Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2007, 05:48 pm
James Lewis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default new civic oil change?

My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the gauge
to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k tops)
including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too much? :-)

mike


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2007, 06:32 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:48:03 +0000, James Lewis wrote:

> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the
> gauge to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k
> tops) including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too
> much? :-)
>
> mike



Not as far as I'm concerned!

1980 Toyota Corolla, 244,000 miles, first change at 1500 and then every 3K
after that.

1987 Honda Accord, 220,000 miles, first change at 1500 and then every 3K
after that.

1985 Toyota Corolla GTS, 259,000 and still running, first change at 1500
and then every 3K after that.

1988 Tpyota Supra, records indicate changes at 4K miles, 208,000 and
running great.

I use Castrol GTX at the specified weight, most of the crankcases are 4
quarts including filters, I put in 3.5 Qts of Castrol and 1 Qt of Marvel
Mystery Oil. On all the cars listed above except the Supra. I use Castrol
High Mileage oil in that, and the seal blow-by smoke it was blowing after
being stored for winters is now negligible.

But I put my 2005 Scion TC on Castrol Syntec, and set the Service light
for 4500 miles. Manufacturer's spec is 7500, as it has always been on
Toyotas.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2007, 08:22 pm
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

"James Lewis" <jmpj@verizon.net> wrote in message
newsOYMh.1394$yo3.607@trnddc04...
> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the
> gauge
> to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k tops)
> including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too much? :-)



Make sure you don't change the oil the first time till it's time as that is
not standard oil in there.

After that, you can change the oil more often than necessary, but why
bother? The oil life indicator measures a number of factors to determine
the interval and it will be slightly different for each change. It monitors
engine temp, RPMs, length of trips, etc... Which are all real factors in
determining the interval.

My '01 V-6 Accord, I never change the oil till the light starts blinking
(somewhere in the 7000 to 8000 mile range as I drive mostly highway). I'm
now at 179,000 miles only using dino oil and the engine still starts right
up, run smooth and quiet.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2007, 08:32 pm
Joe LaVigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:48:03 +0000, James Lewis wrote:

> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the gauge
> to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k tops)
> including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too much? :-)
>
> mike


You cannot change it too much for the car, but changing it more than it
needs is a waste of money and resources.

The maintenance minder system works. It was designed by people that know
how to build and maintain a fine automobile. Just change the oil when the
minder tells you to, and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2007, 08:49 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

"James Lewis" <jmpj@verizon.net> wrote in message
newsOYMh.1394$yo3.607@trnddc04...
> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the
> gauge
> to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k tops)
> including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too much? :-)
>
> mike
>

If you go to Jiffy Lube or similar places more oil changes means more
likelihood they will really screw up your car. As long as a good mechanic
does it I don't see the problem.

I am a believer in having oil changes done by the primary care mechanic.
Give him (even if it's 'you') a chance to look for things like CV boots
cracking and leaks starting.

Mike



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Mar 2007, 04:09 pm
G-Man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

Use the maintenance minder.

3K changes are crazy unless you are driving in the harshest environments.

I change every 7,500 in my Hondas before the MM cars. I use Synthetic rated
at 7,500. I have oil analysis's done periodically, and never a problem.

Okay, maybe I'm damaging my cars, but the '96 I'm still driving has 185k on
it now and in 7,500 miles it may use 1/2 qt of oil.

But do what makes you feel better. I hate to see you wasted money and oil!

G-Man


"James Lewis" <jmpj@verizon.net> wrote in message
newsOYMh.1394$yo3.607@trnddc04...
> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the
> gauge
> to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k tops)
> including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too much? :-)
>
> mike
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24 Mar 2007, 04:41 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

In article <130b4smdlthpf15@news.supernews.com>,
"G-Man" <g_foreman@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 3K changes are crazy unless you are driving in the harshest environments.


Or you want every chance to keep it absolutely as long as possible, and
are happy to pay the very cheap insurance that oil changes provide to
keep the engine going.

Yeah, you could end up with a totalled car at 100K miles. So what? All
of life's a gamble. But that's better than having a perfectly good car
with a ruined engine because of something like sludge due to marginal
engineering choices within the engine.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Mar 2007, 05:56 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:22:55 -0400, Seth wrote:

> "James Lewis" <jmpj@verizon.net> wrote in message
> newsOYMh.1394$yo3.607@trnddc04...
>> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the
>> gauge
>> to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k
>> tops) including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too
>> much? :-)

>
>
> Make sure you don't change the oil the first time till it's time as that
> is not standard oil in there.


Not standard oil? What is it?




>
> After that, you can change the oil more often than necessary, but why
> bother? The oil life indicator measures a number of factors to determine
> the interval and it will be slightly different for each change. It
> monitors engine temp, RPMs, length of trips, etc... Which are all real
> factors in determining the interval.
>
> My '01 V-6 Accord, I never change the oil till the light starts blinking
> (somewhere in the 7000 to 8000 mile range as I drive mostly highway). I'm
> now at 179,000 miles only using dino oil and the engine still starts right
> up, run smooth and quiet.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24 Mar 2007, 06:03 pm
Seth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

"Hachiroku *" <Trueno@AE86.gts> wrote in message
news:j0iNh.1180$J21.942@trndny03...
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:22:55 -0400, Seth wrote:
>
>> "James Lewis" <jmpj@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> newsOYMh.1394$yo3.607@trnddc04...
>>> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the
>>> gauge
>>> to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k
>>> tops) including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too
>>> much? :-)

>>
>> Make sure you don't change the oil the first time till it's time as that
>> is not standard oil in there.

>
> Not standard oil? What is it?



"Break-in" oil. Has extra additives.

Google this group for more information as it has been discussed many times.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Mar 2007, 06:15 pm
ecarecar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: new civic oil change?

What the hell is "break-in oil?"


Seth wrote:

> "Hachiroku *" <Trueno@AE86.gts> wrote in message
> news:j0iNh.1180$J21.942@trndny03...
>
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:22:55 -0400, Seth wrote:
>>
>>> "James Lewis" <jmpj@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> newsOYMh.1394$yo3.607@trnddc04...
>>>
>>>> My new 07 civic owner's manual tells me to watch the oil life % on the
>>>> gauge
>>>> to know when to change oil. I've always changed every 3000 miles (4k
>>>> tops) including the filter. Anyone know if you can change your oil too
>>>> much? :-)
>>>
>>>
>>> Make sure you don't change the oil the first time till it's time as
>>> that
>>> is not standard oil in there.

>>
>>
>> Not standard oil? What is it?

>
>
>
> "Break-in" oil. Has extra additives.
>
> Google this group for more information as it has been discussed many
> times.
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94 Honda Civic doesn't start after oil change cvk69 Honda 3 9 31 Jul 2006 12:16 pm
'06 Civic Oil Change Interval Bob Holiday Honda 1 7 22 Jun 2006 08:07 am
Worried: 03 Acura CLS 60k oil change and transmission oil/filter change jsalpan Honda 2 3 22 Dec 2005 05:47 am
Civic Hybrid oil change netnew.comcast.net Honda 2 6 18 May 2004 12:23 am
2004 Civic LX Oil Change Frequency Dennis Marks Honda 3 18 28 Apr 2004 03:29 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.