Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2007, 03:24 am
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1996 Honda Civic DX Electrical Problem

The headlights on my 1996 Honda Civic Dx flicker
when I rev the engine. The speedometer also moves
wildly like there is some ghost in the machine.

My mechanic checked the system with his little
diagnostic computer and said the code went over
1000. He felt not qualified to work on this situation
and suggested I take it to the dealer.

Have any of you had this problem? Any ideas what
this might be?

I just had a new battery and alternator installed
due to wires shorting-out on a piece of metal.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to email me at:

craigdockter@aol.com

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2007, 08:58 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic DX Electrical Problem

"Craig" <craigdockter@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1173597896.988768.144320@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> The headlights on my 1996 Honda Civic Dx flicker
> when I rev the engine. The speedometer also moves
> wildly like there is some ghost in the machine.
>
> My mechanic checked the system with his little
> diagnostic computer and said the code went over
> 1000. He felt not qualified to work on this situation
> and suggested I take it to the dealer.
>
> Have any of you had this problem? Any ideas what
> this might be?
>
> I just had a new battery and alternator installed
> due to wires shorting-out on a piece of metal.
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Please feel free to email me at:
>
> craigdockter@aol.com
>


Let me guess - the alternator was an aftermarket rebuilt. The symptoms point
to the alternator with big flashing arrows. If it is anything else I'd be
amazed.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2007, 10:35 pm
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic DX Electrical Problem

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 05:58:54 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

> "Craig" <craigdockter@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1173597896.988768.144320@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
>> The headlights on my 1996 Honda Civic Dx flicker when I rev the engine.
>> The speedometer also moves wildly like there is some ghost in the
>> machine.
>>
>> My mechanic checked the system with his little diagnostic computer and
>> said the code went over 1000. He felt not qualified to work on this
>> situation and suggested I take it to the dealer.
>>
>> Have any of you had this problem? Any ideas what this might be?
>>
>> I just had a new battery and alternator installed due to wires
>> shorting-out on a piece of metal.
>>
>> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Please feel free to email me at:
>>
>> craigdockter@aol.com
>>
>>

> Let me guess - the alternator was an aftermarket rebuilt. The symptoms
> point to the alternator with big flashing arrows. If it is anything else
> I'd be amazed.
>
> Mike



That was my guess, also. Interesting things about Hondas; the Speedo acts
like a 'voltmeter' when the electrical system has problems. I would take a
good look at the regulator (or just take it back)

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Mar 2007, 07:57 am
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic DX Electrical Problem

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "Craig" <craigdockter@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1173597896.988768.144320@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
>
>>The headlights on my 1996 Honda Civic Dx flicker
>>when I rev the engine. The speedometer also moves
>>wildly like there is some ghost in the machine.
>>
>>My mechanic checked the system with his little
>>diagnostic computer and said the code went over
>>1000. He felt not qualified to work on this situation
>>and suggested I take it to the dealer.
>>
>>Have any of you had this problem? Any ideas what
>>this might be?
>>
>>I just had a new battery and alternator installed
>>due to wires shorting-out on a piece of metal.
>>
>>Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Please feel free to email me at:
>>
>>craigdockter@aol.com
>>

>
>
> Let me guess - the alternator was an aftermarket rebuilt. The symptoms point
> to the alternator with big flashing arrows. If it is anything else I'd be
> amazed.
>
> Mike
>
>

Bet there's an aftermarket radio instal in the mix too. bob
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Mar 2007, 05:08 pm
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic DX Electrical Problem

This was going-on before the new battery
and alternator were installed.

What else do you think it could be?

Thanks,

Craig

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Mar 2007, 09:47 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1996 Honda Civic DX Electrical Problem

"Craig" <craigdockter@aol.com> wrote in
news:1173733684.610825.77200@p10g2000cwp.googlegro ups.com:

> This was going-on before the new battery
> and alternator were installed.
>
> What else do you think it could be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
>


Bad engine ground? Maybe a bad ground somewhere else.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1996 Honda Civic Electric Window Problem AnobizII Honda 2 3 24 Jan 2007 12:38 pm
1996 Honda Civic idling problem Devils Advocate Honda 2 2 06 Apr 2006 09:51 am
Civic Electrical Problem? none@here.com Honda 3 2 10 Nov 2003 06:38 pm
88 Civic Electrical Problem prolific_writer2000@yahoo.com Honda 3 6 08 Nov 2003 06:38 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.