Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 Apr 2007, 01:46 pm
Andrew Murray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda Fit, noisy

Hi. Just test drove the Fit. Really liked it, very peppy for small engine,
but really noisy. Anybody know of good way to inulate passengers from
engine noise, without overheating engine.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 Apr 2007, 04:20 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:46:46 -0400, Andrew Murray wrote:

> Hi. Just test drove the Fit. Really liked it, very peppy for small
> engine, but really noisy. Anybody know of good way to inulate passengers
> from engine noise, without overheating engine.


I use carpet padding under the carpeting. I usually do this on old cars,
since if there are any holes the padding will get wet. We don't want that
happeneing.

Or, you could get something like DynaMat. You have to remove the interior
and put it under the carpet and behind the door panels.

The thing would be as quiet as a Cadillac!

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2007, 02:18 am
TE Chea
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

| Anybody know of good way to inulate passengers from
| engine noise, without overheating engine.

1) fit a bigger muffler ; Lexus has a very big muffler
2) find ways to incr spark size (i) disable useless drain of current
e.g. bypass windows' motors relay, or diasble internal EGR's
valve & solenoid, (ii) use copper wires to conduct heat out of
transformer coils to get more amperes ; faster combustion
can really cut exhaust noise


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:17 pm
isquat@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

On Apr 14, 2:20 pm, Hachiroku * <Tru...@AE86.gts> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:46:46 -0400, Andrew Murray wrote:
> > Hi. Just test drove the Fit. Really liked it, very peppy for small
> > engine, but really noisy. Anybody know of good way to inulate passengers
> > from engine noise, without overheating engine.

>
> I use carpet padding under the carpeting. I usually do this on old cars,
> since if there are any holes the padding will get wet. We don't want that
> happeneing.
>
> Or, you could get something like DynaMat. You have to remove the interior
> and put it under the carpet and behind the door panels.
>
> The thing would be as quiet as a Cadillac!


You wish.
In my experience sound deadeners work wonders for stopping rattles and
increasing bass tenfold but they don't do a dick
to decrease road noise. You get what you pay for.
If peace and quiet is high on the shopping list I suggest
to pay for a luxury or a near luxury car.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Apr 2007, 12:05 am
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:17:12 -0700, isquat wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2:20 pm, Hachiroku * <Tru...@AE86.gts> wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:46:46 -0400, Andrew Murray wrote:
>> > Hi. Just test drove the Fit. Really liked it, very peppy for small
>> > engine, but really noisy. Anybody know of good way to inulate
>> > passengers from engine noise, without overheating engine.

>>
>> I use carpet padding under the carpeting. I usually do this on old cars,
>> since if there are any holes the padding will get wet. We don't want
>> that happeneing.
>>
>> Or, you could get something like DynaMat. You have to remove the
>> interior and put it under the carpet and behind the door panels.
>>
>> The thing would be as quiet as a Cadillac!

>
> You wish.
> In my experience sound deadeners work wonders for stopping rattles and
> increasing bass tenfold but they don't do a dick to decrease road noise.
> You get what you pay for. If peace and quiet is high on the shopping list
> I suggest to pay for a luxury or a near luxury car.



I put foam carpet padding in a Corolla and the quietness was
deafening.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Apr 2007, 01:40 am
JXStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

On 15 Apr 2007 21:17:12 -0700, isquat@gmail.com wrote:

>If peace and quiet is high on the shopping list I suggest
>to pay for a luxury or a near luxury car.


Like an Accord or Camry.

My 07 is notably quieter than the 04, which was already quiet, and
generally the Camrys are quieter yet.

J.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16 Apr 2007, 05:42 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:18:18 +0800, "TE Chea" <4ws@gmail.com> wrote:

>| Anybody know of good way to inulate passengers from
>| engine noise, without overheating engine.
>
>1) fit a bigger muffler ; Lexus has a very big muffler
>2) find ways to incr spark size (i) disable useless drain of current
> e.g. bypass windows' motors relay, or diasble internal EGR's
> valve & solenoid, (ii) use copper wires to conduct heat out of
> transformer coils to get more amperes ; faster combustion
> can really cut exhaust noise


Chea, all you have to do to reduce the noise is to take those pills
that make the voices in your head go away.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:00 am
isquat@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

On Apr 15, 10:05 pm, Hachiroku * <Tru...@AE86.gts> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:17:12 -0700, isquat wrote:
> > On Apr 14, 2:20 pm, Hachiroku * <Tru....@AE86.gts> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:46:46 -0400, Andrew Murray wrote:
> >> > Hi. Just test drove the Fit. Really liked it, very peppy for small
> >> > engine, but really noisy. Anybody know of good way to inulate
> >> > passengers from engine noise, without overheating engine.

