Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 09:03 am
Glenn Woodell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Element cutting off

I'm a new Element owner so I tried to find posts about the engine
error codes but I could not find anything. I found one that was
applicable to other Hondas.

Last night, when starting, I noticed the engine maintenence light
came on and blinked then went off. About three blocks away as I slowed
to make a turn, the engine cut off. It will start and drive but only
if you put your foot on the gas pedal. It seems that it idles so low
now that it just cuts of.

I checked the connection to the throttle position sensor and it was
fine. This morning it started and ran fine. I went to my local auto
parts store and they put a code reader on it but it showed nothing. It
acted up again as I was leaving. It will drive fine as long as I keep
my foot ready to step the idle up when needed. For the most part is is
fine but it starts up again unexpectedly.

A couple of people have mentioned checking the idle air sensor. How
many more sensors could there be.

How do I get my error codes and where can I decipher them. Do I need
to go to a Honda service center?

Glenn
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 09:40 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Element cutting off

"Glenn Woodell" <letsrig@!!cox!!.net> wrote in message
news:i21ii25omtvtsnoei7di38u7a53lnmqg5m@4ax.com...
> I'm a new Element owner so I tried to find posts about the engine
> error codes but I could not find anything. I found one that was
> applicable to other Hondas.
>
> Last night, when starting, I noticed the engine maintenence light
> came on and blinked then went off. About three blocks away as I slowed
> to make a turn, the engine cut off. It will start and drive but only
> if you put your foot on the gas pedal. It seems that it idles so low
> now that it just cuts of.
>
> I checked the connection to the throttle position sensor and it was
> fine. This morning it started and ran fine. I went to my local auto
> parts store and they put a code reader on it but it showed nothing. It
> acted up again as I was leaving. It will drive fine as long as I keep
> my foot ready to step the idle up when needed. For the most part is is
> fine but it starts up again unexpectedly.
>
> A couple of people have mentioned checking the idle air sensor. How
> many more sensors could there be.
>
> How do I get my error codes and where can I decipher them. Do I need
> to go to a Honda service center?
>
> Glenn


To clarify, is the light that came on and blinked then went off the
"maintenence required" light or the "check engine" light. The meanings are
very different.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 09:49 am
Glenn Woodell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Element cutting off

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 07:40:21 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
<michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote:

>"Glenn Woodell" <letsrig@!!cox!!.net> wrote in message
>news:i21ii25omtvtsnoei7di38u7a53lnmqg5m@4ax.com.. .
>> I'm a new Element owner so I tried to find posts about the engine
>> error codes but I could not find anything. I found one that was
>> applicable to other Hondas.
>>
>> Last night, when starting, I noticed the engine maintenence light
>> came on and blinked then went off. About three blocks away as I slowed
>> to make a turn, the engine cut off. It will start and drive but only
>> if you put your foot on the gas pedal. It seems that it idles so low
>> now that it just cuts of.
>>
>> I checked the connection to the throttle position sensor and it was
>> fine. This morning it started and ran fine. I went to my local auto
>> parts store and they put a code reader on it but it showed nothing. It
>> acted up again as I was leaving. It will drive fine as long as I keep
>> my foot ready to step the idle up when needed. For the most part is is
>> fine but it starts up again unexpectedly.
>>
>> A couple of people have mentioned checking the idle air sensor. How
>> many more sensors could there be.
>>
>> How do I get my error codes and where can I decipher them. Do I need
>> to go to a Honda service center?
>>
>> Glenn

>
>To clarify, is the light that came on and blinked then went off the
>"maintenence required" light or the "check engine" light. The meanings are
>very different.
>
>Mike
>


It was the maintenence required light.

Glenn
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 10:21 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Element cutting off

"Glenn Woodell" <letsrig@!!cox!!.net> wrote in message
news:it3ii2lmv6m784mamsltnt9ae3vs5sfodk@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 07:40:21 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
> <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote:
>
>>"Glenn Woodell" <letsrig@!!cox!!.net> wrote in message
>>news:i21ii25omtvtsnoei7di38u7a53lnmqg5m@4ax.com. ..
>>> I'm a new Element owner so I tried to find posts about the engine
>>> error codes but I could not find anything. I found one that was
>>> applicable to other Hondas.
>>>
>>> Last night, when starting, I noticed the engine maintenence light
>>> came on and blinked then went off. About three blocks away as I slowed
>>> to make a turn, the engine cut off. It will start and drive but only
>>> if you put your foot on the gas pedal. It seems that it idles so low
>>> now that it just cuts of.
>>>
>>> I checked the connection to the throttle position sensor and it was
>>> fine. This morning it started and ran fine. I went to my local auto
>>> parts store and they put a code reader on it but it showed nothing. It
>>> acted up again as I was leaving. It will drive fine as long as I keep
>>> my foot ready to step the idle up when needed. For the most part is is
>>> fine but it starts up again unexpectedly.
>>>
>>> A couple of people have mentioned checking the idle air sensor. How
>>> many more sensors could there be.
>>>
>>> How do I get my error codes and where can I decipher them. Do I need
>>> to go to a Honda service center?
>>>
>>> Glenn

>>
>>To clarify, is the light that came on and blinked then went off the
>>"maintenence required" light or the "check engine" light. The meanings are
>>very different.
>>
>>Mike
>>

>
> It was the maintenence required light.
>
> Glenn


That's a great clue. There aren't likely to be any stored codes, since that
would be indicated by the "check engine" light.

