Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2006, 03:11 pm
highkm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS

I have a 2006 Pilot. I loaded the back with about 300Lb of junk and
drove with it for a week. The back springs got compressed and do not
want to come back to the hight of the front of the vehicle. The car
looks shit. I am surprised that the rear springs are that weak. Honda
claims that the same thing would happen with a Ridgeline. I guess
that's why they can't compete with North American trucks. The Honda
service said that the front springs will collapse after a period of
time (because it's normal), so the car will look level.

Has anyone had this type of experience with their SUV?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2006, 04:16 pm
tww
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS


"highkm" <ic3po@mac.com> wrote in message
news:1160165503.842098.70110@i42g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> I have a 2006 Pilot. I loaded the back with about 300Lb of junk and
> drove with it for a week. The back springs got compressed and do not
> want to come back to the hight of the front of the vehicle. The car
> looks shit. I am surprised that the rear springs are that weak. Honda
> claims that the same thing would happen with a Ridgeline. I guess
> that's why they can't compete with North American trucks. The Honda
> service said that the front springs will collapse after a period of
> time (because it's normal), so the car will look level.
>
> Has anyone had this type of experience with their SUV?
>


We have loaded our 03 up many times before -- 300 lbs is akin to a couple of
people sitting in the 3 rd seat. No problems. Sure you did not have
something more like 1/2 a ton back there -- or more.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06 Oct 2006, 11:15 pm
lespritdeken@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS


highkm wrote:
> I have a 2006 Pilot. I loaded the back with about 300Lb of junk and
> drove with it for a week. The back springs got compressed and do not
> want to come back to the hight of the front of the vehicle. The car
> looks shit. I am surprised that the rear springs are that weak. Honda
> claims that the same thing would happen with a Ridgeline. I guess
> that's why they can't compete with North American trucks. The Honda
> service said that the front springs will collapse after a period of
> time (because it's normal), so the car will look level.
>
> Has anyone had this type of experience with their SUV?


wow, know I know what car I'm NOT going to use for moving...

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2006, 09:01 pm
highkm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS

Yes, with additional passengers the weight did probably exceed 500LB,
but it should be able to handle it. I've put more weight in a 2003
Accord. I am planning to somehow load 300-500LB on the front, to crush
the front springs. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

tww wrote:
> "highkm" <ic3po@mac.com> wrote in message
> news:1160165503.842098.70110@i42g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> > I have a 2006 Pilot. I loaded the back with about 300Lb of junk and
> > drove with it for a week. The back springs got compressed and do not
> > want to come back to the hight of the front of the vehicle. The car
> > looks shit. I am surprised that the rear springs are that weak. Honda
> > claims that the same thing would happen with a Ridgeline. I guess
> > that's why they can't compete with North American trucks. The Honda
> > service said that the front springs will collapse after a period of
> > time (because it's normal), so the car will look level.
> >
> > Has anyone had this type of experience with their SUV?
> >

>
> We have loaded our 03 up many times before -- 300 lbs is akin to a couple of
> people sitting in the 3 rd seat. No problems. Sure you did not have
> something more like 1/2 a ton back there -- or more.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2006, 09:52 am
ShawnD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS


We have used our '03 Pilot several times for trips to either Lowes or
that other local store to purchase landscaping/home improvement
materials. On 2 occasions I have loaded up around 900lbs of materials
plus the 300lbs from me and my wife and have no problem with the
springs. Now I have driven straight home which is about a 10 minute
drive and have unloaded the material right away. Also I don't know if
there is a difference between the '03 and the '06 spring system.

We love the Pilot and would highly reccomend it.

Shawn

highkm wrote:
> Yes, with additional passengers the weight did probably exceed 500LB,
> but it should be able to handle it. I've put more weight in a 2003
> Accord. I am planning to somehow load 300-500LB on the front, to crush
> the front springs. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
>
> tww wrote:
> > "highkm" <ic3po@mac.com> wrote in message
> > news:1160165503.842098.70110@i42g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> > > I have a 2006 Pilot. I loaded the back with about 300Lb of junk and
> > > drove with it for a week. The back springs got compressed and do not
> > > want to come back to the hight of the front of the vehicle. The car
> > > looks shit. I am surprised that the rear springs are that weak. Honda
> > > claims that the same thing would happen with a Ridgeline. I guess
> > > that's why they can't compete with North American trucks. The Honda
> > > service said that the front springs will collapse after a period of
> > > time (because it's normal), so the car will look level.
> > >
> > > Has anyone had this type of experience with their SUV?
> > >

> >
> > We have loaded our 03 up many times before -- 300 lbs is akin to a couple of
> > people sitting in the 3 rd seat. No problems. Sure you did not have
> > something more like 1/2 a ton back there -- or more.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2006, 03:35 pm
Robert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS

Wow I have never had any problems with my 2004...I've driven a 200-mile
trip with about a 2500 lb. trailer, probably close to 500 lbs. of
equipment in the back, and five people...it barely strained the engine
and my height looks perfectly normal. Perhaps you have some sort of a
defect in the rear?

