Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2007, 12:25 am
yatabata
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default something weird going on here?

Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the crank
sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called the shop I
bought the head from and they are kinda stumped too? I put the number
one cylinder up and valves little tight so loosened up so the .006
will fit and the .011 on the exhaust. will go through the rest of the
4 cylinders and check again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder
if they somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
thanks.

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/weird-ftopict205110.html

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2007, 08:22 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

yatabata <none@000.com> wrote in news:971752_
631188ee28f5160ee73280c5cfce8b4e@autoboardz.com:

> Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the crank
> sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called the shop I
> bought the head from and they are kinda stumped too? I put the number
> one cylinder up and valves little tight so loosened up so the .006
> will fit and the .011 on the exhaust. will go through the rest of the
> 4 cylinders and check again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder
> if they somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
> thanks.
>




Remove the head once more. Flatten a bit of plasticine on the piston tops
so it covers only the areas where the valves might come close to the
pistons (maybe 1/16" thick).

Crank the engine over by hand four full revolutions. Remove head. Observe
dents in plasticine.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2007, 09:02 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

Tegger wrote:
> yatabata <none@000.com> wrote in news:971752_
> 631188ee28f5160ee73280c5cfce8b4e@autoboardz.com:
>
>> Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the crank
>> sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called the shop I
>> bought the head from and they are kinda stumped too? I put the number
>> one cylinder up and valves little tight so loosened up so the .006
>> will fit and the .011 on the exhaust. will go through the rest of the
>> 4 cylinders and check again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder
>> if they somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
>> thanks.
>>

>
>
>
> Remove the head once more. Flatten a bit of plasticine on the piston tops
> so it covers only the areas where the valves might come close to the
> pistons (maybe 1/16" thick).
>
> Crank the engine over by hand four full revolutions. Remove head. Observe
> dents in plasticine.
>

that's a lot of work to figure out the timing belt's not been set right
- i'd check for that "gotcha!" first.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2007, 12:01 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

jim beam <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in
news:uM2dnQLmCfF3nV_YnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

> Tegger wrote:
>> yatabata <none@000.com> wrote in news:971752_
>> 631188ee28f5160ee73280c5cfce8b4e@autoboardz.com:
>>
>>> Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the crank
>>> sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called the shop I
>>> bought the head from and they are kinda stumped too? I put the
>>> number one cylinder up and valves little tight so loosened up so the
>>> .006 will fit and the .011 on the exhaust. will go through the rest
>>> of the 4 cylinders and check again for this noise/tapping. after
>>> that wonder if they somehow installed the wrong valves? have any
>>> suggestions thanks.
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> Remove the head once more. Flatten a bit of plasticine on the piston
>> tops so it covers only the areas where the valves might come close to
>> the pistons (maybe 1/16" thick).
>>
>> Crank the engine over by hand four full revolutions. Remove head.
>> Observe dents in plasticine.
>>

> that's a lot of work to figure out the timing belt's not been set
> right - i'd check for that "gotcha!" first.




You're right of course.

I think I was confusing this thread with a similar one somewhere else where
the OP had rebuilt the engine and ended up wuth the same problem.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2007, 11:25 pm
yatabata
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

got into it today again after work and adjusted all the valves but
when hand cranking again hearing the same noise. then before starting
to remove rocker assy. and cam to see if they installed the right
parts tried something else. took the timing belt back off and rotated
the crank. heading same noise? I think the noise is coming from the
bent timing tab that was bent down when breaking loose the crank bolt.
I think the tab is hitting something at the bottom end of the
rotation. If that is it about the only way to bend it back up through
that small witness hole is with a slide hammer with a stong hook
whatever on the end. question now is has anybody had the same problem
and is this how that fixed the problem too

