com wrote:

> The police actually have to be dispatched to an accident unless they
> actually saw it happen.


Who said the police were involved at all?

In my town, the police will not come out for a property damage only accident
of 2 cars. This isn't uncommon in cities where they have... crime...


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to demonstrate impact on 90 Accord Pete from Boston Honda 3 14 03 Jul 2007 10:50 am
Impact screwdriver twillmon@cybermesa.net Honda 2 9 15 May 2005 09:36 am
Please Help. 2003 Accord side impact sensor troubleshooting eric68 Honda 3 1 19 Oct 2004 09:13 pm
Honda Element IIHS Side Impact Test: POOR Tim Honda 1 8 28 May 2004 07:42 pm
Honda Element IIHS Side Impact Test: POOR Tim Honda 2 8 28 May 2004 07:42 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.