Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Oct 2006, 02:07 pm
Steve IA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Civic brake job

Sorry if this is an old question but I googled and couldn't find an answer.
While rotating by tires this past weekend I ogled the front brake pads and
they looked like they could be worn some. The car has 95,000 mostly highway
miles on it and don't believe it's ever had the brake pads replaced. I've
had the car since 34,000.
I've changed brake pads on several US made cars without any trouble and the
Civic's look pretty straight forward. Is this something a normally handy
shadetree mechanic can handle successfully? Any caveats or tips?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
southiowa
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Oct 2006, 03:13 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job

Steve IA wrote:
> Sorry if this is an old question but I googled and couldn't find an answer.
> While rotating by tires this past weekend I ogled the front brake pads and
> they looked like they could be worn some. The car has 95,000 mostly highway
> miles on it and don't believe it's ever had the brake pads replaced. I've
> had the car since 34,000.
> I've changed brake pads on several US made cars without any trouble and the
> Civic's look pretty straight forward. Is this something a normally handy
> shadetree mechanic can handle successfully?


yes. easy as pie.

> Any caveats or tips?


use honda pads. less squeal, fade, dust. use correct bolt torque and
sequence when reattaching the wheels.

> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Steve
> southiowa

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Oct 2006, 07:34 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job

jim beam <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in
news:0YCdnXMwfLj-zbDYnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@speakeasy.net:

> Steve IA wrote:
>> Sorry if this is an old question but I googled and couldn't find an
>> answer. While rotating by tires this past weekend I ogled the front
>> brake pads and they looked like they could be worn some. The car has
>> 95,000 mostly highway miles on it and don't believe it's ever had the
>> brake pads replaced. I've had the car since 34,000.
>> I've changed brake pads on several US made cars without any trouble
>> and the Civic's look pretty straight forward. Is this something a
>> normally handy shadetree mechanic can handle successfully?

>
> yes. easy as pie.
>
>> Any caveats or tips?

>
> use honda pads. less squeal, fade, dust. use correct bolt torque and
> sequence when reattaching the wheels.
>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Steve
>> southiowa

>


However;
Doing the rear brakes(drums) is a bit more difficult.The drums may need to
be turned,and there's a lip created on the inside edge of the drum that can
make drum removal difficult,and should be removed upon reinstallation.

I agree with JB that the fronts are easy.

Don't forget the anti-squeal compound between the new pads and backing
plate.
The new pads may come with a packet of it,and you can also buy it at most
auto stores,too.
The caliper slide pins should also be relubed with hi-temp grease at the
same time.(don't get any on the rotor or the pads surface.)


--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Oct 2006, 09:47 pm
ExtremeValue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job

Hello experts:

I take this opportunity to post my problem with brakes. I bought this
1996 civic with 209Kkm. At that time they changed the read brake pads
(they most probably put after market cheap pads).

Since then the left rear brake always creates dragging noise wheneven I
step on brake. On light braking the noise is audible but not when hard
pressed. I should here mention that I drove with the parking brake ON
some 18-20 km on the first day I bought this vehicle. But I can't
remember if this noise is after or before driving with parking brake
ON.

I took this vehicle to a mechanic and he inspected and found nothing
wrong but only draggin at one point on the left rear wheel. He told me
that because the pads are new its causing noise. But the noise is still
there even after 8 months (now it is 220Kkm) of driving.

When I brake slowly to stop on a red light, I feel that the pads are
touching hard on a particular point of the rotor (soft otherwise) and
hence the stopping is somewhat stop-n-go type. When I step on brak on
highways I feel the vibration (up and down) on the brak pedal. The
feeling is something like pressing the pads on an uneven rotor. I am
not a native English speaker so its hard to explain it.

I was thinking of taking it to a honda dealer to have a look at it and
have the problem fixed with possibly a new set of pads. Any suggestions
about what the dealer might suggest to replace?

Thanks in advance.




Steve IA wrote:
> Sorry if this is an old question but I googled and couldn't find an answer.
> While rotating by tires this past weekend I ogled the front brake pads and
> they looked like they could be worn some. The car has 95,000 mostly highway
> miles on it and don't believe it's ever had the brake pads replaced. I've
> had the car since 34,000.
> I've changed brake pads on several US made cars without any trouble and the
> Civic's look pretty straight forward. Is this something a normally handy
> shadetree mechanic can handle successfully? Any caveats or tips?
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Steve
> southiowa


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Oct 2006, 01:38 am
Joe LaVigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job

On 11 Oct 2006 19:47:17 -0700, ExtremeValue wrote:

