Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26 Sep 2006, 10:56 am
highkm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2003 Accort Radio Backlight

Hey.

Recently, I had a backlight on a 2004 Accord go out. Delaer states the
repair is just over $300 CDN. I called up panasonic and they state that
the repair is $65CDN provided that I bring the radio to their service
shop myself. In order to take out the radio one has to pop off the lid
or the ventilation enclosure that sits atop of the radio. Has anyone
done this before? Do you have to take out the 4-way flasher switch
first or if the switch does not interfere with the lid?

Thanks a bunch.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26 Sep 2006, 02:34 pm
bobzee1@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accort Radio Backlight


highkm wrote:
> Hey.
>
> Recently, I had a backlight on a 2004 Accord go out. Delaer states the
> repair is just over $300 CDN. I called up panasonic and they state that
> the repair is $65CDN provided that I bring the radio to their service
> shop myself. In order to take out the radio one has to pop off the lid
> or the ventilation enclosure that sits atop of the radio. Has anyone
> done this before? Do you have to take out the 4-way flasher switch
> first or if the switch does not interfere with the lid?
>
> Thanks a bunch.



do a google video search for "accord ipod" (sans quotes) - this will
give you an idea about how to start. the following is instructions for
a manual 2004 accord:
push down boot below shifter handle
unscrew shifter handle
lift trim ring (with switches if equipped with seat heaters) enough to
unplug seat heaters
lift trim ring and boot assy over shifter
remove ashtray or 'non-ashtray'
two screws will be visible below ashtray -remove
lift ashtray assy with cigarrette lighter/power outlet -unplug power
from outlet
below cubby hole, find two screws - remove
make sure cubby hole is closed
stick a hook behind cubby hole door at the top center. while pulling
at the top, pull at the bottom. cubby will come out
behind cubby at the back (forward direction in car) and sides is two
black plastic pieces. pull the forward most portion towards you
(towards the back of car). these are a little tricky.
there are 3 clips that need to be depressed (luckily not all at the
same time) in the top ventilation panel. the center clip is below the
emergency flasher switch - you do not need to remove the switch, just
depress it and push the screwdriver straight down towards the ground in
front of the switch (front would be rear of car side of switch - the
face you would touch with your finger)
the other two clips are on either side - push the flat blade
screwdriver in towards the drivers side door or pass door (depending on
which side you are doing) in the lowermost grille opening in the air
outlets. if you look for these clip slots first, you will be able to
see them
this top ventilation panel will now be pulled towards you (towards the
rear of the vehicle)
the stereo has 2 hex head screws that come in from the bottom. these
screws also have a phillips screwdriver slot. these are accessible
from where the cubby hole was. you will need a flashlight and a mirror
depending on how flexible you are.
if memory serves me correctly, there will be two more screws at the
very top of the stereo. none of the screws that require removing are
hidden. please look for screws that i may have missed. i can't
possibly be expected to remember everything.
:~)>
now, the stereo should pull straight out, but not too far. you have to
disconnect the wire harnesses.
the stereo is fastened to this face plate by a few screws. once these
are removed, the stereo is free to roam about the country...

good luck and as with all advice found on them dang internetz, use with
a grain a salt!!!

bob z.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2006, 10:14 am
highkm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accort Radio Backlight

Hey thanks a lot. I'll make this my weekend project.

bobzee1@gmail.com wrote:
> highkm wrote:
> > Hey.
> >
> > Recently, I had a backlight on a 2004 Accord go out. Delaer states the
> > repair is just over $300 CDN. I called up panasonic and they state that
> > the repair is $65CDN provided that I bring the radio to their service
> > shop myself. In order to take out the radio one has to pop off the lid
> > or the ventilation enclosure that sits atop of the radio. Has anyone
> > done this before? Do you have to take out the 4-way flasher switch
> > first or if the switch does not interfere with the lid?
> >
> > Thanks a bunch.

>
>
> do a google video search for "accord ipod" (sans quotes) - this will
> give you an idea about how to start. the following is instructions for
> a manual 2004 accord:
> push down boot below shifter handle
> unscrew shifter handle
> lift trim ring (with switches if equipped with seat heaters) enough to
> unplug seat heaters
> lift trim ring and boot assy over shifter
> remove ashtray or 'non-ashtray'
> two screws will be visible below ashtray -remove
> lift ashtray assy with cigarrette lighter/power outlet -unplug power
> from outlet
> below cubby hole, find two screws - remove
> make sure cubby hole is closed
> stick a hook behind cubby hole door at the top center. while pulling
> at the top, pull at the bottom. cubby will come out
> behind cubby at the back (forward direction in car) and sides is two
> black plastic pieces. pull the forward most portion towards you
> (towards the back of car). these are a little tricky.
> there are 3 clips that need to be depressed (luckily not all at the
> same time) in the top ventilation panel. the center clip is below the
> emergency flasher switch - you do not need to remove the switch, just
> depress it and push the screwdriver straight down towards the ground in
> front of the switch (front would be rear of car side of switch - the
> face you would touch with your finger)
> the other two clips are on either side - push the flat blade
> screwdriver in towards the drivers side door or pass door (depending on
> which side you are doing) in the lowermost grille opening in the air
> outlets. if you look for these clip slots first, you will be able to
> see them
> this top ventilation panel will now be pulled towards you (towards the
> rear of the vehicle)
> the stereo has 2 hex head screws that come in from the bottom. these
> screws also have a phillips screwdriver slot. these are accessible
> from where the cubby hole was. you will need a flashlight and a mirror
> depending on how flexible you are.
> if memory serves me correctly, there will be two more screws at the
> very top of the stereo. none of the screws that require removing are
> hidden. please look for screws that i may have missed. i can't
> possibly be expected to remember everything.
> :~)>
> now, the stereo should pull straight out, but not too far. you have to
> disconnect the wire harnesses.
> the stereo is fastened to this face plate by a few screws. once these
> are removed, the stereo is free to roam about the country...
>
> good luck and as with all advice found on them dang internetz, use with
> a grain a salt!!!
>
> bob z.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2006, 12:15 pm
bobzee1@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accort Radio Backlight


highkm wrote:
> Hey thanks a lot. I'll make this my weekend project.
>



i just found this:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/03-dvdwmoon.pdf

it should help you get started on most of the removal of the critical
parts

bob z.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Plays In 2003 Nav Radio CD? Dick Honda 3 0 15 May 2006 08:15 pm
2003 Accord EX-V6 stereo backlight is out Casey Honda 3 3 26 May 2005 12:04 pm
XM Radio In 2003 Acura CL Aaron McFarland Acura 1 18 Aug 2004 12:44 pm
2003 civic radio dbaron Honda 2 0 10 Jul 2004 12:08 pm
2003 CR-V and Satellite Radio Ron Honda 1 0 06 Jun 2004 08:57 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.