Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jan 2007, 09:56 pm
Ray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Time delay locking your keys in the Civic ..good to know


The 2006 Honda Civic's doors will lock automatically after about 5 minutes
if the vehicle is unlocked without the keys in the ignition.
>>
>> If you open the doors - take the keys with you.
>>
>> If you start up the car, have it running with the keys making contact
>> with the ignition - just having the keys in the ignition and the car >>
>> turned off it will NOT lock.
>>
>> BUT if you got to your car, took something out, or changed your mind
>> about getting in and if you don't put the keys into the ignition - the
>> doors will lock on you after several minutes. Don't leave the keys on
>> the seat somewhere.
>>
>> If you start the car up to warm it up and start clearing off the snow -
>> as long as the key is in the ignition you won't be stuck.
>>
>> You learn something every day.
>>



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2007, 01:28 am
Joe LaVigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time delay locking your keys in the Civic ..good to know

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:56:15 -0500, Ray wrote:

> The 2006 Honda Civic's doors will lock automatically after about 5 minutes
> if the vehicle is unlocked without the keys in the ignition.
>>>
>>> If you open the doors - take the keys with you.
>>>
>>> If you start up the car, have it running with the keys making contact
>>> with the ignition - just having the keys in the ignition and the car >>
>>> turned off it will NOT lock.
>>>
>>> BUT if you got to your car, took something out, or changed your mind
>>> about getting in and if you don't put the keys into the ignition - the
>>> doors will lock on you after several minutes. Don't leave the keys on
>>> the seat somewhere.
>>>
>>> If you start the car up to warm it up and start clearing off the snow -
>>> as long as the key is in the ignition you won't be stuck.
>>>
>>> You learn something every day.
>>>


Since accidentally locking my car door, while it was running, on the side
of a rural road 50 miles from home, during a snow storm, me without my
jacket on, with 30 MPH winds and 15 F temps, about three years ago, I
never leave home without the valet key in my pocket.

But, the poster is right. If your keys are in the ignition, you cannot
lock the doors. I couldn't even lock them with the lock button on the
door latch handle.

I am not sure if this is a perfect situation, but it sure can save your
ass... ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2007, 08:59 am
Dano58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time delay locking your keys in the Civic ..good to know


Ray wrote:
> The 2006 Honda Civic's doors will lock automatically after about 5 minutes
> if the vehicle is unlocked without the keys in the ignition.


This doesn't make sense. What you're saying is, if I go out and unlock
my car, open the door, get in, put the keys on the passenger's seat,
get out, close the door and go away for ten minutes - when I come back
the car will have locked itself?

I know our Odyssey (and my Audi, for that matter) will re-lock
themselves after a short period of time (like 1 minute) if the car is
unlocked and NO door is open within that time frame.

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2007, 12:40 pm
Art
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time delay locking your keys in the Civic ..good to know


"Joe LaVigne" <jlavigne@hits-buffalo.com> wrote in message
news:ep4df5$765$1@news.datemas.de...
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:56:15 -0500, Ray wrote:
>
>> The 2006 Honda Civic's doors will lock automatically after about 5
>> minutes
>> if the vehicle is unlocked without the keys in the ignition.
>>>>
>>>> If you open the doors - take the keys with you.
>>>>
>>>> If you start up the car, have it running with the keys making contact
>>>> with the ignition - just having the keys in the ignition and the car
>>>> >>
>>>> turned off it will NOT lock.
>>>>
>>>> BUT if you got to your car, took something out, or changed your mind
>>>> about getting in and if you don't put the keys into the ignition - the
>>>> doors will lock on you after several minutes. Don't leave the keys on
>>>> the seat somewhere.
>>>>
>>>> If you start the car up to warm it up and start clearing off the
>>>> snow -
>>>> as long as the key is in the ignition you won't be stuck.
>>>>
>>>> You learn something every day.
>>>>

>
> Since accidentally locking my car door, while it was running, on the side
> of a rural road 50 miles from home, during a snow storm, me without my
> jacket on, with 30 MPH winds and 15 F temps, about three years ago, I
> never leave home without the valet key in my pocket.




I did something similar in Rochester NY during a snow storm. Fortunately
that was back decades ago with a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger hard top. Breaking
in with a borrowed hanger took about 5 seconds.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2007, 01:16 pm
Joe LaVigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time delay locking your keys in the Civic ..good to know

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:40:58 +0000, Art wrote:

> "Joe LaVigne" <jlavigne@hits-buffalo.com> wrote in message
> news:ep4df5$765$1@news.datemas.de...
>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:56:15 -0500, Ray wrote:
>>
>>> The 2006 Honda Civic's doors will lock automatically after about 5
>>> minutes
>>> if the vehicle is unlocked without the keys in the ignition.
>>>>>
>>>>> If you open the doors - take the keys with you.
>>>>>
>>>>> If you start up the car, have it running with the keys making contact
>>>>> with the ignition - just having the keys in the ignition and the car
>>>>> >>
>>>>> turned off it will NOT lock.
>>>>>
>>>>> BUT if you got to your car, took something out, or changed your mind
>>>>> about getting in and if you don't put the keys into the ignition - the
>>>>> doors will lock on you after several minutes. Don't leave the keys on
>>>>> the seat somewhere.
>>>>>
>>>>> If you start the car up to warm it up and start clearing off the
>>>>> snow -
>>>>> as long as the key is in the ignition you won't be stuck.
>>>>>
>>>>> You learn something every day.
>>>>>

>>
>> Since accidentally locking my car door, while it was running, on the side
>> of a rural road 50 miles from home, during a snow storm, me without my
>> jacket on, with 30 MPH winds and 15 F temps, about three years ago, I
>> never leave home without the valet key in my pocket.

>
>
>
> I did something similar in Rochester NY during a snow storm. Fortunately
> that was back decades ago with a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger hard top. Breaking
> in with a borrowed hanger took about 5 seconds.


I was outside of Franklinville, NY. No houses in visible distance.

Got lucky that a couple stopped 10 minutes later, let me use their cell
phone and wait in their car until AAA showed up.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2007, 06:13 pm
Bucky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Time delay locking your keys in the Civic ..good to know

On Jan 23, 6:59 am, "Dano58" <dan.dibi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What you're saying is, if I go out and unlock
> my car, open the door, get in, put the keys on the passenger's seat,
> get out, close the door and go away for ten minutes - when I come back
> the car will have locked itself?


hmm, yeah, that doesn't seem like a good scenario.

> I know our Odyssey (and my Audi, for that matter) will re-lock
> themselves after a short period of time (like 1 minute) if the car is
> unlocked and NO door is open within that time frame.


right, I think most Honda and Acura cars now do this.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with Central Locking on '99 Honda Civic JIM - 1966 MGB GT Honda 3 3 19 Jun 2007 04:32 am
Civic '92 throttle response delay, bad idle Kerozin Honda 3 19 13 Apr 2007 01:40 pm
04 Civic lost keys need new key and remote ANC Honda 2 2 04 Jan 2006 01:26 pm
04 Civic lost keys need new key and remote ANC Honda 3 9 31 Dec 2005 06:08 pm
2001 prelude Locking mecanisms keeps locking Michael Scarlett Honda 3 4 06 Sep 2004 10:30 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.