Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2007, 10:04 am
highkm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Caliper sliding pin boots

Howdy.

Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord
4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for
just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can
purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul
kit?

Thanks.

Dan.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2007, 10:50 am
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

On Tue, 08 May 2007 08:04:20 -0700, highkm wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord 4
> cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for just one
> side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can purchase these
> without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul kit?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dan.



Wow. I thought Toyotas were 'expensive'!

Try AutoZone or another good AP store in your area. And, look in the
"HELP!" section of the store. HELP! parts are marketed by Dorman IIRC, and
they may have a Dorman catalogue with more parts available than are on the
rack.

And get this: In order to replace the rubber suspension bushings on the
lower cotrol arms for my Supra, I have to replace the WHOLE CONTROL ARM!!!
$210 in order to get parts that should total $75!!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2007, 03:30 pm
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

Check at http://www.slhonda.com/ They show a caliper pack which has the
boots and other seals for $17.43. Part no 01463-SDA-A00.
Check with your dealer for the service pack or order on line at the site. SL
Honda is a dealer that sells on line at discounted prices. You may need to
run through the selections as I just dummied up trim levels, etc.


"highkm" <ic3po@mac.com> wrote in message
news:1178636660.824881.184980@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> Howdy.
>
> Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord
> 4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for
> just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can
> purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul
> kit?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dan.
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 May 2007, 07:56 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

highkm <ic3po@mac.com> wrote in news:1178636660.824881.184980
@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> Howdy.
>
> Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord
> 4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for
> just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can
> purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul
> kit?
>



If you hadn't used the wrong grease in the first place, you wouldn't be in
this pickle. Those boots last the life of the car, treated right.

Use "Sil-Glyde" only. Available at your local auto parts store.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2007, 11:01 pm
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

highkm wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord
> 4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for
> just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can
> purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul
> kit?
>


http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

A Caliper seal kit is $15.23+shipping per side.

I would avoid using non OE parts, the rubber tends not to last as long. As
Tegger noted, use Sil-Glyde silicone grease. AGS,
http://www.agscompany.com, makes two different types. One is "Brake
Lubricant" and the other is regular Sil-Glyde. I'm not sure what the
differences are between the two. If you read the MSDS sheets for the two,
then you'll note that they're very similar. I use regular Sil-Glyde and
have not had a problem with it.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2007, 11:20 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

Eric wrote:
> highkm wrote:
>> Howdy.
>>
>> Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord
>> 4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for
>> just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can
>> purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul
>> kit?
>>

>
> http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
>
> A Caliper seal kit is $15.23+shipping per side.
>
> I would avoid using non OE parts, the rubber tends not to last as long. As
> Tegger noted, use Sil-Glyde silicone grease. AGS,
> http://www.agscompany.com, makes two different types. One is "Brake
> Lubricant" and the other is regular Sil-Glyde. I'm not sure what the
> differences are between the two. If you read the MSDS sheets for the two,
> then you'll note that they're very similar. I use regular Sil-Glyde and
> have not had a problem with it.
>
> Eric


i've used sil-glyde - it's abysmal stuff. it gets absorbed by the
rubber and turns into an adhesive goo in no time.

"permatex ultra disk brake caliper lube" is the way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2007, 11:31 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

Tegger wrote:
> highkm <ic3po@mac.com> wrote in news:1178636660.824881.184980
> @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003 accord
>> 4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants $50 for
>> just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one can
>> purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper overhaul
>> kit?
>>

>
>
> If you hadn't used the wrong grease in the first place, you wouldn't be in
> this pickle. Those boots last the life of the car, treated right.
>
> Use "Sil-Glyde" only. Available at your local auto parts store.
>

i've had really bad experience with that stuff. i've found permatex to
be much better.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2007, 02:39 am
Dave and Trudy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots


"jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
news:g6udnRlh6II_AN_bnZ2dnUVZ_uWlnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
> Eric wrote:

///snipped///
>> I would avoid using non OE parts, the rubber tends not to last as long.
>> As
>> Tegger noted, use Sil-Glyde silicone grease. AGS,
>> http://www.agscompany.com, makes two different types. One is "Brake
>> Lubricant" and the other is regular Sil-Glyde. I'm not sure what the
>> differences are between the two. If you read the MSDS sheets for the
>> two,
>> then you'll note that they're very similar. I use regular Sil-Glyde and
>> have not had a problem with it.
>>
>> Eric

>
> i've used sil-glyde - it's abysmal stuff. it gets absorbed by the rubber
> and turns into an adhesive goo in no time.
>
> "permatex ultra disk brake caliper lube" is the way to go.


This is strange Jim. I have used Sil-Glyde for years and years with no
problems whatsoever...I have never used the Permatex but with your
recommendation I give it a try next time.

DaveD


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2007, 05:14 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

jim beam <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in
news:dLOdnSmsHriKPd_bnZ2dnUVZ_r-onZ2d@speakeasy.net:

> Tegger wrote:
>> highkm <ic3po@mac.com> wrote in news:1178636660.824881.184980
>> @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Howdy.
>>>
>>> Did anyone ever have to replace the sliding pin boots on a 2003
>>> accord 4 cyl? I need to replace all 8 of them but the dealer wants
>>> $50 for just one side. This is a ripoff. Does anyone know where one
>>> can purchase these without having to purchase the entire caliper
>>> overhaul kit?
>>>

>>
>>
>> If you hadn't used the wrong grease in the first place, you wouldn't
>> be in this pickle. Those boots last the life of the car, treated
>> right.
>>
>> Use "Sil-Glyde" only. Available at your local auto parts store.
>>

> i've had really bad experience with that stuff. i've found permatex
> to be much better.
>



Been using Sil-Glyde for twenty years. Never a problem. I still have all
eitght original pin boots on my brakes and they do not even show signs of
cracking, much less splitting.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 May 2007, 05:18 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Caliper sliding pin boots

jim beam <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in
news:g6udnRlh6II_AN_bnZ2dnUVZ_uWlnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:


>
> i've used sil-glyde - it's abysmal stuff. it gets absorbed by the
> rubber and turns into an adhesive goo in no time.




I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but it most certainly does not
get absorbed by the rubber to the point the rubber degrades. That is a
characteristic of petroleum-based anti-seizes.

If Sil-Glyde caused rubber degradation, I think I would have seen that in
20 years of (twice-yearly) use.


>
> "permatex ultra disk brake caliper lube" is the way to go.
>



I'm sure that's fine too, but there's not a thing wrong with Sil-Glyde.

Sil-Glyde is especially good for wet, salty environments like mine. Since
the stuff is so thick, it is less prone to washing away.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
01 Odyssey sliding doors sticking T Kent Honda 2 2 03 Jun 2007 02:26 pm
2000 Odyssey sliding doors Ivan & Brenda Honda 2 4 21 Jan 2007 08:33 am
sliding door issue flystol@bluebottle.com Honda 2 1 17 Oct 2006 10:14 pm
Honda Odyssey Sliding Door Kayaken Honda 3 2 26 Mar 2005 08:13 am
Odyssey Sliding Door Noise Phyl/Ron Johnson Honda 2 3 22 Jun 2004 04:14 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.