Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 08:06 pm
Wizard of Oz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Accord stalling

My 1998 Accord 4cyl wants to stall when moving off just after starting. It
has done this for the past 7 years. I took it to the dealership back then
and they could not find any thing wrong but the car came back with the idle
set higher, or it appeared to be. It is worse in cold weather as one would
expect but will do it in summer as well.

Any ideas?

Wiz.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 08:49 pm
Andy & Carol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord stalling

Did they do the recall on the ignition switch? It
causes all sorts of problems. My dealer replaced
mine in my 98 a few years ago. I guess the contacts on the
switch were not heavy enough to carry the current.




"Wizard of Oz" <jpblanc@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:M8uAh.1859$Jl.1147@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
> My 1998 Accord 4cyl wants to stall when moving off just after starting. It
> has done this for the past 7 years. I took it to the dealership back then
> and they could not find any thing wrong but the car came back with the
> idle set higher, or it appeared to be. It is worse in cold weather as one
> would expect but will do it in summer as well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Wiz.
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 09:14 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord stalling

Wizard of Oz wrote:
> My 1998 Accord 4cyl wants to stall when moving off just after starting. It
> has done this for the past 7 years. I took it to the dealership back then
> and they could not find any thing wrong but the car came back with the idle
> set higher, or it appeared to be. It is worse in cold weather as one would
> expect but will do it in summer as well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Wiz.


=================================

Any 'check engine' light? How many times a year do you use injector
cleaner? It sounds like it could be you're warming it up in the
driveway, is that true? Did it start happening when the timing belt was
changed, by chance? You've got some of the symptoms of 'cams out of time'.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Feb 2007, 01:09 am
Wizard of Oz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord stalling

The timing belt is fine and I changed it out about 35k miles ago. If it's
warmed up it is less likely to stall. It's not that it does it all the time.
It happened to my son a few days ago because he was unaware how to stop it
from completely stalling. It wants to stall but if I ease of the gas it
comes back to idle and I can get going again. This is when it's cold. I live
in So Cal so it's not really that cold. I have used injector cleaner the
first time it stalled 7 years ago and that changed nothing. I have not used
any since. The car was serviced by Honda for the first 100k miles and by me
after that. It's done 148K now. Does the fuel filter cause this sort of
problem?

Wiz.

"motsco_" <motsco_@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:12t4v9dj4sash92@corp.supernews.com...
> Wizard of Oz wrote:
>> My 1998 Accord 4cyl wants to stall when moving off just after starting.
>> It has done this for the past 7 years. I took it to the dealership back
>> then and they could not find any thing wrong but the car came back with
>> the idle set higher, or it appeared to be. It is worse in cold weather as
>> one would expect but will do it in summer as well.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Wiz.

>
> =================================
>
> Any 'check engine' light? How many times a year do you use injector
> cleaner? It sounds like it could be you're warming it up in the driveway,
> is that true? Did it start happening when the timing belt was changed, by
> chance? You've got some of the symptoms of 'cams out of time'.
>
> 'Curly'



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Feb 2007, 02:59 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord stalling

"Wizard of Oz" <jpblanc@earthlink.net> wrote in
news:M8uAh.1859$Jl.1147@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net:

> My 1998 Accord 4cyl wants to stall when moving off just after
> starting. It has done this for the past 7 years. I took it to the
> dealership back then and they could not find any thing wrong but the
> car came back with the idle set higher, or it appeared to be. It is
> worse in cold weather as one would expect but will do it in summer as
> well.
>



What's your idle speed from dead cold?

Is the Check Engine light on?



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Feb 2007, 04:47 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord stalling

"Wizard of Oz" <jpblanc@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:vAyAh.2014$tD2.1627@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> The timing belt is fine and I changed it out about 35k miles ago. If it's
> warmed up it is less likely to stall. It's not that it does it all the
> time. It happened to my son a few days ago because he was unaware how to
> stop it from completely stalling. It wants to stall but if I ease of the
> gas it comes back to idle and I can get going again. This is when it's
> cold. I live in So Cal so it's not really that cold. I have used injector
> cleaner the first time it stalled 7 years ago and that changed nothing. I
> have not used any since. The car was serviced by Honda for the first 100k
> miles and by me after that. It's done 148K now. Does the fuel filter cause
> this sort of problem?
>
> Wiz.
>


No, not the fuel filter. That appears either at odd moments or when trying
to accelerate hard.

I would really want to know if the problem is mixture (probably getting too
lean, if so) or timing - particularly ignition. The timing might be easier
to look at, comparing what you see as you manually open the throttle
compared to a similar Honda that didn't try to stall.

But my suspicion keeps returning to the mixture. Why it's happening, I
wouldn't know, but I think the injection is not keeping up with the added
air when you start to open the throttle. The way you describe the recovery
when you let off the throttle really sounds that way.

Question for the more knowledgable - does the '98 have an MAF or an MAP - or
neither?

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14 Feb 2007, 05:59 pm
Wizard of Oz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord stalling

Check engine light is not on.

I will check idle speed when the car comes home.

Wiz.

"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns98D728A601DD6tegger@207.14.116.130...
> "Wizard of Oz" <jpblanc@earthlink.net> wrote in
> news:M8uAh.1859$Jl.1147@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net:
>
>> My 1998 Accord 4cyl wants to stall when moving off just after
>> starting. It has done this for the past 7 years. I took it to the
>> dealership back then and they could not find any thing wrong but the
>> car came back with the idle set higher, or it appeared to be. It is
>> worse in cold weather as one would expect but will do it in summer as
>> well.
>>

>
>
> What's your idle speed from dead cold?
>
> Is the Check Engine light on?
>
>
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90 accord stalling, code 41 43 runderwo@mail.win.org Honda 3 15 23 Mar 2007 03:27 pm
93 Accord stalling Microfiche Honda 2 6 24 Nov 2006 10:05 am
Help, 95 Accord Stalling jeneralzod Honda 2 1 16 Aug 2005 04:58 pm
98 Accord EX 4 cyl. Stalling while driving...help! Daniel Honda 2 0 10 Dec 2003 08:04 am
Re: 97 Accord Stalling after about 5 minutes. 'Curly Q. Links' Honda 2 2 07 Aug 2003 08:06 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.