Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 Dec 2011, 06:44 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs
well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even
better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a
very expensive cleaning job.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30 Dec 2011, 06:59 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

In article <jdlls3$t0m$1@dont-email.me>, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

> My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs
> well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even
> better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a
> very expensive cleaning job.


Better to run Shell 93 for a few tanks first, and see if that doesn't
perk things up a bit and/or bring your mileage up. (I say that from
experience. You're not looking for the octane level, you're looking for
the wonderful cleaners that Shell uses in their 93 octane fuel.)

You should hesitate to do much to that engine. Certainly don't let a
service organization "run this stuff through the engine, clean it right
out".
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30 Dec 2011, 07:21 pm
billzz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

There used to be (and may still be) a nationwide company called *maybe* Precision Tuning, or something like that, so don't hold me to that name. So Iwent in when my Pontiac 6000 STE went out of warranty for the special $19.99 tune, or something like that. I had to put down the money, because theydid not trust their customers, and was not going to get it back, if I refused the work./ And what was the work? It seemed that my almost new car needed a fuel injector flush which was about fifty to seventy dollars *before*they could even get to the $19.99 special. I left, leaving the money on the table, and wrote a letter explaining small claims court which would get my money back and they would have to pay court costs. I received a check within the week. I have owned a dozen or so cars, from BMWs, Jaguars, Fiats, Pontiacs, Jeeps, Hondas, etc. And I have never had a fuel injector flush.. The champion was a Jeep dealer who explained that *their* 60K service involved changing all the fluids. for only $600.00. I asked if I got a bloodtransfusion with that. Then I asked for my car, which they took fifteen minutes to find. They lost their Jeep franchise, but still hawk GM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 30 Dec 2011, 07:30 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

On 12/30/2011 4:59 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> Better to run Shell 93 for a few tanks first, and see if that doesn't
> perk things up a bit and/or bring your mileage up. (I say that from
> experience. You're not looking for the octane level, you're looking for
> the wonderful cleaners that Shell uses in their 93 octane fuel.)


I've been using the Chevron 91 and milage is not really a problem. I
still geta round 24-25 mpg combined city/highway milage in the summer,
Winter is another story because of the winter mix the gas stations
carry. I just wonder if cleaner jets would make the engine run smoother.

> You should hesitate to do much to that engine. Certainly don't let a
> service organization "run this stuff through the engine, clean it right
> out".


I wasn't thinking doing that.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 30 Dec 2011, 07:38 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:jdlls3$t0m$1@dont-email.me:

> My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs
> well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even
> better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a
> very expensive cleaning job.




Save your money. Modern gas and Keihin injectors keep mighty clean all on
their own.


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

On 12/30/2011 5:38 PM, Tegger wrote:
>
> Save your money. Modern gas and Keihin injectors keep mighty clean all on
> their own.


Thanks. I'll stay put with my money then.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 31 Dec 2011, 10:09 am
GrumpyOne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article<jdlls3$t0m$1@dont-email.me>, cameo<cameo@unreal.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs
>> well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even
>> better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a
>> very expensive cleaning job.

>
> Better to run Shell 93 for a few tanks first, and see if that doesn't
> perk things up a bit and/or bring your mileage up. (I say that from
> experience. You're not looking for the octane level, you're looking for
> the wonderful cleaners that Shell uses in their 93 octane fuel.)
>
> You should hesitate to do much to that engine. Certainly don't let a
> service organization "run this stuff through the engine, clean it right
> out".




Or add some Techron... That stuff does wonders even with carbed cars!

JT


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 31 Dec 2011, 10:11 am
GrumpyOne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

Tegger wrote:
> cameo<cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in news:jdlls3$t0m$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs
>> well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even
>> better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a
>> very expensive cleaning job.

>
>
>
> Save your money. Modern gas and Keihin injectors keep mighty clean all on
> their own.
>
>




You know that "Keihin" is a very naughty dirty word in the world of
carburetors, right?

EPA inspired to say the least...

JT

(Who sees a Webber in his future)


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 31 Dec 2011, 11:01 am
Douglas C. Neidermeyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

On 12/30/11 7:59 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article<jdlls3$t0m$1@dont-email.me>, cameo<cameo@unreal.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs
>> well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even
>> better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a
>> very expensive cleaning job.

>
> Better to run Shell 93 for a few tanks first, and see if that doesn't
> perk things up a bit and/or bring your mileage up. (I say that from
> experience. You're not looking for the octane level, you're looking for
> the wonderful cleaners that Shell uses in their 93 octane fuel.)
>
> You should hesitate to do much to that engine. Certainly don't let a
> service organization "run this stuff through the engine, clean it right
> out".


Shell is certified by the Top Tier Gas program-- and one condition of
certification is that all grades of gas must contain the same high level
of detergent. Being as they are certified, I wonder about the accuracy
of your statement that the 93 octane is really any cleaner burning.

Back in the day, higher grades indeed had more detergents-- but I'm not
sure that's true any more-- at least for most of the major brands.

I know BP varies detergent level by grade-- and they are not Top Tier
certified.


--
These are the charges as recorded this day.

Faithfully submitted,
Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Sergeant-at-Arms.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

GrumpyOne <Grumpy@nowherenot.net> wrote in
news:jdnc6u$9cf$3@dont-email.me:


>
> You know that "Keihin" is a very naughty dirty word in the world of
> carburetors, right?




But a highly-respected one in the injector world.



>
> EPA inspired to say the least...




/Completely/ EPA-mandated.



--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Injector HondaCivicGal Honda Technical 1 21 Aug 2009 01:26 am
fuel injector cleaning? Chris G. Honda 2 5 29 Nov 2004 03:47 am
Injector Cleaning John Acura 0 22 Sep 2004 06:34 pm
Injector Cleaners Armand Honda 3 4 21 Sep 2004 11:31 am
Injector repair Mickey Honda 3 11 21 Apr 2004 01:09 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.