"yatabata" wrote
> Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the
> crank sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called
> the shop I bought the head from and they are kinda stumped
> too? I put the number one cylinder up and valves little tight
> so loosened up so the .006 will fit and the .011 on the
> exhaust. will go through the rest of the 4 cylinders and check
> again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder if they
> somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
> thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2007, 01:25 am
yatabata
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

turned out I was right. It was the timing plate the was bent and
causing the noise. a friend had a home made slide hammer with a hook
on the end which worked getting it back up and stopped the contact
that was causing the noise when rotating the crank. started it today
and noise gone now. on to putting the belts covers ect. back on to
complete the job now. for you all who have problems like this let me
know and can hopefully help. :

"yatabata" wrote
> Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the
> crank sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called
> the shop I bought the head from and they are kinda stumped
> too? I put the number one cylinder up and valves little tight
> so loosened up so the .006 will fit and the .011 on the
> exhaust. will go through the rest of the 4 cylinders and check
> again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder if they
> somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
> thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2007, 07:43 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

yatabata wrote:
> turned out I was right. It was the timing plate the was bent and
> causing the noise. a friend had a home made slide hammer with a hook
> on the end which worked getting it back up and stopped the contact
> that was causing the noise when rotating the crank.


i would be very cautious about that repair. you many not be able to
hear anything right now, but there's a good chance that there's still
something rubbing and potentially fraying your timing belt. the safe
choice is to strip down and /replace/ whatever it is you bent.

> started it today
> and noise gone now. on to putting the belts covers ect. back on to
> complete the job now. for you all who have problems like this let me
> know and can hopefully help. :P
>
> "yatabata" wrote:
> > Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the
> > crank sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called
> > the shop I bought the head from and they are kinda stumped
> > too? I put the number one cylinder up and valves little tight
> > so loosened up so the .006 will fit and the .011 on the
> > exhaust. will go through the rest of the 4 cylinders and check
> > again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder if they
> > somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
> > thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05 Feb 2007, 12:26 am
yatabata
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

Thanks for your response back but maybe I didnt make myself care as
to what was bent. The timing plate is on the other end and the timing
belt is on the end with the pulley and crank. The timing plate is no
reason to remove anything unless it breaks off then the oil pan would
have to be removed to get it out

"yatabata" wrote
> Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the
> crank sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called
> the shop I bought the head from and they are kinda stumped
> too? I put the number one cylinder up and valves little tight
> so loosened up so the .006 will fit and the .011 on the
> exhaust. will go through the rest of the 4 cylinders and check
> again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder if they
> somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
> thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05 Feb 2007, 09:36 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: something weird going on here?

yatabata wrote:
> Thanks for your response back but maybe I didn�t make myself care as
> to what was bent. The timing plate is on the other end and the timing
> belt is on the end with the pulley and crank. The timing plate is no
> reason to remove anything unless it breaks off then the oil pan would
> have to be removed to get it out.


the toothed pulley the crank turns for the timing belt comes off in your
hand - no need to pull the oil pan to replace anything. it's still not
clear exactly what you bent, but whatever it is, it's your call what you
do next: reliability or taking a chance on bent valves? seems like an
easy choice to me.

>
> "yatabata" wrote:
> > Just replaced the head on my 89 honda accord and rotating the
> > crank sounds like the valves are hitting the pistons? called
> > the shop I bought the head from and they are kinda stumped
> > too? I put the number one cylinder up and valves little tight
> > so loosened up so the .006 will fit and the .011 on the
> > exhaust. will go through the rest of the 4 cylinders and check
> > again for this noise/tapping. after that wonder if they
> > somehow installed the wrong valves? have any suggestions
> > thanks.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weird noise picofsky3@yahoo.com Honda 3 2 16 Aug 2007 09:32 pm
A weird one... Tegger Honda 3 3 23 Apr 2007 01:40 pm
This is weird....what is this noise? jfournier72@gmail.com Honda 3 6 03 Oct 2006 05:57 pm
weird AC problem nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com Honda 2 2 15 Jul 2006 09:47 am
weird noise? Happy The Clown Honda 2 5 07 Jul 2006 07:18 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.