Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Mar 2007, 02:37 pm
comcastss news groups
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????

98 Accord coupe V6 110,000 miles

I posted earlier about a P0420 code and another post about the transmission
shifting abruptly.
I dropped the car off at my mechanic. He says the Cat needs replacing. (
fore and aft O2 sensors read the same indicating a bad cat..) He thinks what
I'm feeling in the tranny is caused by the problem with the Converter / O2
sensors / causing the engine to race a little between shifts. (keep in mind
I'm paraphrasing, I may not have it exactly right)

I gave him the ok to replace the converter at $790 for the part from
Honda!!!
He said he's used aftermarket before but recommended getting the OEM.
He says the rest of the exhaust looks good, (stainless steel)

Does hit theory about the abrupt shifts caused by the engine not running
right due to the bad cat sound right????

It would be good news if replacing the cat resolved the shifting issue...

Thanks


Steve


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Mar 2007, 05:49 pm
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????

The Cat failure has nothing to do with the transmission shifting. Have you
had the transmission oil changed? It is critical on Honda transmissions. It
is also critical to use Honda transmission fluid. Google the problems and
read some of the information.

"comcastss news groups" <sriv@adi.com> wrote in message
news:eKKdnSNSdYYZ75TbnZ2dnUVZ_vyunZ2d@conversent.n et...
> 98 Accord coupe V6 110,000 miles
>
> I posted earlier about a P0420 code and another post about the
> transmission
> shifting abruptly.
> I dropped the car off at my mechanic. He says the Cat needs replacing. (
> fore and aft O2 sensors read the same indicating a bad cat..) He thinks
> what
> I'm feeling in the tranny is caused by the problem with the Converter / O2
> sensors / causing the engine to race a little between shifts. (keep in
> mind
> I'm paraphrasing, I may not have it exactly right)
>
> I gave him the ok to replace the converter at $790 for the part from
> Honda!!!
> He said he's used aftermarket before but recommended getting the OEM.
> He says the rest of the exhaust looks good, (stainless steel)
>
> Does hit theory about the abrupt shifts caused by the engine not running
> right due to the bad cat sound right????
>
> It would be good news if replacing the cat resolved the shifting issue...
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Steve
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Mar 2007, 08:21 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????

"comcastss news groups" <sriv@adi.com> wrote in
news:eKKdnSNSdYYZ75TbnZ2dnUVZ_vyunZ2d@conversent.n et:

> 98 Accord coupe V6 110,000 miles
>
> I posted earlier about a P0420 code and another post about the
> transmission shifting abruptly.
> I dropped the car off at my mechanic. He says the Cat needs replacing.
> ( fore and aft O2 sensors read the same indicating a bad cat..) He
> thinks what I'm feeling in the tranny is caused by the problem with
> the Converter / O2 sensors / causing the engine to race a little
> between shifts. (keep in mind I'm paraphrasing, I may not have it
> exactly right)
>
> I gave him the ok to replace the converter at $790 for the part from
> Honda!!!
> He said he's used aftermarket before but recommended getting the OEM.
> He says the rest of the exhaust looks good, (stainless steel)
>
> Does hit theory about the abrupt shifts caused by the engine not
> running right due to the bad cat sound right????
>




He's smokin' some good stuff. Better than Tampico ditch weed, anyway.

Woody's on the right track. Fluid should be Honda ATF-Z1, and oxygen
sensors should be OEM (ND).

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Mar 2007, 10:02 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????

comcastss news groups wrote:
> 98 Accord coupe V6 110,000 miles
>
> I posted earlier about a P0420 code and another post about the transmission
> shifting abruptly.
> I dropped the car off at my mechanic. He says the Cat needs replacing. (
> fore and aft O2 sensors read the same indicating a bad cat..) He thinks what
> I'm feeling in the tranny is caused by the problem with the Converter / O2
> sensors / causing the engine to race a little between shifts. (keep in mind
> I'm paraphrasing, I may not have it exactly right)
>
> I gave him the ok to replace the converter at $790 for the part from
> Honda!!!
> He said he's used aftermarket before but recommended getting the OEM.
> He says the rest of the exhaust looks good, (stainless steel)
>
> Does hit theory about the abrupt shifts caused by the engine not running
> right due to the bad cat sound right????


no. a bad sensor can contribute, but not the catalyst.

>
> It would be good news if replacing the cat resolved the shifting issue...


it would be better news if you found a competent mechanic.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2007, 09:19 am
comcastss news groups
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????


"Woody" <TheDuck@pond.net> wrote in message
news:XbhOh.620$Q23.146@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net. ..
> The Cat failure has nothing to do with the transmission shifting. Have you
> had the transmission oil changed? It is critical on Honda transmissions.

It
> is also critical to use Honda transmission fluid. Google the problems and
> read some of the information.
>


Yes I've replaced the tranny fluid 3 times over the winter. (I know one
change doesnt get all the fluid out.) Using Hondas ATF fluid.

Again I may not be accuratly repeating what the mechanic said.