> Hello experts:
>
> I take this opportunity to post my problem with brakes. I bought this
> 1996 civic with 209Kkm. At that time they changed the read brake pads
> (they most probably put after market cheap pads).
>
> Since then the left rear brake always creates dragging noise wheneven I
> step on brake. On light braking the noise is audible but not when hard
> pressed. I should here mention that I drove with the parking brake ON
> some 18-20 km on the first day I bought this vehicle. But I can't
> remember if this noise is after or before driving with parking brake
> ON.
>
> I took this vehicle to a mechanic and he inspected and found nothing
> wrong but only draggin at one point on the left rear wheel. He told me
> that because the pads are new its causing noise. But the noise is still
> there even after 8 months (now it is 220Kkm) of driving.
>
> When I brake slowly to stop on a red light, I feel that the pads are
> touching hard on a particular point of the rotor (soft otherwise) and
> hence the stopping is somewhat stop-n-go type. When I step on brak on
> highways I feel the vibration (up and down) on the brak pedal. The
> feeling is something like pressing the pads on an uneven rotor. I am
> not a native English speaker so its hard to explain it.
>
> I was thinking of taking it to a honda dealer to have a look at it and
> have the problem fixed with possibly a new set of pads. Any suggestions
> about what the dealer might suggest to replace?
>
> Thanks in advance.


Pads, rotors and drums.

If you are hearing metal scraping, just get them replaced.

Only question I have is why you drove with the parking brake on?

--
Joseph M. LaVigne
jlavigne@hits-buffalo.com
http://www.thelavignefamily.us/MyPipePages/ - 10/12/2006 2:37:35 AM
Tobacconist Brick and Mortar Database: http://bam.tobaccocellar.org/

If you're being chased by an angry bull, and then you notice you're also
being chased by a swarm of bees, it doesn't really change things. Just keep
on running.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Oct 2006, 10:20 am
ExtremeValue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job

>
> > Thanks in advance.Pads, rotors and drums.

>
> If you are hearing metal scraping, just get them replaced.
>
> Only question I have is why you drove with the parking brake on?


Hi,
This was my first car and I was driving it home from the shop. I forgot
the parking brake and did not see the red light on the dash probably
because of excitement. Later when I came home and tried to pull the
brake, I found that it was already ON. Ops!

Could the brake problem be due to that? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Oct 2006, 01:34 am
Joe LaVigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job

On 12 Oct 2006 08:20:43 -0700, ExtremeValue wrote:

>>
>>> Thanks in advance.Pads, rotors and drums.

>>
>> If you are hearing metal scraping, just get them replaced.
>>
>> Only question I have is why you drove with the parking brake on?

>
> Hi,
> This was my first car and I was driving it home from the shop. I forgot
> the parking brake and did not see the red light on the dash probably
> because of excitement. Later when I came home and tried to pull the
> brake, I found that it was already ON. Ops!
>
> Could the brake problem be due to that? Thanks in advance.


How far was it on? If it was just enough to turn on the light, probably
not, but if it provided resistance while you were driving, then it
certainly could cause problems.

But, the biggest problems it would cause (considering that it is working OK
otherwise now) would be worm drums and shoes in the rear.

When the drums wear down, there is a ridge formed inside. If the channel
is deep enough, the metal from the shoes may be contacting the drums,
causing your noise. Replace the drums, and the shoes. Use OEM. It won't
be too terribly expensive...

--
Joseph M. LaVigne
jlavigne@hits-buffalo.com
http://www.thelavignefamily.us/MyPipePages/ - 10/13/2006 2:32:21 AM
Tobacconist Brick and Mortar Database: http://bam.tobaccocellar.org/

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in
his mouth. -- Anonymous
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13 Oct 2006, 09:46 am
ExtremeValue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job


Joe LaVigne wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2006 08:20:43 -0700, ExtremeValue wrote:
>
> >>
> >>> Thanks in advance.Pads, rotors and drums.
> >>
> >> If you are hearing metal scraping, just get them replaced.
> >>
> >> Only question I have is why you drove with the parking brake on?

> >
> > Hi,
> > This was my first car and I was driving it home from the shop. I forgot
> > the parking brake and did not see the red light on the dash probably
> > because of excitement. Later when I came home and tried to pull the
> > brake, I found that it was already ON. Ops!
> >
> > Could the brake problem be due to that? Thanks in advance.

>
> How far was it on? If it was just enough to turn on the light, probably
> not, but if it provided resistance while you were driving, then it
> certainly could cause problems.
>


It was for about 15km in a city driving and yes, I was feeling the
resistance when ease off the gas pedal.

By the way, I took the car to Midas (as they inspect brakes for free)
yesterday. They removed all the wheels and showed me everything, rotor,
drums and etc. They guy said that he found no reason to change the pads
(only 8 months old) or the drums. There were no unwanted scratches or
ridges either on drums or wheels. Misteriously when I drove out of
Midas there was no noise at all. BUT after a while (1 hour or so) the
same old noise came again.

I suspect that the pads are not of good quality and has some low
quality metals in it that is causing the noise. Since the pads are not
worn at all and the drums are good, I wish I will change them next
year. There has been no problem in braking time or quality, though.

Thanks for your reply to me. It really helps for newbie people here.




