Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 04:21 pm
JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Catalytic Converter Problems :(

i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so i
cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off and
ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so i can
pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat is
hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent

thx,
Johnner

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 04:43 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com wrote in news:1171405287.697855.162790
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so i
> cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off and
> ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so i can
> pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat is
> hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent
>




What's the specific problem?


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 06:17 pm
JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

On Feb 13, 2:43 pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote in news:1171405287.697855.162790
> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>
> > i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so i
> > cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off and
> > ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so i can
> > pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat is
> > hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent

>
> What's the specific problem?
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


its throwing the check engine light code for catalytic converter
because i took too long replacing the o2 sensor. i am not sure of the
specific problem, so i am wondering, what would be the best course of
action: 1) take my cat conv off until inspection? (would it hurt my
engine, would i get pulled over, etc.) 2) also i was thinking about
taking my car into a local cat shop but they dont do the labor for
taking it off, so i also need to know how to take the cat off.

thx,
johnner

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 06:52 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com wrote in
news:1171412254.876849.12720@l53g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com:

> On Feb 13, 2:43 pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
>> JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote in news:1171405287.697855.162790
>> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so
>> > i cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off
>> > and ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so
>> > i can pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat
>> > is hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent

>>
>> What's the specific problem?
>>
>>
>>

>
> its throwing the check engine light code for catalytic converter




SO... What's the code?
P0420?
P1245657890?
Cough it up.

When did this start?
Did you replace the secondary O2 sensor or the primary?
Why was the O2 sensor replaced?
Has anyone checked for exhaust system leaks, cracked exhaust manifold?



> because i took too long replacing the o2 sensor.




How do you know that's the reason? And which sensor? What was the actual
code?



> i am not sure of the
> specific problem,




Then you are embarking on an expensive experiment that may lead you
absolutely nowhere except to a thinner wallet.



> so i am wondering, what would be the best course of
> action: 1) take my cat conv off until inspection? (would it hurt my
> engine, would i get pulled over, etc.) 2) also i was thinking about
> taking my car into a local cat shop but they dont do the labor for
> taking it off, so i also need to know how to take the cat off.
>



Jeez, before you go running yourself directly into the nearest brick
wall, HELP US HELP YOU. This means giving DETAILS.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 08:35 pm
JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

On Feb 13, 4:52 pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote innews:1171412254.876849.12720@l53g2000cwa.googleg roups.com:
>
>
>
> > On Feb 13, 2:43 pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> >> JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote in news:1171405287.697855.162790
> >> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

>
> >> > i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so
> >> > i cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off
> >> > and ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so
> >> > i can pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat
> >> > is hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent

>
> >> What's the specific problem?

>
> > its throwing the check engine light code for catalytic converter

>
> SO... What's the code?
> P0420?
> P1245657890?
> Cough it up.
>
> When did this start?
> Did you replace the secondary O2 sensor or the primary?
> Why was the O2 sensor replaced?
> Has anyone checked for exhaust system leaks, cracked exhaust manifold?
>
> > because i took too long replacing the o2 sensor.

>
> How do you know that's the reason? And which sensor? What was the actual
> code?
>
> > i am not sure of the
> > specific problem,

>
> Then you are embarking on an expensive experiment that may lead you
> absolutely nowhere except to a thinner wallet.
>
> > so i am wondering, what would be the best course of
> > action: 1) take my cat conv off until inspection? (would it hurt my
> > engine, would i get pulled over, etc.) 2) also i was thinking about
> > taking my car into a local cat shop but they dont do the labor for
> > taking it off, so i also need to know how to take the cat off.

>
> Jeez, before you go running yourself directly into the nearest brick
> wall, HELP US HELP YOU. This means giving DETAILS.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


word. may take a few--i'll get the info.
thx

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 08:57 pm
Andy & Carol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(


<JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171405287.697855.162790@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
>i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so i
> cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off and
> ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so i can
> pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat is
> hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent
>
> thx,
> Johnner


Depending on your mileage, it might be covered under your
emissions warrenty, take it to the dealer and have him check..
Your talking about a $1000, asking won't hurt!>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 09:56 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com wrote:
> i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs.


what's the problem?

