Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2007, 08:51 am
carairconditionersmail@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need help with car air conditioner..

http://car-air-conditioning.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:20 pm
the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

On Jun 12, 9:51 am, carairconditionersm...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://car-air-conditioning.blogspot.com/


Flagged your blog for you.

a.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:53 pm
spam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..


<the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1181668856.354980.301620@r19g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
> On Jun 12, 9:51 am, carairconditionersm...@gmail.com wrote:
>> http://car-air-conditioning.blogspot.com/

>
> Flagged your blog for you.
>
> a.
>stop spamming your blog.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:28 pm
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Jun 12, 9:51 am, carairconditionersm...@gmail.com wrote:
>> http://car-air-conditioning.blogspot.com/

>
> Flagged your blog for you.
>
> a.
>


I finally checked out this "Blog". I'm reading along about theory, descriptions of
various parts, etc. thinking, "Hmm, this really isn't bad. Looks like a good place to
refer a beginner".
That was until I came to the sections about charging the system and Retrofitting the
system. It then became obvious that this site is nothing more than an advertisement
for f***ing Interdynamics!! That's the major manufacturer of AC "Death Kits" sold in
chain parts stores like AutoZone.
There is no mention of checking\replacing the metering device, flushing, evacuation,
leak detection, etc. Just "Connect the handy hose on our product Here", sealers,
boosters and all! Your AC will work like new.
This kind of shoddy advertising and marketing just makes me ill. I make a ton of
money repairing the damage Interdynamics products do to systems in the hands of people
with no AC experience. The flashy advertising lulls them into believeing that they
only need to spend $30 to fix the problem that the "ripoff" AC shop said would cost
$300. They learn too late that the $30 fix is now going to cost $1000.
There are a number of "tightasses" out there who can afford to have the system fixed
properly, but will not. When their system fails as a result of using these products, I
feel a bit bad but will gladly take their money to fix it right. Hopefully they
learned a lesson.
It's the other segment of Interdynamics target customer that I truly feel bad for,
and feel the worst about being the bearer of bad news. The folks on a limited income
who can least afford to lose even $30 to these sham artists, much less an added $500+
to their repair bill. They try these junk fixes due to believing the flashy labelling,
professional looking website, and lack of proper instructions.
It's truly disgusting!!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making money. The larger the amount the better. But I
don't like to make money off the backs of people who have been screwed over by
predatory marketing like this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2007, 06:41 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

"Tom Adkins" <nospam@centurytel.net> wrote in message
news:P96dnUT166sIefPbnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@centurytel.n et...
> the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Jun 12, 9:51 am, carairconditionersm...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> http://car-air-conditioning.blogspot.com/

>>
>> Flagged your blog for you.
>>
>> a.
>>

>
> I finally checked out this "Blog". I'm reading along about theory,
> descriptions of various parts, etc. thinking, "Hmm, this really isn't bad.
> Looks like a good place to refer a beginner".
> That was until I came to the sections about charging the system and
> Retrofitting the system. It then became obvious that this site is nothing
> more than an advertisement for f***ing Interdynamics!! That's the major
> manufacturer of AC "Death Kits" sold in chain parts stores like AutoZone.
> There is no mention of checking\replacing the metering device, flushing,
> evacuation, leak detection, etc. Just "Connect the handy hose on our
> product Here", sealers, boosters and all! Your AC will work like new.
> This kind of shoddy advertising and marketing just makes me ill. I make a
> ton of money repairing the damage Interdynamics products do to systems in
> the hands of people with no AC experience. The flashy advertising lulls
> them into believeing that they only need to spend $30 to fix the problem
> that the "ripoff" AC shop said would cost $300. They learn too late that
> the $30 fix is now going to cost $1000.
> There are a number of "tightasses" out there who can afford to have the
> system fixed properly, but will not. When their system fails as a result
> of using these products, I feel a bit bad but will gladly take their money
> to fix it right. Hopefully they learned a lesson.
> It's the other segment of Interdynamics target customer that I truly feel
> bad for, and feel the worst about being the bearer of bad news. The folks
> on a limited income who can least afford to lose even $30 to these sham
> artists, much less an added $500+ to their repair bill. They try these
> junk fixes due to believing the flashy labelling, professional looking
> website, and lack of proper instructions.
> It's truly disgusting!!
>
> Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making money. The larger the amount the
> better. But I don't like to make money off the backs of people who have
> been screwed over by predatory marketing like this.
>


That's what it looked like to me, too. Most of the writeup was okay (not as
good as http://www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/quick.html), but the
marketing part is no favor to anybody.

