Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Apr 2007, 07:01 pm
meganrhamilton_8@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2004 Honda CRV fuel light problems

So it's weird, I got my grandmother's 2004 CRV as part of my
inheritance to replace the 2001 Accord my ex totaled. The car only
has like not even 60,000 miles on it. The low fuel light is ALWAYS
ON, no matter what. The gas tank will only let you put so much in.
It doesn't let you fill it up, and you never know how much gas is in
it. Because it never displays, about 2 months ago it came back on and
started working. Then, went out again. So, now I have to use the
mileage thing and to be safe, I have to put gas in every day pretty
much. I don't know that much about cars, well because I am a girl and
all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Well the check
engine light is on, but thats because I need an oil change really bad.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Apr 2007, 08:40 pm
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Honda CRV fuel light problems

<meganrhamilton_8@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1177286510.231755.11270@y5g2000hsa.googlegrou ps.com...
> So it's weird, I got my grandmother's 2004 CRV as part of my
> inheritance to replace the 2001 Accord my ex totaled. The car only
> has like not even 60,000 miles on it. The low fuel light is ALWAYS
> ON, no matter what. The gas tank will only let you put so much in.
> It doesn't let you fill it up, and you never know how much gas is in
> it. Because it never displays, about 2 months ago it came back on and
> started working. Then, went out again. So, now I have to use the
> mileage thing and to be safe, I have to put gas in every day pretty


Look under the car to see if there is a dent or anything in the gas tank.
Sounds like something is stuck or pushed in.

> much. I don't know that much about cars, well because I am a girl and
> all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Well the check
> engine light is on, but thats because I need an oil change really bad.


The Check Engine light or the Maintenance Required light? The maint light
is for an oil change, the check engine light is because there is a problem
detected.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Apr 2007, 10:40 pm
E Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Honda CRV fuel light problems

On 4/22/07 7:01 PM, in article
1177286510.231755.11270@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.co m,
"meganrhamilton_8@yahoo.com" <meganrhamilton_8@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So it's weird, I got my grandmother's 2004 CRV as part of my
> inheritance to replace the 2001 Accord my ex totaled. The car only
> has like not even 60,000 miles on it. The low fuel light is ALWAYS
> ON, no matter what. The gas tank will only let you put so much in.
> It doesn't let you fill it up, and you never know how much gas is in
> it. Because it never displays, about 2 months ago it came back on and
> started working. Then, went out again. So, now I have to use the
> mileage thing and to be safe, I have to put gas in every day pretty
> much. I don't know that much about cars, well because I am a girl and
> all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Well the check
> engine light is on, but thats because I need an oil change really bad.
>


They have a pretty small gas tank, slightly over 15 gallons total, but it
should go about 300 miles on a tank. If you fill it up every 250 miles you
should be safe until you get the indicator fixed.

If, as you say, the low fuel light never goes off, I suspect the fuel level
sensor in the gas tank is failing or the wiring to it is damaged. Another
possibility is that the gas tank has been dented in, which could make the
sensors read wrong. Best bet is to take it to a Honda dealer and have it
checked out.

There are two "check engine" lights. One that indicates a possibly serious
problem with the engine and the other, a "maintenance required" light means
it needs an oil change. Make sure you know which one is lit. Check the
owners manual.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:20 am
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Honda CRV fuel light problems

Be careful with this... as mentioned in a previous post, it could be a dent
in the tank. I had this problem on my 98 civic at around 35000kms. The dent
didn't look that big, but it was right at the middle of the tank. This
caused fuel to flow to either side of the tank and away from the fuel pickup.
Therefore, in my situation, the low fuel light NEVER came on. It would say I
had 1/4 tank, and if I drove on the highway, the car would lose power and
eventually stall.

Ended up getting a new tank.

t

E Meyer wrote:
>On 4/22/07 7:01 PM, in article
>1177286510.231755.11270@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.c om,
>
>> So it's weird, I got my grandmother's 2004 CRV as part of my
>> inheritance to replace the 2001 Accord my ex totaled. The car only

>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>> all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Well the check
>> engine light is on, but thats because I need an oil change really bad.

>
>They have a pretty small gas tank, slightly over 15 gallons total, but it
>should go about 300 miles on a tank. If you fill it up every 250 miles you
>should be safe until you get the indicator fixed.
>
>If, as you say, the low fuel light never goes off, I suspect the fuel level
>sensor in the gas tank is failing or the wiring to it is damaged. Another
>possibility is that the gas tank has been dented in, which could make the
>sensors read wrong. Best bet is to take it to a Honda dealer and have it
>checked out.
>
>There are two "check engine" lights. One that indicates a possibly serious
>problem with the engine and the other, a "maintenance required" light means
>it needs an oil change. Make sure you know which one is lit. Check the
>owners manual.


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200704/1

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:21 am
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Honda CRV fuel light problems

Oh yeah, the whole point of my post was that the dent reduced my effective
range by over 200 kms. Normally I get about 450 to 500 kms on a tank... so
reduction by almost 40%! Be careful, don't run outta gas!

t

loewent wrote:
>Be careful with this... as mentioned in a previous post, it could be a dent
>in the tank. I had this problem on my 98 civic at around 35000kms. The dent
>didn't look that big, but it was right at the middle of the tank. This
>caused fuel to flow to either side of the tank and away from the fuel pickup.
>Therefore, in my situation, the low fuel light NEVER came on. It would say I
>had 1/4 tank, and if I drove on the highway, the car would lose power and
>eventually stall.
>
>Ended up getting a new tank.
>
>t
>
>>On 4/22/07 7:01 PM, in article
>>1177286510.231755.11270@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups. com,

>[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]
>>it needs an oil change. Make sure you know which one is lit. Check the
>>owners manual.


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200704/1

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Honda CRV Low Fuel Light not working rk Honda 2 1 04 Feb 2007 10:09 am
2002 Honda CRV Fuel Indicator Light Skippy Honda 2 4 11 Jun 2006 08:21 am
Honda Civic 2004 - Fuel guzzler? Domestos Honda 3 16 09 Apr 2006 09:25 am
89 Honda accord Carburetor/fuel delivery problems? bob62 Honda 3 7 15 Nov 2004 07:52 pm
Did honda fix any of the problems in the 2003 Accord in the 2004? lcopps Honda 3 5 01 Oct 2003 04:37 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.