>
> >> I use carpet padding under the carpeting. I usually do this on old cars,
> >> since if there are any holes the padding will get wet. We don't want
> >> that happeneing.

>
> >> Or, you could get something like DynaMat. You have to remove the
> >> interior and put it under the carpet and behind the door panels.

>
> >> The thing would be as quiet as a Cadillac!

>
> > You wish.
> > In my experience sound deadeners work wonders for stopping rattles and
> > increasing bass tenfold but they don't do a dick to decrease road noise.
> > You get what you pay for. If peace and quiet is high on the shopping list
> > I suggest to pay for a luxury or a near luxury car.

>
> I put foam carpet padding in a Corolla and the quietness was
> deafening.


Okay, you managed to treat the window glass too???

I still don't understand how that would help with the ENGINE
noise the OP is drying to drown. You can treat the floor all you want
and I might even believe it would drown the cacophony of pebbles
on an unpaved section of a road but how would that help with the
ENGINE noise? To drown the engine noise there are two options:
1. Treat the firewall with prodigious amounts of sound deadeners
(including liquid ones because firewall is a bitch to get to
and a bunch of piping going back and forth thru it does not help)
2. Install a quieter engine (such as a six or an eight) and operate
it at half the potential at low rpm.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Apr 2007, 02:43 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:00:52 -0700, isquat wrote:

> On Apr 15, 10:05 pm, Hachiroku * <Tru...@AE86.gts> wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:17:12 -0700, isquat wrote:
>> > On Apr 14, 2:20 pm, Hachiroku * <Tru...@AE86.gts> wrote:
>> >> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:46:46 -0400, Andrew Murray wrote:
>> >> > Hi. Just test drove the Fit. Really liked it, very peppy for
>> >> > small engine, but really noisy. Anybody know of good way to
>> >> > inulate passengers from engine noise, without overheating engine.

>>
>> >> I use carpet padding under the carpeting. I usually do this on old
>> >> cars, since if there are any holes the padding will get wet. We don't
>> >> want that happeneing.

>>
>> >> Or, you could get something like DynaMat. You have to remove the
>> >> interior and put it under the carpet and behind the door panels.

>>
>> >> The thing would be as quiet as a Cadillac!

>>
>> > You wish.
>> > In my experience sound deadeners work wonders for stopping rattles and
>> > increasing bass tenfold but they don't do a dick to decrease road
>> > noise. You get what you pay for. If peace and quiet is high on the
>> > shopping list I suggest to pay for a luxury or a near luxury car.

>>
>> I put foam carpet padding in a Corolla and the quietness was deafening.

>
> Okay, you managed to treat the window glass too???
>
> I still don't understand how that would help with the ENGINE noise the OP
> is drying to drown. You can treat the floor all you want and I might even
> believe it would drown the cacophony of pebbles on an unpaved section of a
> road but how would that help with the ENGINE noise? To drown the engine
> noise there are two options: 1. Treat the firewall with prodigious amounts
> of sound deadeners (including liquid ones because firewall is a bitch to
> get to and a bunch of piping going back and forth thru it does not help)
> 2. Install a quieter engine (such as a six or an eight) and operate it at
> half the potential at low rpm.



Well, the overall level of noise in the car came down immediately.

What happened was, the car was stolen and gutted on the interior. When I
got it back the carpeting was still there, but the seats, console, etc
were all removed. I removed the lower part of the dash and the carpeting,
laid the carpeting out on the ground and cut the carpet padding in
patterns to match the carpet. This covered the entire floor panel from the
top of the firewall all the way to the back of the car ('85 Corolla Hatch).

I used 1/2" padding with a 'vapor barrier' on one side, and put the vapor
barrier towards the floor. The car was incredibly more quite then it had
ever been before. I was amazed. I had bought the car in '86, so it wasn't
like it was new to me. I did the rebuild in '91, so I was well familiar
with how loud the car was.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18 Apr 2007, 10:08 am
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda Fit, noisy

Interior noise levels are one place where Honda doesn't do a great job.

Professional undercoating helps quite a bit to reduce road noise and
also damps the conduction of engine noise through the floorpan.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noisy tranny DanM Honda 2 7 24 Jul 2006 11:34 am
noisy suspension reverend Honda 2 1 24 May 2006 09:57 pm
Noisy Engine dwb Honda 3 2 16 Jan 2005 08:14 am
Honda Element shift Reverse noisy Chris Honda 3 2 23 Jun 2004 06:47 am
Honda Element - underpowered and noisy or not? hondacivic@whoever.com Honda 2 2 15 May 2004 09:10 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.