Mike



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:36 pm
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

Michael Pardee wrote:
>
> That's what it looked like to me, too. Most of the writeup was okay (not as
> good as http://www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/quick.html), but the
> marketing part is no favor to anybody.
>
> Mike



You are correct, www.autoacsystems.com is a great site. The FAQ section is excellent
for DIYers that aren't familiar with servicing their AC system. Straight, correct
answers and no marketing. Myself, I'm partial to www.autoacforum.com. There's a great
bunch of guys there, many of them MVAC professionals, who are always willing to help a
DIYer fix their AC (the right way). The site sponsor, Arizona Mobile Air, is a great
supplier of MVAC parts and equipment at excellent prices and excellent quality. (I'm
not connected to AMA, just a happy customer).

I have a bit of a personal problem with Interdynamics, as well as my professional
side being offended by their shoddy products. I can't count the times that, when I
quote $400-600 for a proper R-134a retrofit, I hear "But I can buy the kit for $40,
and my buddy used it with no problem". Even though I know the answer, it's hard to
argue with what they may have seen someone else do. I've been called a crook too many
times. For every non-failure when using those kits (I refuse to call it a sucess) I
see 5 or more people who weren't as lucky.
It's the same with their "recharge kits" and other magic in a can products. The
customer says "Nah, I don't want to spend $200 to fix the leak and recharge the AC on
my 10 year old car. I'll just add some sealer and charge it myself for $20". They then
come back 2 weeks later with the compressor knocking, or grenaded, and and look at me
like I'm the bad guy when I tell them it's going to cost close to $1K to fix it right.
I charge $150 on top of all else if I detect sealer in an AC system. The refrigerant
is not recyclable(I have to pay to dispose of it) and I've had one machine damaged to
the tune of $1K by that garbage.
The bad part is, I do MVAC as a sideline to make a few extra bucks in the summer.(My
"real" job is a Network Administrator) I enjoy AC repair and also do electrical
repair, yeah I'm a masochist. I don't have the overhead of most independent shops
and can do the work "cheap" in my garage. I can't even imagine what the "real" shops
go through with this crap.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:29 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

"Tom Adkins" <nospam@centurytel.net> wrote in message
news:0_qdnRhPSNW77vLbnZ2dnUVZ_ualnZ2d@centurytel.n et...
>
> You are correct, www.autoacsystems.com is a great site. The FAQ section is
> excellent for DIYers that aren't familiar with servicing their AC system.
> Straight, correct answers and no marketing. Myself, I'm partial to
> www.autoacforum.com. There's a great bunch of guys there, many of them
> MVAC professionals, who are always willing to help a DIYer fix their AC
> (the right way). The site sponsor, Arizona Mobile Air, is a great supplier
> of MVAC parts and equipment at excellent prices and excellent quality.
> (I'm not connected to AMA, just a happy customer).
>
> I have a bit of a personal problem with Interdynamics, as well as my
> professional side being offended by their shoddy products. I can't count
> the times that, when I quote $400-600 for a proper R-134a retrofit, I hear
> "But I can buy the kit for $40, and my buddy used it with no problem".
> Even though I know the answer, it's hard to argue with what they may have
> seen someone else do. I've been called a crook too many times. For every
> non-failure when using those kits (I refuse to call it a sucess) I see 5
> or more people who weren't as lucky.
> It's the same with their "recharge kits" and other magic in a can
> products. The customer says "Nah, I don't want to spend $200 to fix the
> leak and recharge the AC on my 10 year old car. I'll just add some sealer
> and charge it myself for $20". They then come back 2 weeks later with the
> compressor knocking, or grenaded, and and look at me like I'm the bad guy
> when I tell them it's going to cost close to $1K to fix it right. I charge
> $150 on top of all else if I detect sealer in an AC system. The
> refrigerant is not recyclable(I have to pay to dispose of it) and I've
> had one machine damaged to the tune of $1K by that garbage.
> The bad part is, I do MVAC as a sideline to make a few extra bucks in the
> summer.(My "real" job is a Network Administrator) I enjoy AC repair and
> also do electrical repair, yeah I'm a masochist. I don't have the
> overhead of most independent shops and can do the work "cheap" in my
> garage. I can't even imagine what the "real" shops go through with this
> crap.
>


I have a clue: outside of dealerships that have to do A/C, we have only one
shop left in our college town of 50K people that still does auto A/C. Some
of that is undoubtedly because of equipment costs to conform to modern
requirements, but I'm sure the hassles you describe are a factor.

I fancy I have a good feel for when I have a handle on a situation and when
it is walking all over me. I felt good about R12 and I felt lost when I
tried recharging R134a. Others may feel differently.

I understand your distinction between "non-failure" and "success." Just
because something works similar to the way it was designed to doesn't mean
it is working right.

