Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 12:35 pm
bug67ph@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Valve clearance question

I adjusted the valve clearances on a '95 Civic, 1.6L DOHC non-vtec,
yesterday, with good results. However I read on an older thread that,
while measuring the gap, you should push down on the other end of the
rocker arm to eliminate slack.

Should I have done this?

Any other things to adjust to reduce engine clatter?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 01:27 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question

bug67ph@gmail.com wrote:
<SNIP>
> Any other things to adjust to reduce engine clatter?

------------------------------------

Shift WAY later, read the owner's manual about how high you can rev the
Honda. It's often more efficient (and way easier on the engine) to use a
lower gear and rev the engine up.

My CR-V manual says I can go 90 Mph (145 Km/Hr) before shifting out of
D3 to D4 (DRIVE). The neighbors would notice.

'Curly'

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 05:23 pm
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question

bug67ph@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I adjusted the valve clearances on a '95 Civic, 1.6L DOHC non-vtec,
> yesterday, with good results. However I read on an older thread that,
> while measuring the gap, you should push down on the other end of the
> rocker arm to eliminate slack.
>
> Should I have done this?


No.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 06:22 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question

bug67ph@gmail.com wrote in news:1162406136.858171.23130
@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> I adjusted the valve clearances on a '95 Civic, 1.6L DOHC non-vtec,
> yesterday, with good results. However I read on an older thread that,
> while measuring the gap, you should push down on the other end of the
> rocker arm to eliminate slack.



WRONG! Just position the cam lobes properly (critical!) then slide the
gauge in place. The fit should be just snug enough that you can feel a
touch of drag when you slide it between the cam lobe and follower.

Warning: Some of the valves are placed such that it's VERY easy to mis-
position the feeler and think the clearance is too tight. Give each one
a good hard shove (short of bending the feeler) to make certain it
actually won't go and isn't just twisted.

I like to use two gauges, a "go" and a "no go". Say tolerances are
..006" to .008". I'd use a .006" as a "go" and a .008" as a "no go". This
means my final tolerances are necessarily between .006 and .008, and
thus correct.

BTW, some feeler gauge sets are cheaply made and have a burr around the
edges. You can feel this burr with your fingernail. If such exists on
your set, gently file or sand it off.



>
> Should I have done this?
>
> Any other things to adjust to reduce engine clatter?
>



Does this "clatter" happen all the time, or only for the first few
seconds on startup?



--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 06:49 pm
ExtremeValue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question


Can somebody please give me a some hint as to why valve adjustment is
necessary. Thanks a lot. My 1996 civic seems alright at this moment.
But as the winter sets in, I only notice "tick tick" sound in the
morning for 1 or 1/2 minutes when the engine is cold. I was wondering
if this is something to do with valve adjustment. It's got 220K km and
I don't know its service history. Its been with me for 1 year, from
210Kkm. Its runs good, idles good and no unwanted sound coming from the
engine either.





On Nov 1, 7:22 pm, "TeGGeR®" <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> bug6...@gmail.com wrote in news:1162406136.858171.23130
> @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I adjusted the valve clearances on a '95 Civic, 1.6L DOHC non-vtec,
> > yesterday, with good results. However I read on an older thread that,
> > while measuring the gap, you should push down on the other end of the
> > rocker arm to eliminate slack.WRONG! Just position the cam lobes properly (critical!) then slide the

> gauge in place. The fit should be just snug enough that you can feel a
> touch of drag when you slide it between the cam lobe and follower.
>
> Warning: Some of the valves are placed such that it's VERY easy to mis-
> position the feeler and think the clearance is too tight. Give each one
> a good hard shove (short of bending the feeler) to make certain it
> actually won't go and isn't just twisted.
>
> I like to use two gauges, a "go" and a "no go". Say tolerances are
> .006" to .008". I'd use a .006" as a "go" and a .008" as a "no go". This
> means my final tolerances are necessarily between .006 and .008, and
> thus correct.
>
> BTW, some feeler gauge sets are cheaply made and have a burr around the
> edges. You can feel this burr with your fingernail. If such exists on
> your set, gently file or sand it off.
>
>
>
> > Should I have done this?

>
> > Any other things to adjust to reduce engine clatter?Does this "clatter"happen all the time, or only for the first few

> seconds on startup?
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 07:29 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question

"ExtremeValue" <raheem@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1162428558.352463.4010@m7g2000cwm.googlegroup s.com:

>
> Can somebody please give me a some hint as to why valve adjustment is
> necessary. Thanks a lot. My 1996 civic seems alright at this moment.
> But as the winter sets in, I only notice "tick tick" sound in the
> morning for 1 or 1/2 minutes when the engine is cold. I was wondering
> if this is something to do with valve adjustment. It's got 220K km and
> I don't know its service history. Its been with me for 1 year, from
> 210Kkm. Its runs good, idles good and no unwanted sound coming from
> the engine either.




Valve *adjustment* is not necessarily necessary (sorry). CHECKING *IS*
necessary, as I say in my previous message.

The reason checking is necessary is because it is possible for the
clearances to close up over time.