> Just moved to Cali so i
> cant get an aftermarket cat.


rubbish. aftermarket catalysts are perfectly legal here - if they meet
spec.

> Dont know if i should take it off and
> ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so i can
> pass inspection....just dont know.


fix the sensors and see what happens first.

> i do know that the old cat is
> hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent


a catalyst cannot hurt the engine.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2007, 07:45 pm
JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

On Feb 13, 6:35 pm, JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 13, 4:52 pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
>
>
>
> > JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote innews:1171412254.876849.12720@l53g2000cwa.googleg roups.com:

>
> > > On Feb 13, 2:43 pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> > >> JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote in news:1171405287.697855.162790
> > >> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

>
> > >> > i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so
> > >> > i cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off
> > >> > and ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so
> > >> > i can pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat
> > >> > is hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent

>
> > >> What's the specific problem?

>
> > > its throwing the check engine light code forcatalyticconverter

>
> > SO... What's the code?
> > P0420?
> > P1245657890?
> > Cough it up.

>
> > When did this start?
> > Did you replace the secondary O2 sensor or the primary?
> > Why was the O2 sensor replaced?
> > Has anyone checked for exhaust system leaks, cracked exhaust manifold?

>
> > > because i took too long replacing the o2 sensor.

>
> > How do you know that's the reason? And which sensor? What was the actual
> > code?

>
> > > i am not sure of the
> > > specific problem,

>
> > Then you are embarking on an expensive experiment that may lead you
> > absolutely nowhere except to a thinner wallet.

>
> > > so i am wondering, what would be the best course of
> > > action: 1) take my cat conv off until inspection? (would it hurt my
> > > engine, would i get pulled over, etc.) 2) also i was thinking about
> > > taking my car into a local cat shop but they dont do the labor for
> > > taking it off, so i also need to know how to take the cat off.

>
> > Jeez, before you go running yourself directly into the nearest brick
> > wall, HELP US HELP YOU. This means giving DETAILS.

>
> > --
> > Tegger

>
> > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

>
> word. may take a few--i'll get the info.
> thx


ok. the code is P0420.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2007, 07:46 pm
JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

On Feb 13, 6:57 pm, "Andy & Carol" <a...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> <JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1171405287.697855.162790@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
>
> >i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs. Just moved to Cali so i
> > cant get an aftermarket cat. Dont know if i should take it off and
> > ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so i can
> > pass inspection....just dont know. i do know that the old cat is
> > hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent

>
> > thx,
> > Johnner

>
> Depending on your mileage, it might be covered under your
> emissions warrenty, take it to the dealer and have him check..
> Your talking about a $1000, asking won't hurt!>


its got 105K

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2007, 07:48 pm
JohnDavidHickman@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Problems :(

On Feb 13, 7:56 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
> JohnDavidHick...@gmail.com wrote:
> > i have a 2001 honda civic ex with cat probs.

>
> what's the problem?
>
> > Just moved to Cali so i
> > cant get an aftermarket cat.

>
> rubbish. aftermarket catalysts are perfectly legal here - if they meet
> spec.
>
> > Dont know if i should take it off and
> > ripp around like a bandit or take it off and get it repaired so i can
> > pass inspection....just dont know.

>
> fix the sensors and see what happens first.
>
> > i do know that the old cat is
> > hurting my engine so any feedback would be excellent

>
> a catalyst cannot hurt the engine.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
catalytic Converter? nordsy Honda 2 5 27 Dec 2006 09:23 pm
catalytic converter loub Honda 3 3 05 Sep 2006 07:22 pm
Catalytic Converter Bleedinred Honda 3 2 22 Apr 2006 12:37 pm
Catalytic converter virtual2real Honda 2 3 10 Feb 2006 08:01 pm
Re: Catalytic Converter jtorr004fiu Honda 3 2 24 Aug 2004 09:19 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.