> But, the biggest problems it would cause (considering that it is working OK
> otherwise now) would be worm drums and shoes in the rear.
>
> When the drums wear down, there is a ridge formed inside. If the channel
> is deep enough, the metal from the shoes may be contacting the drums,
> causing your noise. Replace the drums, and the shoes. Use OEM. It won't
> be too terribly expensive...
>
> --
> Joseph M. LaVigne
> jlavigne@hits-buffalo.com
> http://www.thelavignefamily.us/MyPipePages/ - 10/13/2006 2:32:21 AM
> Tobacconist Brick and Mortar Database: http://bam.tobaccocellar.org/
>
> A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in
> his mouth. -- Anonymous


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2006, 06:24 am
Don in San Antonio
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job

ExtremeValue wrote:
> Hello experts:
>
> I take this opportunity to post my problem with brakes. I bought this
> 1996 civic with 209Kkm. At that time they changed the read brake pads
> (they most probably put after market cheap pads).
>
> Since then the left rear brake always creates dragging noise wheneven I
> step on brake. On light braking the noise is audible but not when hard
> pressed. I should here mention that I drove with the parking brake ON
> some 18-20 km on the first day I bought this vehicle. But I can't
> remember if this noise is after or before driving with parking brake
> ON.
>
> I took this vehicle to a mechanic and he inspected and found nothing
> wrong but only draggin at one point on the left rear wheel. He told me
> that because the pads are new its causing noise. But the noise is still
> there even after 8 months (now it is 220Kkm) of driving.
>
> When I brake slowly to stop on a red light, I feel that the pads are
> touching hard on a particular point of the rotor (soft otherwise) and
> hence the stopping is somewhat stop-n-go type. When I step on brak on
> highways I feel the vibration (up and down) on the brak pedal. The
> feeling is something like pressing the pads on an uneven rotor. I am
> not a native English speaker so its hard to explain it.
>

The brake pedal pulsing or vibration is probably caused by a warped
front rotor or rear brake drum. Overheating a brake drum can cause it
to warp, that is get out of round. This overheating might have occurred
when you drove with the parking brake on.

> I was thinking of taking it to a honda dealer to have a look at it and
> have the problem fixed with possibly a new set of pads. Any suggestions
> about what the dealer might suggest to replace?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
>
>
> Steve IA wrote:
>> Sorry if this is an old question but I googled and couldn't find an answer.
>> While rotating by tires this past weekend I ogled the front brake pads and
>> they looked like they could be worn some. The car has 95,000 mostly highway
>> miles on it and don't believe it's ever had the brake pads replaced. I've
>> had the car since 34,000.
>> I've changed brake pads on several US made cars without any trouble and the
>> Civic's look pretty straight forward. Is this something a normally handy
>> shadetree mechanic can handle successfully? Any caveats or tips?
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> Steve
>> southiowa

>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15 Oct 2006, 08:11 am
Sees-koo-wee-hah-nay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic brake job


ExtremeValue wrote:
> Joe LaVigne wrote:
> > On 12 Oct 2006 08:20:43 -0700, ExtremeValue wrote:
> >
> > >>
> > >>> Thanks in advance.Pads, rotors and drums.
> > >>
> > >> If you are hearing metal scraping, just get them replaced.
> > >>
> > >> Only question I have is why you drove with the parking brake on?
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > This was my first car and I was driving it home from the shop. I forgot
> > > the parking brake and did not see the red light on the dash probably
> > > because of excitement. Later when I came home and tried to pull the
> > > brake, I found that it was already ON. Ops!
> > >
> > > Could the brake problem be due to that? Thanks in advance.

> >
> > How far was it on? If it was just enough to turn on the light, probably
> > not, but if it provided resistance while you were driving, then it
> > certainly could cause problems.
> >

>
> It was for about 15km in a city driving and yes, I was feeling the
> resistance when ease off the gas pedal.
>
> By the way, I took the car to Midas (as they inspect brakes for free)
> yesterday. They removed all the wheels and showed me everything, rotor,
> drums and etc. They guy said that he found no reason to change the pads
> (only 8 months old) or the drums. There were no unwanted scratches or
> ridges either on drums or wheels. Misteriously when I drove out of
> Midas there was no noise at all. BUT after a while (1 hour or so) the
> same old noise came again.


Misteriously you drove out of Midas with your wallet intact!

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EG Civic Brake Master MikeLikes Honda 3 8 11 Jan 2007 06:32 am
Civic Brake Prob duckbill Honda 2 12 03 Jul 2006 04:15 pm
brake service 98 isuzu rodeo 2WD. Do I have to re-surface the rotor for replacing the brake pad. wingbay Honda 2 3 20 Jun 2005 07:45 am
Soft brake persists after Brake Fluid Flush. subhamoy@gmail.com Honda 3 12 17 Jun 2005 08:29 pm
Civic 2002 Brake Pop Brad Honda 3 4 01 Oct 2003 02:22 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.