Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2012, 07:22 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Crude based or synthetic oil ...

I've been using crude based Castrol 5W-30 oil for my '94 Accord because
that's what my Honda Service used while I was taking my car there. The
Owner's Manual calls for various types of maintenance service at every
7,500 miles that includes oil change, of course. I've been also having
oil change only at midway of these mainteance intervals. So basically
I've been changing oil at every 3,750 miles.

Lately I've been wondering if I could save those "mid-term" oil changes
if I switched to synthetic oil. I'd like to hear some expert opinion on
that here and if the recommendation is yes, what type of synthetic oil
would take me as well to 7,500 miles as the Castrol crude based takes me
to 3,750 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2012, 07:53 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:jimitt$n2p$1@dont-email.me:

> I've been using crude based Castrol 5W-30 oil for my '94 Accord because
> that's what my Honda Service used while I was taking my car there. The
> Owner's Manual calls for various types of maintenance service at every
> 7,500 miles that includes oil change, of course. I've been also having
> oil change only at midway of these mainteance intervals. So basically
> I've been changing oil at every 3,750 miles.
>
> Lately I've been wondering if I could save those "mid-term" oil changes
> if I switched to synthetic oil. I'd like to hear some expert opinion on
> that here and if the recommendation is yes, what type of synthetic oil
> would take me as well to 7,500 miles as the Castrol crude based takes me
> to 3,750 miles.
>



How many miles on the Accord?

How many miles per year?

What part of the country do you live in?

What kind of driving do you do? Lots of city, lots of highway? An even mix?

--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2012, 08:34 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

On 02/29/2012 05:22 PM, cameo wrote:
> I've been using crude based Castrol 5W-30 oil for my '94 Accord because
> that's what my Honda Service used while I was taking my car there. The
> Owner's Manual calls for various types of maintenance service at every
> 7,500 miles that includes oil change, of course. I've been also having
> oil change only at midway of these mainteance intervals. So basically
> I've been changing oil at every 3,750 miles.
>
> Lately I've been wondering if I could save those "mid-term" oil changes
> if I switched to synthetic oil. I'd like to hear some expert opinion on
> that here and if the recommendation is yes, what type of synthetic oil
> would take me as well to 7,500 miles as the Castrol crude based takes me
> to 3,750 miles.


cT 0.99

both engine management systems and engine oils have moved on since the
1950's when the 3000 mile change was recommended. you need to too. use
ordinary oil and go ahead and change it per the owners manual. if you
want to use synthetic, you can exetend that period considerably.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733

if you don't believe, pay for oil analysis and get the hard facts for
yourself. [it's cheaper than paying for constant oil changes like
you're doing now!]

oh, and most "synthetic" oil these days is mineral based. a little more
refined maybe [they call it isomerization], but mineral based
nevertheless. don't get suckered into the hype unless you know what
you're doing. or paying for.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2012, 08:39 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

On 02/29/2012 05:53 PM, Tegger wrote:
> cameo<cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:jimitt$n2p$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> I've been using crude based Castrol 5W-30 oil for my '94 Accord because
>> that's what my Honda Service used while I was taking my car there. The
>> Owner's Manual calls for various types of maintenance service at every
>> 7,500 miles that includes oil change, of course. I've been also having
>> oil change only at midway of these mainteance intervals. So basically
>> I've been changing oil at every 3,750 miles.
>>
>> Lately I've been wondering if I could save those "mid-term" oil changes
>> if I switched to synthetic oil. I'd like to hear some expert opinion on
>> that here and if the recommendation is yes, what type of synthetic oil
>> would take me as well to 7,500 miles as the Castrol crude based takes me
>> to 3,750 miles.
>>

>
>
> How many miles on the Accord?


irrelevant.


>
> How many miles per year?


hardly relevant unless it's really low.


>
> What part of the country do you live in?


unless it's alaska or nevada, that's hardly relevant either.


