Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2006, 04:02 pm
oakparker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2006 Civic Upkeep

We purchased our Honda Civic this past January. We had the dealer do
a 1,000 mile check, and we have brought it in to Jiffy Lube for oil
and filter changes and fluid checks. I cannot figure out what the
regular maintenance schedule should be. I used to bring our old 1998
Civic in to the dealer for pre-winter and post-winter routine
maintenance. Should I still be doing this, or do I just wait for a
warning light to flash?



.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2006, 05:34 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

In article <l08bh2d96jhgnpr9jqion4rga10doiclgd@4ax.com>,
oakparker <sholomg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We purchased our Honda Civic this past January. We had the dealer do
> a 1,000 mile check, and we have brought it in to Jiffy Lube for oil
> and filter changes and fluid checks. I cannot figure out what the
> regular maintenance schedule should be.


Did you read the fine manual that came with your shiny new $17,000 toy?

If not, you get what you deserve.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2006, 06:34 pm
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <l08bh2d96jhgnpr9jqion4rga10doiclgd@4ax.com>,
> oakparker <sholomg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> We purchased our Honda Civic this past January. We had the dealer do
>> a 1,000 mile check, and we have brought it in to Jiffy Lube for oil
>> and filter changes and fluid checks. I cannot figure out what the
>> regular maintenance schedule should be.

>
> Did you read the fine manual that came with your shiny new $17,000 toy?
>
> If not, you get what you deserve.


Especially for going to Jiffy Lube for that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2006, 07:53 pm
Robert Barr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep


There is no 1,000 mile check for an '06 Civic. The computer tells you
when the car needs maintenance. I just brought mine in for its first
oil change at 7,800 miles and 7 months.

Keep your Honda AWAY from lube places, unless you really dislike the car
and want a reason to get rid of it.

oakparker wrote:
> We purchased our Honda Civic this past January. We had the dealer do
> a 1,000 mile check, and we have brought it in to Jiffy Lube for oil
> and filter changes and fluid checks. I cannot figure out what the
> regular maintenance schedule should be. I used to bring our old 1998
> Civic in to the dealer for pre-winter and post-winter routine
> maintenance. Should I still be doing this, or do I just wait for a
> warning light to flash?
>
>
>
> .................................................. ..............
> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
> >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2006, 08:42 am
oakparker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

Interesting replys.

1. Why are people so upset with Jiffy Lube and the other lube places?

2. I have read the manual and cannot figure out what the maintenance
schedule is. In the old days there was a schedule that had a grid
indicating what maintenance needed to be performed at various milles.
Where in the 2006 manual is the new grid?



.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2006, 08:48 am
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

oakparker wrote:

> 1. Why are people so upset with Jiffy Lube and the other lube places?


Those places tend to use the wrong fluids (e.g. generic instead of
manufacturer-specific) and overcharge for their services. In fact, there
was a news story recently about some of these places charging for services
that were never even performed.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2006, 09:06 am
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

"oakparker" <sholomg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1k2dh2d7m5c7d5tkkdcem8rh02553gtb43@4ax.com...
>
> Why are people so upset with Jiffy Lube and the other lube places?
>

They are a gamble. It's possible they will do a competent job of changing
the oil, but there is a real risk they will do some nasty damage.
Cross-threaded oil plugs are legion with the Quickie-lube shops and
replacing the oil pan to fix that will set you back a couple hundred
dollars. I don't know if anybody has succeeded in getting the JL places to
pay for that. More rarely they will put the entirely wrong fluids in or fail
to put oil in the crankcase at all. Those cases often show up on the TV news
"consumer advocate" spots. There have also been lots of complaints about
shops that claim to change the filter but clearly don't.

Personally, I do my own work and keep cars long past the point they have any
trade-in value. But if you expect to trade the car in when it is still new
enough to have value, you may find yourself many dollars ahead to have the
dealership or your regular mechanic change the oil and routine maintenance.
Verifiable service records are a crucial part of the difference between a
car that is in "good" condition and one that is in "excellent" condition,
and that can mean a thousand dollars or more in Blue Book value. Beyond
that, establishing a relationship with a shop before major trouble comes
along can pay off in many ways. Also, if they *do* cross-thread the drain
plug you can be sure they will make good on it without being asked. Shops
protect their business a whole lot more than fast lube places do.

Although... a bunch of years ago I heard about a place (in redneckland IIRC)
that offered topless oil changes (yes - women doing the work topless). It
was called "Boob and Lube." Kind of a specialty thing, I guess. Dunno how
that would look in the old service record.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2006, 10:50 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

In article <1k2dh2d7m5c7d5tkkdcem8rh02553gtb43@4ax.com>,
oakparker <sholomg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 2. I have read the manual and cannot figure out what the maintenance
> schedule is. In the old days there was a schedule that had a grid
> indicating what maintenance needed to be performed at various milles.
> Where in the 2006 manual is the new grid?


There isn't one.

There's a maintenance minder instead.

RTFM.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2006, 02:07 pm
Nobody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in news:elmop-
F4CA0E.18340223092006@nntp1.usenetserver.com:

> In article <l08bh2d96jhgnpr9jqion4rga10doiclgd@4ax.com>,
> oakparker <sholomg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> We purchased our Honda Civic this past January. We had the dealer do
>> a 1,000 mile check, and we have brought it in to Jiffy Lube for oil
>> and filter changes and fluid checks. I cannot figure out what the
>> regular maintenance schedule should be.

>
> Did you read the fine manual that came with your shiny new $17,000 toy?
>
> If not, you get what you deserve.
>
>


I can be lenient with noobs on almost any subject, except this one. You
don't know to read the manual? The salesman should have gone over the
maintenance stuff at delivery.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2006, 02:51 pm
Nobody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2006 Civic Upkeep

High Tech Misfit <me@privacy.net> wrote in
news:1hd2k9ld2xsch$.dlg@hightech.misfit:

> oakparker wrote:
>
>> 1. Why are people so upset with Jiffy Lube and the other lube places?

>
> Those places tend to use the wrong fluids (e.g. generic instead of
> manufacturer-specific) and overcharge for their services. In fact,
> there was a news story recently about some of these places charging
> for services that were never even performed.
>


"Manufacturer-specific fluids"...what are those again?

Gee, an auto service business overcharging/ripping off the customer?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carsoft, BMW ETK V10.0 2006, MITCHELL1 ONDEMAND5 4 QTR 2006 ESTIMATOR, MITCHELL GLASSMATE V5.2, Winworks Autoshop, AUTOMOTIVE EXPERT, Alldata ServiceCenter v2006, 1 DVD, Mitchell [ 57 CDs ], years 2006 - 1983, Alldata 2006, [4 DVDs], [53 CDs], BMW, M ola@mail.gr Honda 3 1 13 Apr 2007 06:57 pm
2006 Civic LX mpg nblomgren Honda 3 5 27 Jun 2006 06:47 pm
2006 Civic EX gliderguynj@aol.com Honda 2 4 04 Oct 2005 10:41 am
2006 Civic Si Jake Honda 2 1 26 Sep 2005 06:44 pm
2006 Civic Si... Professor Honda 3 3 01 May 2005 11:21 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.