Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Apr 2007, 07:06 pm
R Flowers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ignition key gets stuck in 91 Accord

Vehicle : 1991 Honda Accord 4-door sedan
The symptoms: key gets stuck to a degree, depending on the age and wear of
the key. My key became stuck for quite a while; I could not turn the car
off, and it was about 1/2 way to the 'start' position. (You could a slight
grinding when the car was in Park or Neutral, brake light stayed on - I was
finally able to jiggle it into working). With my wife's key, the key doesn't
stick, but is a little difficult to turn. In all cases, you pretty much have
to move the key back from the 'start' position yourself.

Is this more likely to be the relatively inexpensive cylinder & key set, or
the more expensive ignition? I bought the former, but looking at it I notice
it depends on something else to return it from the start position, too....

And yes, she does have a heavy key ring, and I'm not much better...

Thanks,
-- R Flowers


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Apr 2007, 09:10 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ignition key gets stuck in 91 Accord

"R Flowers" <rflowers@Tinbowlinggreen.com> wrote in
news:eqGdncHfO5I2B4zbnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@insightbb.co m:

> Vehicle : 1991 Honda Accord 4-door sedan
> The symptoms: key gets stuck to a degree, depending on the age and
> wear of the key. My key became stuck for quite a while; I could not
> turn the car off, and it was about 1/2 way to the 'start' position.
> (You could a slight grinding when the car was in Park or Neutral,
> brake light stayed on - I was finally able to jiggle it into working).
> With my wife's key, the key doesn't stick, but is a little difficult
> to turn. In all cases, you pretty much have to move the key back from
> the 'start' position yourself.
>
> Is this more likely to be the relatively inexpensive cylinder & key
> set, or the more expensive ignition? I bought the former, but looking
> at it I notice it depends on something else to return it from the
> start position, too....
>
> And yes, she does have a heavy key ring, and I'm not much better...
>




Why don't you try a new key? Take your Valet key to a hardware store and
get a new one made from a regular blank. The Valet key is the same as the
regular one, just thicker.

If a new key does the same thing, get some PB Blaster or some 3-in-1 oil
and spray some in the lock. See if that helps. Don't use graphite lubes.
You need something that will creep up the tumblers.

If neither a new key nor oil works, then the lock cylinder is worn out.
This is easy to change, believe it or not.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Apr 2007, 10:10 pm
R Flowers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ignition key gets stuck in 91 Accord

"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns9906E17DEF185tegger@207.14.116.130...
> "R Flowers" <rflowers@Tinbowlinggreen.com> wrote in
> news:eqGdncHfO5I2B4zbnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@insightbb.co m:
>
>> Vehicle : 1991 Honda Accord 4-door sedan
>> The symptoms: key gets stuck to a degree, depending on the age and
>> wear of the key....

> Why don't you try a new key? Take your Valet key to a hardware store and
> get a new one made from a regular blank. The Valet key is the same as the
> regular one, just thicker.
>


Thank you for the good advice! I'll try it.

-- R Flowers


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Apr 2007, 10:43 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ignition key gets stuck in 91 Accord

R Flowers wrote:
> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
> news:Xns9906E17DEF185tegger@207.14.116.130...
>> "R Flowers" <rflowers@Tinbowlinggreen.com> wrote in
>> news:eqGdncHfO5I2B4zbnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@insightbb.co m:
>>
>>> Vehicle : 1991 Honda Accord 4-door sedan
>>> The symptoms: key gets stuck to a degree, depending on the age and
>>> wear of the key....

>> Why don't you try a new key? Take your Valet key to a hardware store and
>> get a new one made from a regular blank. The Valet key is the same as the
>> regular one, just thicker.
>>

>
> Thank you for the good advice! I'll try it.
>
> -- R Flowers
>
>

sometimes, just using the valet key is necessary - the tumblers wear
faster on the narrow lands of the regular key, so even a new key will
still not fit right. the valet key will ride on the unworn part of the
tumblers and should remain a perfect fit.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ignition key gets stuck in 91 Accord R Flowers Honda 1 3 02 Apr 2007 10:43 pm
Key Getting Stuck in Ignition hafeezurrahman@gmail.com Honda 3 4 25 Aug 2006 04:01 pm
Accord 2000 LX - Ignition key stuck, and then can't start the car. Pls help! success_ny@yahoo.com Honda 3 2 25 Jul 2005 08:15 pm
Short key stuck in ignition gary Honda 3 3 17 Jan 2004 03:13 am
Accord 98 Ignition key stuck Seriy Honda 3 1 22 Aug 2003 08:46 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.