Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26 Dec 2006, 02:25 pm
nordsy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default catalytic Converter?

If I replace the catalytic converter with an universal one, (only
because I can save a ton of money vs buying original Honda. does
anyone know if this will keep or clear the check engine light? Honda
dealer is saying it may or may not since itís not the original.

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface
Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/catalytic-...ict201556.html

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26 Dec 2006, 05:19 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: catalytic Converter?

nordsy <none@000.com> wrote in news:955626_
88246e636119531cc91791e906ea92ed@autoboardz.com:

> If I replace the catalytic converter with an universal one, (only
> because I can save a ton of money vs buying original Honda. does
> anyone know if this will keep or clear the check engine light? Honda
> dealer is saying it may or may not since itís not the original.
>




It will work just fine, just not for very long.

Aftermarket cats are cheap largely because they aren't made as well as OEM
cats. You'll get at least two years out of the aftermarket job, maybe one
or two more. An OEM cat is good for 15 years.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26 Dec 2006, 05:24 pm
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: catalytic Converter?

Unless it is on an Odyssey. On the Odyssey you need a cat that is designed
for large volume which most general replacements aren't.

"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns98A5BA099D694tegger@207.14.116.130...
> nordsy <none@000.com> wrote in news:955626_
> 88246e636119531cc91791e906ea92ed@autoboardz.com:
>
>> If I replace the catalytic converter with an universal one, (only
>> because I can save a ton of money vs buying original Honda. does
>> anyone know if this will keep or clear the check engine light? Honda
>> dealer is saying it may or may not since itís not the original.
>>

>
>
>
> It will work just fine, just not for very long.
>
> Aftermarket cats are cheap largely because they aren't made as well as OEM
> cats. You'll get at least two years out of the aftermarket job, maybe one
> or two more. An OEM cat is good for 15 years.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Dec 2006, 05:47 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: catalytic Converter?

"Woody" <TheDuck@Pond.net> wrote in
newsaikh.17936$QU1.10651@newssvr22.news.prodigy. net:

> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
> news:Xns98A5BA099D694tegger@207.14.116.130...
>> nordsy <none@000.com> wrote in news:955626_
>> 88246e636119531cc91791e906ea92ed@autoboardz.com:
>>
>>> If I replace the catalytic converter with an universal one, (only
>>> because I can save a ton of money vs buying original Honda. does
>>> anyone know if this will keep or clear the check engine light? Honda
>>> dealer is saying it may or may not since itís not the original.
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> It will work just fine, just not for very long.
>>
>> Aftermarket cats are cheap largely because they aren't made as well
>> as OEM cats. You'll get at least two years out of the aftermarket
>> job, maybe one or two more. An OEM cat is good for 15 years.
>>

>
> Unless it is on an Odyssey. On the Odyssey you need a cat that is
> designed for large volume which most general replacements aren't.
>



You mean you'd need a cat designed for the gas flow from a 3.5L V6 instead
of a 1.5L four. If you put a 4-banger cat on the V6, you wouldn't be going
anywhere very quickly, and your MIL will probably come on.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Dec 2006, 04:57 pm
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: catalytic Converter?

If you read the threads on odyclub.com on replacing the Odyssey converter
with an after market Converter very few succeed. Most have problems with the
code returning shortly after the replacement probably due to the tight specs
of the computer and the volume of the 3.5 engine. Replacing the converter on
an Odyssey I would get a written guarantee that it will work....


"Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns98A5BEC09132tegger@207.14.116.130...
> "Woody" <TheDuck@Pond.net> wrote in
> newsaikh.17936$QU1.10651@newssvr22.news.prodigy. net:
>
>> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
>> news:Xns98A5BA099D694tegger@207.14.116.130...
>>> nordsy <none@000.com> wrote in news:955626_
>>> 88246e636119531cc91791e906ea92ed@autoboardz.com:
>>>
>>>> If I replace the catalytic converter with an universal one, (only
>>>> because I can save a ton of money vs buying original Honda. does
>>>> anyone know if this will keep or clear the check engine light? Honda
>>>> dealer is saying it may or may not since itís not the original.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It will work just fine, just not for very long.
>>>
>>> Aftermarket cats are cheap largely because they aren't made as well
>>> as OEM cats. You'll get at least two years out of the aftermarket
>>> job, maybe one or two more. An OEM cat is good for 15 years.
>>>

>>
>> Unless it is on an Odyssey. On the Odyssey you need a cat that is
>> designed for large volume which most general replacements aren't.
>>

>
>
> You mean you'd need a cat designed for the gas flow from a 3.5L V6 instead
> of a 1.5L four. If you put a 4-banger cat on the V6, you wouldn't be going
> anywhere very quickly, and your MIL will probably come on.
>
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Dec 2006, 09:23 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: catalytic Converter?

"Woody" <TheDuck@Pond.net> wrote in
news:XTCkh.483$ji1.161@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
> news:Xns98A5BEC09132tegger@207.14.116.130...
>> "Woody" <TheDuck@Pond.net> wrote in
>> newsaikh.17936$QU1.10651@newssvr22.news.prodigy. net:
>>
>>> "Tegger" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns98A5BA099D694tegger@207.14.116.130...
>>>> nordsy <none@000.com> wrote in news:955626_
>>>> 88246e636119531cc91791e906ea92ed@autoboardz.com:
>>>>
>>>>> If I replace the catalytic converter with an universal one, (only
>>>>> because I can save a ton of money vs buying original Honda. does
>>>>> anyone know if this will keep or clear the check engine light?
>>>>> Honda dealer is saying it may or may not since itís not the
>>>>> original.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It will work just fine, just not for very long.
>>>>
>>>> Aftermarket cats are cheap largely because they aren't made as well
>>>> as OEM cats. You'll get at least two years out of the aftermarket
>>>> job, maybe one or two more. An OEM cat is good for 15 years.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Unless it is on an Odyssey. On the Odyssey you need a cat that is
>>> designed for large volume which most general replacements aren't.
>>>

>>
>>
>> You mean you'd need a cat designed for the gas flow from a 3.5L V6
>> instead of a 1.5L four. If you put a 4-banger cat on the V6, you
>> wouldn't be going anywhere very quickly, and your MIL will probably
>> come on.
>>
>>

>
>
> If you read the threads on odyclub.com on replacing the Odyssey
> converter with an after market Converter very few succeed. Most have
> problems with the code returning shortly after the replacement
> probably due to the tight specs of the computer and the volume of the
> 3.5 engine. Replacing the converter on an Odyssey I would get a
> written guarantee that it will work....




Hm. Then it would appear obvious that the aftermarket cats in question
have not sufficient fluid flow for the 3.5's needs.

Considering the aftermarket makes cats for engines as large as seven
liters (or 3.5 liters per bank), somebody's getting pretty poor service
somewhere...

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
catalytic converter newman Honda 3 4 26 Jun 2007 06:28 pm
catalytic converter loub Honda 3 3 05 Sep 2006 07:22 pm
Catalytic converter virtual2real Honda 2 3 10 Feb 2006 08:01 pm
Re: Catalytic Converter jtorr004fiu Honda 3 2 24 Aug 2004 09:19 pm
Catalytic converter rastapasta Acura 2 27 Jul 2004 11:50 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.