>
> What kind of driving do you do? Lots of city, lots of highway? An even mix?
>


at 3750, that's irrelevant too.

try to look at the big picture - the guy's almost certainly a troll
given that this topic has been beaten to death countless times before.

and you're not helping with your inconsistency between your
recommendation to stick to the owners manual on any topic EXCEPT oil
change intervals, where you go completely nutso and would have people
superstitiously changing their oil every day if you could.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

On 2/29/2012 5:53 PM, Tegger wrote:

> How many miles on the Accord?


300,004 miles.

> How many miles per year?


Now that I retired, only about 12,000.

> What part of the country do you live in?


Puget Sound.

> What kind of driving do you do? Lots of city, lots of highway? An even mix?


About half suburban, half freeway.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2012, 05:59 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:jiogc7$eg9$1@dont-email.me:

> On 2/29/2012 5:53 PM, Tegger wrote:
>
>> How many miles on the Accord?

>
> 300,004 miles.
>
>> How many miles per year?

>
> Now that I retired, only about 12,000.
>
>> What part of the country do you live in?

>
> Puget Sound.
>
>> What kind of driving do you do? Lots of city, lots of highway? An
>> even mix?

>
> About half suburban, half freeway.
>
>



You surely fall under the "Regular" maintenance interval, which calls for
an oil change every 6,000 miles or 12-months. The "Severe" interval calls
for 3,000 miles or 6-months.

Personally, I'm not comfortable leaving oil in for a year on an engine with
as many miles as yours. Have you considered changing your oil twice per
year? That would give you a 6,000 mile / 6-month change interval, which
seems reasonable to me.

However, you may also want to consider the possible beneficial effects of
your previous frequent changes. Your attainment of 300K is likely partially
due to those frequent changes. Older engines produce more blowby and load-
up the oil with deposits more than newer engines. It is wise to /increase/
the frequency of oil changes with age. My Integra has just over 380,000
miles on it. I change my oil at about 3,500-4,000 miles.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2012, 06:48 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:22:08 -0800, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

>I've been using crude based Castrol 5W-30 oil for my '94 Accord because
>that's what my Honda Service used while I was taking my car there. The
>Owner's Manual calls for various types of maintenance service at every
>7,500 miles that includes oil change, of course. I've been also having
>oil change only at midway of these mainteance intervals. So basically
>I've been changing oil at every 3,750 miles.
>
>Lately I've been wondering if I could save those "mid-term" oil changes
>if I switched to synthetic oil. I'd like to hear some expert opinion on
>that here and if the recommendation is yes, what type of synthetic oil
>would take me as well to 7,500 miles as the Castrol crude based takes me
>to 3,750 miles.


In short, summarizing the other posts - I guess you can skip the
midway oil change ANYWAY, and certainly if you switch to synthetic,
which would still see a change every seven months or so.

But, are you burning any oil with the old engine? If so then you will
have to remember to check it and maybe top it off, and what's more you
may actually be polluting the oil faster than a younger car would and
this might make your current plan the best.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2012, 07:06 pm
Erik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

In article <jimn75$82i$1@speranza.aioe.org>, jim beam <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

> On 02/29/2012 05:22 PM, cameo wrote:
> > I've been using crude based Castrol 5W-30 oil for my '94 Accord because
> > that's what my Honda Service used while I was taking my car there. The
> > Owner's Manual calls for various types of maintenance service at every
> > 7,500 miles that includes oil change, of course. I've been also having
> > oil change only at midway of these mainteance intervals. So basically
> > I've been changing oil at every 3,750 miles.
> >
> > Lately I've been wondering if I could save those "mid-term" oil changes
> > if I switched to synthetic oil. I'd like to hear some expert opinion on
> > that here and if the recommendation is yes, what type of synthetic oil
> > would take me as well to 7,500 miles as the Castrol crude based takes me
> > to 3,750 miles.


I can't get excited about synthetic...

With modern oils, the big issue is contamination. (The oil itself is
still a wonderful lubricant come the end of a change cycle.)

