Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2007, 01:16 pm
Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
parts stores and not one of them carried this item.

Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?

Mike

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2007, 01:25 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

Mike wrote:
> Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
> We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
> being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
> eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
> parts stores and not one of them carried this item.
>
> Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?
>
> Mike


------------------------------------

You might have more luck spraying the seat covers with a staticide, or
by wearing a different pair of pants / jacket.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2007, 06:17 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

motsco_ <motsco_@interbaun.com> wrote in
news:12u91as7k06obab@corp.supernews.com:

> Mike wrote:
>> Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
>> We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
>> being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
>> eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
>> parts stores and not one of them carried this item.
>>
>> Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?
>>
>> Mike

>
> ------------------------------------
>
> You might have more luck spraying the seat covers with a staticide, or
> by wearing a different pair of pants / jacket.
>
> 'Curly'
>


yes,the charge buildup is on YOU,not the car.
I just brush my knuckle against the door frame.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2007, 09:27 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

"Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov> wrote in message
news:Xns98E4C42F7E537jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.85...
> motsco_ <motsco_@interbaun.com> wrote in
> news:12u91as7k06obab@corp.supernews.com:
>
>> Mike wrote:
>>> Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
>>> We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
>>> being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
>>> eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
>>> parts stores and not one of them carried this item.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?
>>>
>>> Mike

>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> You might have more luck spraying the seat covers with a staticide, or
>> by wearing a different pair of pants / jacket.
>>
>> 'Curly'
>>

>
> yes,the charge buildup is on YOU,not the car.
> I just brush my knuckle against the door frame.
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net


I agree, too. Drain straps were fairly common in the 60s to stop static
popping in AM radios. I think carbon additives in tires mostly put a stop to
that.

I've used antistatic sprays on the driver's seat before, and it helps for a
day or two. I even got tired of brushing my knuckle against the latch, so I
just live with the ZAP.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2007, 10:00 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in
news9SdnX4YwYlsannYnZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@sedona.net:

> Drain straps were fairly common in the 60s to stop
> static popping in AM radios. I think carbon additives in tires mostly
> put a stop to that.




Carbon has been added to tires since about 1920. Carbon is what makes tires
black. Absent carbon, tires are WHITE.

Carbon (soot) was added to automotive tires to prevent decomposition due to
ultraviolet radiation. It had nothing at all to do with electricity.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2007, 10:12 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

Mike wrote:
> Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
> We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
> being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
> eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
> parts stores and not one of them carried this item.
>
> Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?
>
> Mike
>

try a new alternator belt from bando. anti-static.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2007, 06:46 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

"jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
news:gomdnekq3vCgnHjYnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
> Mike wrote:
>> Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
>> We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
>> being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
>> eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
>> parts stores and not one of them carried this item.
>>
>> Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> try a new alternator belt from bando. anti-static.


Now you've got me curious - doesn't the alternator belt just run from one
grounded pulley to another?


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2007, 07:46 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
> news:gomdnekq3vCgnHjYnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>> Mike wrote:
>>> Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
>>> We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
>>> being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
>>> eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
>>> parts stores and not one of them carried this item.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> try a new alternator belt from bando. anti-static.

>
> Now you've got me curious - doesn't the alternator belt just run from one
> grounded pulley to another?
>
>

that's what i'da thunk, but my 89 used to jolt me until i put on that
belt. it's got "anti-static, oil & heat resistant" written on it -
didn't order it specially. and i'm reporting the result!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2007, 01:05 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered an grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

"jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
news:baOdnS98H6NMGnjYnZ2dnUVZ_oKnnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
> Michael Pardee wrote:
>> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
>> news:gomdnekq3vCgnHjYnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>>> Mike wrote:
>>>> Our 1999 Odyssey has been shocking the heck out of us all winter.
>>>> We've had this vehicle for a few years now and I never remember it
>>>> being this bad. I just ordered a "stop shock" grounding strap from
>>>> eBay. I'm hoping this will help a lot. I called all the local auto-
>>>> parts stores and not one of them carried this item.
>>>>
>>>> Anyhow, have any of you had luck with grounding straps?
>>>>
>>>> Mike
>>>>
>>> try a new alternator belt from bando. anti-static.

>>
>> Now you've got me curious - doesn't the alternator belt just run from one
>> grounded pulley to another?
>>
>>

> that's what i'da thunk, but my 89 used to jolt me until i put on that
> belt. it's got "anti-static, oil & heat resistant" written on it - didn't
> order it specially. and i'm reporting the result!


Strange but true, I guess! Definitely worth a try.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 28 Feb 2007, 08:01 pm
Howard Lester
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just ordered a grounding strap for 99 Odyssey

"Jim Yanik" wrote

> yes,the charge buildup is on YOU,not the car.
> I just brush my knuckle against the door frame.


Good plan - works every time. For me, the, uh, shock value is strictly SHOE
dependent. I have one pair that just jolts the crap out of me when I get out
of the car unless I hold onto the door jamb latch with my right hand's
fingers as I exit the car. (There is no shock when I wear real leather dress
shoes.) As long as I hold onto that latch when exiting, I receive no shocks
whatsoever under any circumstances with any clothing in any season. I live
in the desert southwest where it's really dry, and that dryness probably
exacerbates the issue. So if that method works here, it should work
anywhere.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90 accord shoulder strap walt peifer Honda 2 1 24 Jan 2007 12:08 pm
90 accord shoulder strap walt peifer Honda 3 2 24 Jan 2007 12:01 pm
Just ordered a 2006 Honda Accord Euro - aka TSX hazchem Acura 6 01 Aug 2006 05:14 am
just ordered 06 accord sedan Dr Nick Honda 3 4 20 Sep 2005 03:27 pm
1991 Honda Accord EX-R grounding cable size? Daniel Honda 3 0 02 Sep 2003 03:48 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.