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Oct 2006, 07:27 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS

On 9 Oct 2006 13:35:11 -0700, "Robert" <kraft.fhs@gmail.com> wrote:

>Wow I have never had any problems with my 2004...I've driven a 200-mile
>trip with about a 2500 lb. trailer, probably close to 500 lbs. of
>equipment in the back, and five people...it barely strained the engine
>and my height looks perfectly normal. Perhaps you have some sort of a
>defect in the rear?


Sounds like a broken spring. Is the ride height level left to right?
Certainly 300 pounds wouldn't cause this problem even if you left it
in there forever.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Oct 2006, 02:46 pm
highkm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS

I had it checked out at the dealership. They inspected it and did not
find any broken springs. They did ask about the load that I put on it.
They called Honda Canada. I was informed that in reality all Pilots
will eventually drop in height under its own weight. What I've done has
accelerated the rear rate of collapse. The front should crush the
springs under its own weight eventually. The front end is the heavier
part of the vehicle so it'll eventually end up being lower than the
rear, provided that I never load the rear again ofcourse. Honda canada
did file my concern, because when the warranty nears an end, and if the
car is not level, I'll be knocking on their door again. I believe that
this vehicle got a little weaker springs in the rear than most of other
Pilots. It is probably due to the inconsistency of the spring
manufacturer/supplier etc. - bad material - poor quality control, Honda
is not imune to things like that sometimes. Maybe in the future they
should take some pointers from GM and raise the back a bit like Yukon.

Dan.
Gordon McGrew wrote:
> On 9 Oct 2006 13:35:11 -0700, "Robert" <kraft.fhs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Wow I have never had any problems with my 2004...I've driven a 200-mile
> >trip with about a 2500 lb. trailer, probably close to 500 lbs. of
> >equipment in the back, and five people...it barely strained the engine
> >and my height looks perfectly normal. Perhaps you have some sort of a
> >defect in the rear?

>
> Sounds like a broken spring. Is the ride height level left to right?
> Certainly 300 pounds wouldn't cause this problem even if you left it
> in there forever.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11 Oct 2006, 02:17 pm
Robert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS

Perhaps this is a Canadian thing? Like I said in my previous post, I
have put much more weight on my 2004 Pilot, and it is still perfectly
normal. I went and measured my height from the B-pillar and compared it
with my neighbor's one-week-old 2006...they are both within 1/8 of an
inch of each other...

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11 Oct 2006, 06:23 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 PILOT HAS WEAK REAR SPRINGS

On 10 Oct 2006 12:46:13 -0700, "highkm" <ic3po@mac.com> wrote:

>I had it checked out at the dealership. They inspected it and did not
>find any broken springs.


They need to check it again. Or you may want to take it to another
dealer or an independent mechanic. They need to look carefully at the
top of the coil.

> They did ask about the load that I put on it.
>They called Honda Canada. I was informed that in reality all Pilots
>will eventually drop in height under its own weight.


This is true of all cars. However, the drop in height is slight and
occurs over a long period.

> What I've done has
>accelerated the rear rate of collapse. The front should crush the
>springs under its own weight eventually.


If the drop is so great as to be noticeable, then it is not right.
Either there was a lot more weight than you think or something was
drastically defective.

>The front end is the heavier
>part of the vehicle so it'll eventually end up being lower than the
>rear, provided that I never load the rear again ofcourse.


Well, that is BS. If this was a design problem, then we would be
seeing all kinds of reports and we haven't. If it is a sample defect,
then it needs to be fixed under warranty. "Never load the rear again"
is not a satisfactory fix.

> Honda canada
>did file my concern, because when the warranty nears an end, and if the
>car is not level, I'll be knocking on their door again. I believe that
>this vehicle got a little weaker springs in the rear than most of other
>Pilots. It is probably due to the inconsistency of the spring
>manufacturer/supplier etc. - bad material - poor quality control, Honda
>is not imune to things like that sometimes.


If this is true then they should fix it under warranty.

>Maybe in the future they
>should take some pointers from GM and raise the back a bit like Yukon.


LOL. The last think Honda needs to do is take pointers from GM.





>Gordon McGrew wrote:
>> On 9 Oct 2006 13:35:11 -0700, "Robert" <kraft.fhs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Wow I have never had any problems with my 2004...I've driven a 200-mile
>> >trip with about a 2500 lb. trailer, probably close to 500 lbs. of
>> >equipment in the back, and five people...it barely strained the engine
>> >and my height looks perfectly normal. Perhaps you have some sort of a
>> >defect in the rear?

>>
>> Sounds like a broken spring. Is the ride height level left to right?
>> Certainly 300 pounds wouldn't cause this problem even if you left it
>> in there forever.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 Honda Pilot LX iPod Help shoaibj@gmail.com Honda 2 3 26 Sep 2006 08:11 pm
Honda Pilot 2006 Problem Honda Honda 2 18 22 Aug 2006 08:06 pm
2006 Pilot & Rebates Capt Nemo Honda 2 1 17 May 2006 07:36 am
2006 Honda Pilot TJ Honda 2 3 19 Nov 2005 08:30 am
Info on 2006 Honda Pilot??? DS Honda 2 2 23 Jun 2005 09:23 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.