Should your valve clearances close up, the valves will be pressed
against their seats for a shorter length of time, and will thus suffer
inadequate cooling time. This means an increased probability of
suffering a burned valve, which will leak and cause compression,
emissions and power problems. Burned valves cost mucho dinero, hombre.

The only way to make sure your valves have adequate cooling time is to
check the clearances at regular intervals. The factory specifies 30K
miles. I do it more often than that, just 'cause I like to. YMMV, as the
acronym goes...

*Loose* clearances are not a real problem. A loose valve is a happy
valve. It has lots of time to give up lots of heat. A loose valve is
also a noisy valve though, but that's the driver's problem. The solution
is to turn up the radio.
If it's REALLY noisy, like making a loud clacking noise at all times,
then somebody's made a mistake and needs to go back in and fix it.

As far as your "ticking" sound, it's more likely piston slap or the
power steering pump, not the valves. Valve noise is there all the time,
not just when cold.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 09:36 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question

ExtremeValue wrote:
> Can somebody please give me a some hint as to why valve adjustment is
> necessary.


they need clearance to prevent valve burn. when running at max temp,
the valve stem lengthens and closes up the gap a little. if the gap is
insufficient, the valve never closes properly, hot gas leaks under it
and hot spots develop. these then start to burn causing greater
leakage, which makes the hot spots hotter, etc. remedy requires valve
replacement, or worse, valve seat replacement. either way, it's a huge
pita. avoid the discomfort by checking the valve lash every 30k and
investing $5 in a new rocker cover gasket each time you do it.

> Thanks a lot. My 1996 civic seems alright at this moment.
> But as the winter sets in, I only notice "tick tick" sound in the
> morning for 1 or 1/2 minutes when the engine is cold. I was wondering
> if this is something to do with valve adjustment.


no, it's piston slap. make sure you use a quality branded oil and
change at the specified intervals and it'll not get any worse. hint:
"quality branded" does NOT include motorcraft.

> It's got 220K km and
> I don't know its service history. Its been with me for 1 year, from
> 210Kkm. Its runs good, idles good and no unwanted sound coming from the
> engine either.


you'll get double that mileage if you look after it.

>
>
>
>
>
> On Nov 1, 7:22 pm, "TeGGeR�" <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
>> bug6...@gmail.com wrote in news:1162406136.858171.23130
>> @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> I adjusted the valve clearances on a '95 Civic, 1.6L DOHC non-vtec,
>>> yesterday, with good results. However I read on an older thread that,
>>> while measuring the gap, you should push down on the other end of the
>>> rocker arm to eliminate slack.WRONG! Just position the cam lobes properly (critical!) then slide the

>> gauge in place. The fit should be just snug enough that you can feel a
>> touch of drag when you slide it between the cam lobe and follower.
>>
>> Warning: Some of the valves are placed such that it's VERY easy to mis-
>> position the feeler and think the clearance is too tight. Give each one
>> a good hard shove (short of bending the feeler) to make certain it
>> actually won't go and isn't just twisted.
>>
>> I like to use two gauges, a "go" and a "no go". Say tolerances are
>> .006" to .008". I'd use a .006" as a "go" and a .008" as a "no go". This
>> means my final tolerances are necessarily between .006 and .008, and
>> thus correct.
>>
>> BTW, some feeler gauge sets are cheaply made and have a burr around the
>> edges. You can feel this burr with your fingernail. If such exists on
>> your set, gently file or sand it off.
>>
>>
>>
>>> Should I have done this?
>>> Any other things to adjust to reduce engine clatter?Does this "clatter" happen all the time, or only for the first few

>> seconds on startup?
>>
>> --
>> TeGGeR�
>>
>> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 09:44 pm
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question

In article <1162406136.858171.23130@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>,
bug67ph@gmail.com wrote:

> I adjusted the valve clearances on a '95 Civic, 1.6L DOHC non-vtec,
> yesterday, with good results. However I read on an older thread that,
> while measuring the gap, you should push down on the other end of the
> rocker arm to eliminate slack.
>
> Should I have done this?
>
> Any other things to adjust to reduce engine clatter?


I had to do that on a 97 Civic HX. The oil film between the cam and
rockers made measurements highly inconsistent unless I first pulled up
the rocker to squeeze away some oil. I only had to do this once per
rocker and you shouldn't hold it while measuring.

