Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2007, 05:21 pm
Bruce Chastain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Accord V6 Transmission Recall?

I have a 2002 Accord V6 automatic transmission that's giving me no trouble
so far.

I've read here several times about a pattern of automatic transmission
failure and a possible recall.

Can anyone provide the details about that? Is 2002 affected? What is the
problem and what are the symptoms of a failing transmission?

Bruce.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2007, 07:31 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord V6 Transmission Recall?

"Bruce Chastain" <bachasNOXSPAMtain@sbcNOXSPAMglobal.net> wrote in
news:qIgmh.55944$qO4.6958@newssvr13.news.prodigy.n et:

> I have a 2002 Accord V6 automatic transmission that's giving me no
> trouble so far.
>
> I've read here several times about a pattern of automatic transmission
> failure and a possible recall.





It mostly affects 3.0 V6 Accords from '98 to '02 (and MDX's and Odysseys),
but not all VINs. There is no actual recall, but the tranny warranty has
been officially extended to 8 years and 80K miles.

There was a design flaw having to do with heat buildup and fluid leaks.


>
> Can anyone provide the details about that? Is 2002 affected? What is
> the problem and what are the symptoms of a failing transmission?
>




Symptoms are jerky shifts, "flaring" between shifts (engine unaccountably
revs high), and odd noises from the tranny.

Honda's approach has been to deal with these on a case-by-case basis,
starting with the moment you come in to the dealer compaining of the above
behavior. You'd be best to wait until the symptoms show up before going in.
Honda has been very lenient with no-charge repairs and replacements.

A caution though: change the fluid according to the official Maintenance
Schedule, and only ever use Honda ATF-Z1 fluid. If there is any other kind
of fluid in there, get rid of it now. Doing this will help in getting
attention from the dealer if your tranny ever decides to go south on you.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2007, 08:24 pm
Bruce Chastain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord V6 Transmission Recall?

"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns98ABD0B421F54tegger@207.14.116.130...
> It mostly affects 3.0 V6 Accords from '98 to '02 (and MDX's and Odysseys),
> but not all VINs. There is no actual recall, but the tranny warranty has
> been officially extended to 8 years and 80K miles.


I'm not sure the size of my engine, but if all 2002 Accord V6s are 3.0, then
that's what I must have.

> There was a design flaw having to do with heat buildup and fluid leaks.


Ok, I'll watch the fluid level more carefully.

> Symptoms are jerky shifts, "flaring" between shifts (engine unaccountably
> revs high), and odd noises from the tranny.


Thanks for the symptoms. No sign of those so far. Hopefully I'll never
experience those. At this point it's 4 years old with 36K miles on it.

> A caution though: change the fluid according to the official Maintenance
> Schedule, and only ever use Honda ATF-Z1 fluid. If there is any other kind
> of fluid in there, get rid of it now. Doing this will help in getting
> attention from the dealer if your tranny ever decides to go south on you.


Understood. I'm planning on taking it back to the dealer for trans fluid
replacement soon. The fluild isn't red anymore but a pale brown so I think
it's time.

Thanks for the information and help Tegger.

Bruce.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2007, 09:18 pm
MLD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord V6 Transmission Recall?


"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns98ABD0B421F54tegger@207.14.116.130...
> "Bruce Chastain" <bachasNOXSPAMtain@sbcNOXSPAMglobal.net> wrote in
> news:qIgmh.55944$qO4.6958@newssvr13.news.prodigy.n et:
>
> > I have a 2002 Accord V6 automatic transmission that's giving me no
> > trouble so far.
> >
> > I've read here several times about a pattern of automatic transmission
> > failure and a possible recall.

>
>
>
>
> It mostly affects 3.0 V6 Accords from '98 to '02 (and MDX's and Odysseys),
> but not all VINs. There is no actual recall, but the tranny warranty has
> been officially extended to 8 years and 80K miles.
>

If your car falls within the extra warranty than you will be notified by
Honda. I recall that it is 7 yrs and 109,000 miles.
MLD


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2007, 12:08 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord V6 Transmission Recall?

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in news:Y9kmh.3657$xu4.1255@trndny07:


>>

> If your car falls within the extra warranty than you will be notified
> by Honda.




The *original purchaser* will be informed. And even then a certain
percentage of people will tend to throw out the notices, imagining them to
be junk mail.



> I recall that it is 7 yrs and 109,000 miles.
> MLD
>



You're probably right. I was going by memory.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2007, 01:15 pm
Bruce Chastain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord V6 Transmission Recall?

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:Y9kmh.3657$xu4.1255@trndny07...
> If your car falls within the extra warranty than you will be notified by
> Honda. I recall that it is 7 yrs and 109,000 miles.


Thanks for the information. I am the original owner and I don't think I've
received a notice, but as Tegger said, tossing it as unopened spam is always
possible.

Bruce.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'03 Transmission recall RanMan Acura 0 12 Jan 2005 09:06 pm
Acura transmission recall? julian wan Honda 2 5 30 Sep 2004 05:18 pm
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - Recall t_lak77@hotmail.com Honda 3 4 13 Aug 2004 05:33 pm
Acura Transmission Recall rll Acura 1 05 Jul 2004 01:03 pm
Honda transmission recall - Ody, Pilot, MDX Gordon McGrew Honda 3 5 19 Apr 2004 06:58 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.