Instead, my attention turns to the electrical system, especially system-wide
things like the charging system, battery or battery connections and the
engine ground. Others may have Element-specific ideas. Anyway, I suspect
what is happening is that the power to the ECU is not stable. The easiest to
check if you have a voltmeter is the charging system and battery in
combination. A voltage check across the battery with the engine running
should show about 14 volts (higher when the underhood temperature is cold,
lower when it is hot. It must not be above about 16 volts (17 volts is a
typical overcharging reading) and should not be below 13.5 volts. Assuming
you are measuring with a digital meter, the AC voltage across the battery
with the engine running should be less than 0.1 volts AC. A reading of half
a volt or more AC points to an alternator or battery problem; typically I've
seen AC voltages around 1.5 volts for bad batteries and bad alternators
alike. I've never seen a reading between 0.1 (good) and 0.5 (bad), so there
isn't much room for doubt. With the engine off, the battery voltage should
be a little above 12 volts DC, no AC.

The other electrical defect that can cause a bunch of weird electrical
problems is a bad ground between the engine and the chassis. A visual
inspection and wiggling of the ends to be sure they are tight usually is
good enough, but it's even easier to use a voltmeter to look for AC and DC
voltage between the engine block (or manifolds or whatever bare metal is
handy) and the body. There should be under 0.3 volts DC and under 0.1 volts
AC. Again, there is a big difference between good and bad.

If you don't have a voltmeter, this is a good time to buy one. Adequate ones
are available for less than $10 US if you look around.

My SWAG: the battery or engine ground are more likely than the alternator.
Alternators usually don't get better if they are putting out AC (trash).

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 11:27 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Element cutting off

Michael Pardee wrote:


> >>Mike
> >>

> >
> > It was the maintenence required light.
> >
> > Glenn

>
> That's a great clue. There aren't likely to be any stored codes, since that
> would be indicated by the "check engine" light.
>
> Instead, my attention turns to the electrical system, especially system-wide
> things like the charging system, battery or battery connections and the
> engine ground. Others may have Element-specific ideas. Anyway, I suspect
> what is happening is that the power to the ECU is not stable. The easiest to
> check if you have a voltmeter is the charging system and battery in
> combination. A voltage check across the battery with the engine running
> should show about 14 volts (higher when the underhood temperature is cold,
> lower when it is hot. It must not be above about 16 volts (17 volts is a
> typical overcharging reading) and should not be below 13.5 volts. Assuming
> you are measuring with a digital meter, the AC voltage across the battery
> with the engine running should be less than 0.1 volts AC. A reading of half
> a volt or more AC points to an alternator or battery problem; typically I've
> seen AC voltages around 1.5 volts for bad batteries and bad alternators
> alike. I've never seen a reading between 0.1 (good) and 0.5 (bad), so there
> isn't much room for doubt. With the engine off, the battery voltage should
> be a little above 12 volts DC, no AC.
>
> The other electrical defect that can cause a bunch of weird electrical
> problems is a bad ground between the engine and the chassis. A visual
> inspection and wiggling of the ends to be sure they are tight usually is
> good enough, but it's even easier to use a voltmeter to look for AC and DC
> voltage between the engine block (or manifolds or whatever bare metal is
> handy) and the body. There should be under 0.3 volts DC and under 0.1 volts
> AC. Again, there is a big difference between good and bad.
>
> If you don't have a voltmeter, this is a good time to buy one. Adequate ones
> are available for less than $10 US if you look around.
>
> My SWAG: the battery or engine ground are more likely than the alternator.
> Alternators usually don't get better if they are putting out AC (trash).
>
> Mike


-------------------------------------

The thing is brand new. Take it back to the dealer. Start poking around
and you'll wind up with an unhappy dealer. :-(

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 04:25 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Element cutting off

"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:452926FE.D7FB8251@interbaun.com...

> The thing is brand new. Take it back to the dealer. Start poking around
> and you'll wind up with an unhappy dealer. :-(
>
> 'Curly'


D'oh! I missed that in the original post. Righteo.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 04:29 pm
Glenn Woodell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Element cutting off

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:25:48 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
<michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote:

>"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in message
>news:452926FE.D7FB8251@interbaun.com...
>
>> The thing is brand new. Take it back to the dealer. Start poking around
>> and you'll wind up with an unhappy dealer. :-(
>>
>> 'Curly'

>
>D'oh! I missed that in the original post. Righteo.
>
>Mike
>


It's new to me but it's an '03 from a private seller. I'll take my
meter to it and see what I get.

Thanks,

Glenn
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12 Oct 2006, 02:23 pm
garray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Element cutting off

You might try digging around on the Element Owners Club forums as well.
Lots of good info over there that may be helpful. Good luck.


Glenn Woodell wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:25:48 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
> <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote:
>
> >"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in message
> >news:452926FE.D7FB8251@interbaun.com...
> >
> >> The thing is brand new. Take it back to the dealer. Start poking around
> >> and you'll wind up with an unhappy dealer. :-(
> >>
> >> 'Curly'

> >
> >D'oh! I missed that in the original post. Righteo.
> >
> >Mike
> >

>
> It's new to me but it's an '03 from a private seller. I'll take my
> meter to it and see what I get.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glenn


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Element cutting off Glenn Woodell Honda 3 3 24 Nov 2006 12:24 am
subs cutting out tigerpride63 Honda 2 0 13 Apr 2006 07:16 pm
92 prelude A/C compressor cutting off mark Honda 2 2 10 Jul 2004 11:30 pm
90 Accord cutting out Frink Honda 2 4 08 Jul 2003 12:57 pm
90 Accord cutting out Frink Honda 3 4 08 Jul 2003 12:57 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.