Sounds like what he's saying is due to the bad cat, the O2 sensors are
sending a signal that may be causing the computer to shift at the wrong
time??? or the engine to rev a little higher before shifts??

The tranny issue is hard for me to tell if its a real problem.
Seems at low speed ( 10 - 20 mph ) I take my foot off the gas, coast/brake a
little then when I hit the gas again it sometimes seems to rather abruptly
go into gear.


I've done plenty of research on the 6th generation Accord transmissions but
that doesnt replace actually driving the car and knowing what a developing
tranny problem might FEEL like..

For example, I though my old used camry had a funny feel when shifting. I
brought it to a dealer who said No problem he could find. while in for other
work I mentioned it to my mechanic who traced it to a missfireing plug, I
think it was a coil??? ( he drove around with his computer hooked up to the
car and found it that way.)
What I felt went away after that! So what I thought all along was a tranny
problem wasnt...
Bottom line is ignorance on my part...I have to go with the opinion of the
mechanic who has driven the car.

I just wanted to bounce this off you guys and hopefully educate myself a
little more...

Thanks Again

Steve




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Mar 2007, 09:36 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????

comcastss news groups wrote:
> "Woody" <TheDuck@pond.net> wrote in message
> news:XbhOh.620$Q23.146@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net. ..
>> The Cat failure has nothing to do with the transmission shifting. Have you
>> had the transmission oil changed? It is critical on Honda transmissions.

> It
>> is also critical to use Honda transmission fluid. Google the problems and
>> read some of the information.
>>

>
> Yes I've replaced the tranny fluid 3 times over the winter. (I know one
> change doesnt get all the fluid out.) Using Hondas ATF fluid.
>
> Again I may not be accuratly repeating what the mechanic said.
>
> Sounds like what he's saying is due to the bad cat, the O2 sensors are
> sending a signal that may be causing the computer to shift at the wrong
> time??? or the engine to rev a little higher before shifts??
>
> The tranny issue is hard for me to tell if its a real problem.
> Seems at low speed ( 10 - 20 mph ) I take my foot off the gas, coast/brake a
> little then when I hit the gas again it sometimes seems to rather abruptly
> go into gear.
>
>
> I've done plenty of research on the 6th generation Accord transmissions but
> that doesnt replace actually driving the car and knowing what a developing
> tranny problem might FEEL like..
>
> For example, I though my old used camry had a funny feel when shifting. I
> brought it to a dealer who said No problem he could find. while in for other
> work I mentioned it to my mechanic who traced it to a missfireing plug, I
> think it was a coil??? ( he drove around with his computer hooked up to the
> car and found it that way.)
> What I felt went away after that! So what I thought all along was a tranny
> problem wasnt...
> Bottom line is ignorance on my part...I have to go with the opinion of the
> mechanic who has driven the car.
>
> I just wanted to bounce this off you guys and hopefully educate myself a
> little more...


shoulda dunnit /before/ blowing 700 bux...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30 Mar 2007, 01:19 pm
comcastss news groups
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????


>
> shoulda dunnit /before/ blowing 700 bux...


Whadda ya mean?

If I didnt replace the cat because of the tranny.
The cat needs replacing.
Where did I blow the $700 bucks?

Actually I called honda. The actual cat for this car costs over $1100
They quoted the wrong price to the mechanic and he made them honor the $790
for the cat.

I actually saved around $400 on the cat....


So where did I blow the $700 ??

Steve


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 31 Mar 2007, 12:29 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mechanic says Cat problem may be causing my Tranny to act up????

comcastss news groups wrote:
>> shoulda dunnit /before/ blowing 700 bux...

>
> Whadda ya mean?
>
> If I didnt replace the cat because of the tranny.
> The cat needs replacing.
> Where did I blow the $700 bucks?
>
> Actually I called honda. The actual cat for this car costs over $1100
> They quoted the wrong price to the mechanic and he made them honor the $790
> for the cat.
>
> I actually saved around $400 on the cat....
>
>
> So where did I blow the $700 ??
>
> Steve
>
>

1. you said:

"Does hit theory about the abrupt shifts caused by the engine not running
right due to the bad cat sound right????

It would be good news if replacing the cat resolved the shifting issue..."

which sounds to me like you want to believe the catalyst affects the
transmission. it doesn't, and replacing it won't stop your shifting
problem.

2. the catalyst has a full retail list price of $671.21, available
online for $469.85.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+PIPE+%28V6%29


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
87 Prelude tranny problem Aussie Honda 2 3 22 Dec 2005 06:07 am
Tranny Problem chefkojak Honda 3 6 01 Oct 2005 07:56 pm
Weak Battery Causing Starter problem mmdir2002@yahoo.co.uk Honda 3 9 17 Feb 2005 07:42 am
'99 Integra LS tranny problem? Fuk of the Mountain Honda 2 3 14 Jul 2004 12:46 pm
'98 Accord tranny problem? Ryan Honda 3 0 23 May 2004 10:09 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.