Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 12:25 am
meciboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it started when
it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once itís running its
great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the engine. Have
taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two spark plugs
because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the battery,
which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over (sometimes
10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i turn the key
and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition components
are original along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i heard this
is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the engine
sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up. Any help?

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/cold-start...ict205968.html

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2007, 08:14 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

meciboy wrote:
> Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it started when
> it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once itÔŅĹs running its
> great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the engine. Have
> taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two spark plugs
> because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the battery,
> which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over (sometimes
> 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i turn the key
> and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition components
> are original along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i heard this
> is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the engine
> sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up. Any help?
>

1. find a new mechanic that knows what they're doing.
2. discover the importance of injector cleaner.
3. look into the famous honda ignition switch problem if not that,
check the chassis earth connections..

i think you have two problems - flooding from leaky injectors causes
starting problems if left overnight. read the owners manual on how to
start a flooded engine. [and don't buy cheap gas and use injector
cleaner regularly.] also, the ignition switch electrics can be
unreliable. the switch is easy enough to replace. check the earth
connections first though.

definitely find a new mechanic. independent honda trained people exist
and are not too expensive - you just need to find one.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Feb 2007, 08:27 pm
Tek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

> > Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it started when
> > it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once it?s running its
> > great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the engine. Have
> > taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two spark plugs
> > because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the battery,
> > which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over (sometimes
> > 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i turn the key
> > and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition components
> > are original along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i heard this
> > is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the engine
> > sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up. Any help?


Yes i can help. Let me start by saying replacing two spark plugs is
the cheapest dumbest idea I HAVE EVER HEARD! FIRE YOUR MECHANIC! If
you have a 95 with original ignition components you really need to
start there. Cap, rotor, wires, and plugs should be your first step.
Make sure they are factory and if you really can't afford it, do not
buy platnum or double tip or what ever else the asshole behind the
counter at autozone trys to sell you. Pre-gapped NGK plugs are what
the factory uses. Get the same. I had recently bought the same car
and when it is wet it didn't run right and it would barely start. I
replaced the ignition components and have not had a problem sence.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2007, 02:29 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

meciboy <none@000.com> wrote in news:975544_
13f482ae8e91ee3b912f5f3ad199a087@autoboardz.com:

> Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it started when
> it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once itís running its
> great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the engine. Have
> taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two spark plugs
> because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the battery,
> which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over (sometimes
> 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i turn the key
> and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition components
> are original





There's likely your problem. The wires are too old.

HT current is leaking off or shorting through the plug boot before it gets
to jump the plug gap.

Replace the wires with new OEM, not aftermarket. Bet the problem goes away.



> along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i heard this
> is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the engine
> sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up.




It's "missing" until warmup? Dead giveaway. It IS missing...because of
ancient wires.

You can use injector cleaner if you like, but it will neither hurt nor help
in this case.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2007, 11:25 pm
meciboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

Thanks for the info. did have the starter replaced because it was
free under warranty. That ignition problem hasnít happened again. I
am going towards the fuel injector route now, iím going to run some
expensive injector cleaner with higher octane gas next fill-up and see
if i notice any difference. Donít know if i want to go as far as
cleaning them off the engine. Thanks for the advice

"jim beam" wrote
> meciboy wrote:
> > Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it

> started when
> > it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once itÔŅĹs

> running its
> > great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the

> engine. Have
> > taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two

> spark plugs
> > because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the

> battery,
> > which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over

> (sometimes
> > 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i

> turn the key
> > and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition

> components
> > are original along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i

> heard this
> > is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the

> engine
> > sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up. Any help?
> >

> 1. find a new mechanic that knows what they're doing.
> 2. discover the importance of injector cleaner.
> 3. look into the famous honda ignition switch problem if not
> that,
> check the chassis earth connections..
>
> i think you have two problems - flooding from leaky injectors
> causes
> starting problems if left overnight. read the owners manual
> on how to
> start a flooded engine. [and don't buy cheap gas and use
> injector
> cleaner regularly.] also, the ignition switch electrics can
> be
> unreliable. the switch is easy enough to replace. check the
> earth
> connections first though.
>
> definitely find a new mechanic. independent honda trained
> people exist
> and are not too expensive - you just need to find one.