My car before that required hot adjustment. Thick oil films weren't
much of a problem but you got tiny 1st degree burns on your hands.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 10:03 pm
ExtremeValue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question



On Nov 1, 8:29 pm, "TeGGeR®" <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> "ExtremeValue" <rah...@gmail.com> wrote innews:1162428558.352463.4010@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com:
>
>
>
> > Can somebody please give me a some hint as to why valve adjustment is
> > necessary. Thanks a lot. My 1996 civic seems alright at this moment.
> > But as the winter sets in, I only notice "tick tick" sound in the
> > morning for 1 or 1/2 minutes when the engine is cold. I was wondering
> > if this is something to do with valve adjustment. It's got 220K km and
> > I don't know its service history. Its been with me for 1 year, from
> > 210Kkm. Its runs good, idles good and no unwanted sound coming from
> > the engine either.Valve *adjustment* is not necessarily necessary (sorry). CHECKING *IS*

> necessary, as I say in my previous message.
>
> The reason checking is necessary is because it is possible for the
> clearances to close up over time.
>
> Should your valve clearances close up, the valves will be pressed
> against their seats for a shorter length of time, and will thus suffer
> inadequate cooling time. This means an increased probability of
> suffering a burned valve, which will leak and cause compression,
> emissions and power problems. Burned valves cost mucho dinero, hombre.
>
> The only way to make sure your valves have adequate cooling time is to
> check the clearances at regular intervals. The factory specifies 30K
> miles. I do it more often than that, just 'cause I like to. YMMV, as the
> acronym goes...
>
> *Loose* clearances are not a real problem. A loose valve is a happy
> valve. It has lots of time to give up lots of heat. A loose valve is
> also a noisy valve though, but that's the driver's problem. The solution
> is to turn up the radio.
> If it's REALLY noisy, like making a loud clacking noise at all times,
> then somebody's made a mistake and needs to go back in and fix it.
>
> As far as your "ticking" sound, it's more likely piston slap or the
> power steering pump, not the valves. Valve noise is there all the time,
> not just when cold.
>


TeGGeR®

Hello Boss
I guess what I was trying to ask is that whether I need to check the
valve clearance and I got the answer from your post. I am only 1-year
experienced with my honda.



> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01 Nov 2006, 10:09 pm
ExtremeValue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Valve clearance question



On Nov 1, 10:36 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
> ExtremeValue wrote:
> > Can somebody please give me a some hint as to why valve adjustment is
> > necessary.they need clearance to prevent valve burn. when running at max temp,

> the valve stem lengthens and closes up the gap a little. if the gap is
> insufficient, the valve never closes properly, hot gas leaks under it
> and hot spots develop. these then start to burn causing greater
> leakage, which makes the hot spots hotter, etc. remedy requires valve
> replacement, or worse, valve seat replacement. either way, it's a huge
> pita. avoid the discomfort by checking the valve lash every 30k and
> investing $5 in a new rocker cover gasket each time you do it.
>
> > Thanks a lot. My 1996 civic seems alright at this moment.
> > But as the winter sets in, I only notice "tick tick" sound in the
> > morning for 1 or 1/2 minutes when the engine is cold. I was wondering
> > if this is something to do with valve adjustment.no, it's piston slap. make sure you use a quality branded oil and

> change at the specified intervals and it'll not get any worse. hint:
> "quality branded" does NOT include motorcraft.


Hi

You are probably correct as the sound comes from the engine only in the
morning (very cold here at Waterloo, ON). I change oil at regular
interval from Honda only. Thanks.



>
> > It's got 220K km and
> > I don't know its service history. Its been with me for 1 year, from
> > 210Kkm. Its runs good, idles good and no unwanted sound coming from the
> > engine either.you'll get double that mileage if you look after it.

>

That is very good to know.Yes, I've been taking good care of it


>
>
> > On Nov 1, 7:22 pm, "TeGGeR?" <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> >> bug6...@gmail.com wrote in news:1162406136.858171.23130
> >> @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

>
> >>> I adjusted the valve clearances on a '95 Civic, 1.6L DOHC non-vtec,
> >>> yesterday, with good results. However I read on an older thread that,
> >>> while measuring the gap, you should push down on the other end of the
> >>> rocker arm to eliminate slack.WRONG! Just position the cam lobes properly (critical!) then slide the
> >> gauge in place. The fit should be just snug enough that you can feel a
> >> touch of drag when you slide it between the cam lobe and follower.

>
> >> Warning: Some of the valves are placed such that it's VERY easy to mis-
> >> position the feeler and think the clearance is too tight. Give each one
> >> a good hard shove (short of bending the feeler) to make certain it
> >> actually won't go and isn't just twisted.

>
> >> I like to use two gauges, a "go" and a "no go". Say tolerances are
> >> .006" to .008". I'd use a .006" as a "go" and a .008" as a "no go". This
> >> means my final tolerances are necessarily between .006 and .008, and
> >> thus correct.

>
> >> BTW, some feeler gauge sets are cheaply made and have a burr around the
> >> edges. You can feel this burr with your fingernail. If such exists on
> >> your set, gently file or sand it off.

>
> >>> Should I have done this?
> >>> Any other things to adjust to reduce engine clatter?Does this "clatter" happen all the time, or only for the first few
> >> seconds on startup?

>
> >> --
> >> TeGGeR?

>
> >> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve clearance question bug67ph@gmail.com Honda 3 6 01 Nov 2006 11:23 pm
Valve clearance check and adjustment Fernando Olea Honda 2 3 02 Mar 2005 10:05 pm
Valve clearance lcmon Honda 3 1 24 Jul 2004 09:29 am
89 Accord Valve Clearance David King Honda 3 2 08 May 2004 10:50 am
99 Accord valve clearance Kee Honda 3 1 09 Dec 2003 03:15 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.