Synthetics get contaminated just like any other oil.

If you care about the car, plan to keep it a long time and/or make a lot
of short trips, change more often!

If not, take the change intervals out.

There are way to many variables to cover in a post here... but I'd stay
with the mineral and save the money. Keep in mind that oil is cheaper
than metal any day.

Erik

PS, Look at your manual again and see if it says something about severe,
dusty conditions or some similar wordage... it probably does. Those
recommendations more 'real world'.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2012, 07:58 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

Erik <spam@this.com> wrote in
news:spam-CA061F.17064001032012@news.dslextreme.com:


>
> I can't get excited about synthetic...




I do.

After about 180,000 miles with Mobil 1, I find it absolutely astounding
that the head is still shiny-silver inside. No varnish. At all. Synthetics
seem to produce far less varnish than mineral oils, and to be much better
than mineral oils at keeping contaminants in suspension.

My head gasket failed after the first 200K, which were passed with Castrol
GTX and an oil-change interval of not more than 3,000 miles. When I got the
car back, the head had been totally cleaned of all the brown varnish which
had previously been there. At that point I switched to Mobil 1, and have
not looked back. I've owned the car since new, so I know exactly what's
been done to it over the years.

I forgot to to answer the OP's question regarding synthetic oils. And my
answer is, "The stuff is awesome! Use it, for sure!".



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2012, 09:50 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Crude based or synthetic oil ...

On 03/01/2012 03:59 PM, Tegger wrote:
> cameo<cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:jiogc7$eg9$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> On 2/29/2012 5:53 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>
>>> How many miles on the Accord?

>>
>> 300,004 miles.
>>
>>> How many miles per year?

>>
>> Now that I retired, only about 12,000.
>>
>>> What part of the country do you live in?

>>
>> Puget Sound.
>>
>>> What kind of driving do you do? Lots of city, lots of highway? An
>>> even mix?

>>
>> About half suburban, half freeway.
>>
>>

>
>
> You surely fall under the "Regular" maintenance interval, which calls for
> an oil change every 6,000 miles or 12-months. The "Severe" interval calls
> for 3,000 miles or 6-months.
>
> Personally, I'm not comfortable leaving oil in for a year on an engine with
> as many miles as yours. Have you considered changing your oil twice per
> year? That would give you a 6,000 mile / 6-month change interval, which
> seems reasonable to me.


on what exactly do you base this "discomfort" and "intuition" tegger?

a. is it oil analysis? [no.]
b. is it the owner's manual? [no.]
c. is it superstition? [rhetorical.]

frankly, without any basis in fact, you're simply polluting this group
with ignorance.


>
> However, you may also want to consider the possible beneficial effects of
> your previous frequent changes. Your attainment of 300K is likely partially
> due to those frequent changes. Older engines produce more blowby and load-
> up the oil with deposits more than newer engines. It is wise to /increase/
> the frequency of oil changes with age.


only if you [incorrectly] presume the manufacturer hadn't already thunk
of that when they did their homework. homework you've never done
because you've never done oil analysis.


> My Integra has just over 380,000
> miles on it. I change my oil at about 3,500-4,000 miles.


particularly with synthetic oil, that change interval is not just
ignorant, it's absolutely insane.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733

go get some oil analysis tegger - just like the professionals who manage
machines with billions of dollars and lives at stake. go get some facts.


--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is synthetic oil or a synthetic blend better for my car than regular motor oil? arg1959 Honda Technical 8 07 Oct 2008 03:31 pm
OBD-1 PC based scanner delSol-owner@nospam.net Honda 2 13 19 Aug 2006 08:36 am
New SUV based on truck? trs80 Honda 2 7 08 Jun 2005 09:49 pm
New SUV based on truck? trs80 Honda 1 0 06 Jun 2005 12:00 am
Crude alternator load test. 88-Honda Accord Tibur Waltson Honda 3 32 08 Jan 2004 09:28 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.