--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/cold-start...ict205968.html

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2007, 11:25 pm
meciboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

Did replace the wires but they were generic and didnít fit right-i
took them back, i know i should always stay with OEM for Hondaís.
Going to go with injector cleaner first before i start replacing
anything, the mechanic says Honda wires should be good for life? Iím
not so sure. Thanks for the advic

"Tegger" wrote
> meciboy <none@000.com> wrote in news:975544_
> 13f482ae8e91ee3b912f5f3ad199a087@autoboardz.com:
>
> > Have a 1995 Accord, recently i have difficulty getting it

> started when
> > it sits over-night or its wet/damp outside. Once itís

> running its
> > great, always starts and gets 30 MPG with 190K on the

> engine. Have
> > taken it to the mechanic twice. First time he replaced two

> spark plugs
> > because they were mis-gapped. Second time he said it was the

> battery,
> > which was bad and has been replaced. The engine turns over

> (sometimes
> > 10 or more times) but will not fire, and now sometimes i

> turn the key
> > and nothing happens. Have a newer starter but all ignition

> components
> > are original

>
>
>
>
> There's likely your problem. The wires are too old.
>
> HT current is leaking off or shorting through the plug boot
> before it gets
> to jump the plug gap.
>
> Replace the wires with new OEM, not aftermarket. Bet the
> problem goes away.
>
>
>
> > along with fuel injectors and fuel filter ( i heard this
> > is a bitch to replace). For the first 30 seconds or so the

> engine
> > sounds like its missing until it kind of warms up.

>
>
>
> It's "missing" until warmup? Dead giveaway. It IS
> missing...because of
> ancient wires.
>
> You can use injector cleaner if you like, but it will neither
> hurt nor help
> in this case.
>
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/


--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/cold-start...ict205968.html

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2007, 06:56 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

meciboy <none@000.com> wrote in
news:978284_f9feb211be4afd45ce7c86a913afc020@autob oardz.com:

> Did replace the wires but they were generic and didnít fit right-i
> took them back, i know i should always stay with OEM for Hondaís.
> Going to go with injector cleaner first before i start replacing
> anything, the mechanic says Honda wires should be good for life? Iím
> not so sure.




Absolutely not. The wires are good for maybe seven years. After that the
insulation begins to break down, allowing moisture to wick current away
from the core.

You NEED to replace the entire high-tension side. That means wires, plugs,
cap and rotor. Failure to do this will result in worsening starting
problems and eventual coil/igniter failure.




--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2007, 08:40 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

Tegger wrote:
> meciboy <none@000.com> wrote in
> news:978284_f9feb211be4afd45ce7c86a913afc020@autob oardz.com:
>
>> Did replace the wires but they were generic and didnÔŅĹt fit right-i
>> took them back, i know i should always stay with OEM for HondaÔŅĹs.
>> Going to go with injector cleaner first before i start replacing
>> anything, the mechanic says Honda wires should be good for life? IÔŅĹm
>> not so sure.

>
>
>
> Absolutely not. The wires are good for maybe seven years. After that the
> insulation begins to break down, allowing moisture to wick current away
> from the core.
>
> You NEED to replace the entire high-tension side. That means wires, plugs,
> cap and rotor. Failure to do this will result in worsening starting
> problems and eventual coil/igniter failure.
>


i haven't always enjoyed the greatest results with honda oem wires.
while they are definitely better than cheapo generic garbage from the
local parts store, they're not the best.

among alternatives:
1. ngk standard core are good quality leads, widely available and
competitively priced. easily as good as oem.

2. ngk coiled core are absolutely excellent - coiled core is the best
kind of lead to use. they definitely make the car run better at low
rpm's, starting is quicker and most importantly, they get rid of
electrical noise throughout the system.

3. even better than that are are magnecor leads. but they're not as
straight forward to use as the leads are thicker than oem. and the
connectors look a little funky, if you care about such things.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05 Mar 2007, 02:28 am
meciboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: cold-starting problem with 1995 Accord

Great advice, youíre right, the mechanic did say he sprayed water on
the engine and it ran bad until it dried off, this makes sense that
the wires are worn. Will replace wires , cap, and rotor. Thank

"Tegger" wrote
> meciboy <none@000.com> wrote in
> news:978284_f9feb211be4afd45ce7c86a913afc020@autob oardz.com:
>
> > Did replace the wires but they were generic and didnít fit

> right-i
> > took them back, i know i should always stay with OEM for

> Hondaís.
> > Going to go with injector cleaner first before i start

> replacing
> > anything, the mechanic says Honda wires should be good for

> life? Iím
> > not so sure.

>
>
>
> Absolutely not. The wires are good for maybe seven years.
> After that the
> insulation begins to break down, allowing moisture to wick
> current away
> from the core.
>
> You NEED to replace the entire high-tension side. That means
> wires, plugs,
> cap and rotor. Failure to do this will result in worsening
> starting
> problems and eventual coil/igniter failure.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/


--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/cold-start...ict205968.html

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
89 Accord starting problem when cold Herb Honda 3 5 19 Sep 2005 08:50 pm
1992 Prelude Cold Starting Problem (White Smoke) Ryan Radford Honda 3 2 20 Oct 2004 07:08 pm
1992 Prelude Cold Starting Problem (White Smoke) Ryan Radford Honda 2 1 18 Oct 2004 02:44 pm
1995 Honda Accord - Starting? Tres Honda 2 3 06 Jun 2004 04:47 am
1995 Honda Accord - Starting? Tres Honda 3 1 02 Jun 2004 11:38 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.