Mike



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2007, 12:39 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

"Tom Adkins" <nospam@centurytel.net> wrote in message
news:0_qdnRhPSNW77vLbnZ2dnUVZ_ualnZ2d@centurytel.n et...
>
> You are correct, www.autoacsystems.com is a great site. The FAQ section is
> excellent for DIYers that aren't familiar with servicing their AC system.
> Straight, correct answers and no marketing. Myself, I'm partial to
> www.autoacforum.com. There's a great bunch of guys there, many of them
> MVAC professionals, who are always willing to help a DIYer fix their AC
> (the right way). The site sponsor, Arizona Mobile Air, is a great supplier
> of MVAC parts and equipment at excellent prices and excellent quality.
> (I'm not connected to AMA, just a happy customer).
>


Ah! Thanks for the link, Tom. A few of the topics explained my trouble with
trying to recharge "by ear" and thermostat/guage: the system response is
very slow. Much was made of the need to go slowly (we were adding about an
ounce per minute steadily and not allowing the system nearly enough time to
settle) and the ease of overcharging when doing this. Theoretically, the add
and check process will work with enough cooling of the condensor - the
article recommended a wind tunnel! Doing it by weight makes a lot more
sense.

Mike



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2007, 02:51 am
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "Tom Adkins" <nospam@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> news:0_qdnRhPSNW77vLbnZ2dnUVZ_ualnZ2d@centurytel.n et...
>> You are correct, www.autoacsystems.com is a great site. The FAQ section is
>> excellent for DIYers that aren't familiar with servicing their AC system.
>> Straight, correct answers and no marketing. Myself, I'm partial to
>> www.autoacforum.com. There's a great bunch of guys there, many of them
>> MVAC professionals, who are always willing to help a DIYer fix their AC
>> (the right way). The site sponsor, Arizona Mobile Air, is a great supplier
>> of MVAC parts and equipment at excellent prices and excellent quality.
>> (I'm not connected to AMA, just a happy customer).
>>

>
> Ah! Thanks for the link, Tom. A few of the topics explained my trouble with
> trying to recharge "by ear" and thermostat/guage: the system response is
> very slow. Much was made of the need to go slowly (we were adding about an
> ounce per minute steadily and not allowing the system nearly enough time to
> settle) and the ease of overcharging when doing this. Theoretically, the add
> and check process will work with enough cooling of the condensor - the
> article recommended a wind tunnel! Doing it by weight makes a lot more
> sense.
>
> Mike
>
>
>

Mike,
I'm glad it helped and you got the answers you needed. That's what that the
contributors there try for.
I missed the "wind tunnel" reference, but the cooler you can make the condenser, the
better the system will cycle added refrigerant (stabilize).
Charging "by ear" can work once you develop a "feel" for it. That's how I do it (I
always use a scale for accuracy and reference it to verify or tweak my "feel"). The
big problem in a public forum is how to describe to someone how you "feel" the system
is fully charged. It's like trying to describe "how tight is snug? or how much is
"just a little bit".
Yup, doing it "by weight" is the easiest, most accurate way.
Keep reading, there's lots of good "nitty gritty" information there.
While you're doing that, I'm going to re-familiarize myself with
www.autoacsystems.com. Last time I was there, the site was really new. They've added a
lot more content since then. Thanks for the reminder.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jun 2007, 03:30 am
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need help with car air conditioner..

Michael Pardee wrote:
> I have a clue: outside of dealerships that have to do A/C, we have only one
> shop left in our college town of 50K people that still does auto A/C. Some
> of that is undoubtedly because of equipment costs to conform to modern
> requirements, but I'm sure the hassles you describe are a factor.
>
> I fancy I have a good feel for when I have a handle on a situation and when
> it is walking all over me. I felt good about R12 and I felt lost when I
> tried recharging R134a. Others may feel differently.
>
> I understand your distinction between "non-failure" and "success." Just
> because something works similar to the way it was designed to doesn't mean
> it is working right.
>
> Mike


You may be right. I can't say that I would shut down my "cottage business" due to
hassles caused by Interdynamics products, but they certainly add to the frustration.
The "real" AC repair shops likely deal with it as a part of doing business.
That one shop in your town that still does AC would likely be more affected by
customer perception (caused by ID products?) than by compliance issues. The
requirement to have a certain machine hurts initially, but usually pays for itself
quickly if the shop is busy. This is, of course, assuming that the shop specializes in
Heating/ Cooling repairs and is not a "general" shop that does MVAC too. Small local
"repair" shops really labor under the regulations for MVAC service. That's why many
don't do it these days.

I too have a good feel for when a situation is walking all over me. I can always
spot it starting "back there somewhere". This is especially true in my personal
life. I have 2 teen daughters that I adore, and 2 ex-wives that...well..., God grant
me the serenity...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with car air conditioner.. carairconditionersmail@gmail.com Honda 3 0 12 Jun 2007 08:42 am
iddle problems when air conditioner is on helpme1 Honda 2 3 14 Sep 2005 07:27 am
Honda Civic 91 Air Conditioner Help please! elmo Honda 3 0 12 Aug 2005 09:53 pm
Air Conditioner Troubleshooting Ron Honda 2 4 23 Jun 2004 09:10 pm
Air Conditioner - 93 Accord sct10 Honda 3 2 21 Apr 2004 12:20 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.