Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2012, 01:37 pm
Joe J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.

I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired now
and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick with the
4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or do it more
often because of the length of time?

Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2012, 03:58 pm
DiogenesOfSinope
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:37:41 -0600, Joe J wrote:

> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>
> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
> do it more often because of the length of time?
>
> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.
>
> Thanks,


Maybe once a year. Go by how dirty it is.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2012, 08:23 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

On 03/02/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>
> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
> do it more often because of the length of time?
>
> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.
>
> Thanks,


who let the trolls out?


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2012, 10:01 pm
Rover
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

On 3/2/2012 6:23 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 03/02/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
>> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>>
>> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
>> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
>> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
>> do it more often because of the length of time?
>>
>> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.
>>
>> Thanks,

>
> who let the trolls out?
>
>

Looking for troll under every bush?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2012, 01:39 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

On 3/2/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>
> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
> do it more often because of the length of time?
>
> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.


I faced this issue myself with my '94 Accord because its Owner's Manual
says something about changing oil at every 3,750 miles or 3 months under
"severe" conditions, whichever happens sooner. From the way "severe"
conditions are defined, practically every driving qualifies for it. So I
just ignore the 3 month interval and go with the milage intervals,
figuring the newer and better oils can take the longer time interval
with the Honda filters. Well, if not, at least I'll have a good excuse
getting a new car. The current one more than served its purpose already.
But a new car would probably not be a Honda again but a Subaru.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2012, 02:06 pm
Joe J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?


"jim beam" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:jirvb5$t53$4@speranza.aioe.org...
> On 03/02/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
>> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>>
>> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
>> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
>> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
>> do it more often because of the length of time?
>>
>> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.
>>
>> Thanks,

>
> who let the trolls out?

Don't know what your problem is. It is a legitimate question and I was
looking for an answer. Piss off!



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2012, 05:34 pm
Rover
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

On 3/3/2012 12:06 PM, Joe J wrote:
>
> "jim beam" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:jirvb5$t53$4@speranza.aioe.org...
>> On 03/02/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
>>> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>>>
>>> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
>>> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
>>> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
>>> do it more often because of the length of time?
>>>
>>> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>
>> who let the trolls out?

> Don't know what your problem is. It is a legitimate question and I was
> looking for an answer. Piss off!


Now you're playing with fire, Joe, as he redirects his flames from
tegger to you. Brace yourself.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

On 03/03/2012 12:06 PM, Joe J wrote:
>
> "jim beam" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:jirvb5$t53$4@speranza.aioe.org...
>> On 03/02/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
>>> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>>>
>>> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
>>> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
>>> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
>>> do it more often because of the length of time?
>>>
>>> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>
>> who let the trolls out?

> Don't know what your problem is. It is a legitimate question and I was
> looking for an answer. Piss off!
>


"the answer" was posted only three days ago. so, you're not asking a
"legitimate" question otherwise you'd have posted in the other thread.

just like you're ignoring other posters but being confrontational with
me. troll.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05 Mar 2012, 09:53 am
C. E. White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?


"cameo" <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in message
news:jitrv0$r6i$1@dont-email.me...
> On 3/2/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
>> 1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
>>
>> I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired
>> now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick
>> with the 4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or
>> do it more often because of the length of time?
>>
>> Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.

>
> I faced this issue myself with my '94 Accord because its Owner's Manual
> says something about changing oil at every 3,750 miles or 3 months under
> "severe" conditions, whichever happens sooner. From the way "severe"
> conditions are defined, practically every driving qualifies for it.


I am not sure what is in the manual for a 1994 Accord, but more recent
manuals have tried to counteract the idea that normal sorts of usage qualify
as severe. The 1997 Civic Manual says:

Normal
The "normal" schedule is fine for most drivers, even if
they occasionally drive in severe conditions.

Severe
Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or
more of these conditions most of the time:

Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in
freezing weather)
Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F)
Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving
Trailer towing, car-top carrier, or mountain
driving
Muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads

In the manual, "most of the time" is italicized for emphasis.

I agree the phrase "most of the time" is subject to interpertation, I
believe few people actually qualify (well except if you ask at Jiffy Lube).
Calling 90 degrees extremely hot is a joke, at leaat in the US, but it is
the one condition in the list I come close to meeting. But even if you live
in a moderately hot climate, how often do you drive when the temeprature is
above 90 over the course of a three month period. Usually when I drive to
work it is below 90, even on days that are truly extremely hot (>95). And
when I return home, it often also below 90 on such days. So I doubt I
actually qualify. I think my ex-wife qualified for the severe service
schedule, at least in the Summer (she never left the house before ten, never
drove very far, never used the highway and always left the car idling to
keep the A/C running) but most people I know don't.

More modern Hondas use a smart maintenance indicator, so you don't have to
worry about the severe schedule nonsense.

Ed


> So I just ignore the 3 month interval and go with the milage intervals,
> figuring the newer and better oils can take the longer time interval with
> the Honda filters. Well, if not, at least I'll have a good excuse getting
> a new car. The current one more than served its purpose already. But a new
> car would probably not be a Honda again but a Subaru.
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05 Mar 2012, 01:24 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

On 3/5/2012 7:53 AM, C. E. White wrote:
> Severe
> Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or
> more of these conditions most of the time:
>
> Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in
> freezing weather)


This is it for me. Since I retired, most of my trips are less than 5
miles, though living in the Seattle area extreme temps are not really a
problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is my 99 Acura Integra burning 5 quarts of oil in 3 months and 2K miles? ravana1 Acura Technical 1 06 Aug 2010 02:31 pm
Oil Change Frequency Mel P. Honda 3 20 06 Aug 2010 12:10 pm
is it normal to have corrosion on a honda civic 2008 with only 2800 miles and two months old? gisela y Honda Technical 6 03 Nov 2008 09:16 am
Oil change frequency for highway mileage? dontdamnme_79@yahoo.com Honda 3 8 17 Jul 2005 11:47 am
2004 Civic LX Oil Change Frequency Dennis Marks Honda 3 18 28 Apr 2004 03:29 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.