Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 08:28 am
ans3072
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2001 CR-V check Light

Hi,
I am at work and didn't have a chance to pull my manual so I don't know
what type light this is that came on while driving to work. It is a
yellow light with an oblong circle that has a fan to the left and I
believe on top. Inside the circle it says check.

Any ideas which light that is? Also what may be wrong and how to get it
fixed?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 10:11 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

ans3072 wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am at work and didn't have a chance to pull my manual so I don't know
> what type light this is that came on while driving to work. It is a
> yellow light with an oblong circle that has a fan to the left and I
> believe on top. Inside the circle it says check.
>
> Any ideas which light that is? Also what may be wrong and how to get it
> fixed?
>
> Thanks!



---------------------------------------

That's the CHECK ENGINE light, and unless you left your gas cap loose,
you may want to swing by a place that will read (and write down) the
CODE that's been set. Tell us the number.

Some parts suppliers will do it for free. PartSource in Canada,
apparently.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 10:17 am
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

Princess auto has a code reader here in winnipeg for $54.99. OBDII and shuts
the light off when finished.

t

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am at work and didn't have a chance to pull my manual so I don't know

>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>>
>> Thanks!

>
>---------------------------------------
>
>That's the CHECK ENGINE light, and unless you left your gas cap loose,
>you may want to swing by a place that will read (and write down) the
>CODE that's been set. Tell us the number.
>
>Some parts suppliers will do it for free. PartSource in Canada,
>apparently.
>
>'Curly'


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200609/1

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:40 pm
ans3072
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

Hi,
I went by the auto parts store (Auto Zone) and they read it for me for
free. The diagnosis was something they didn't understand. It read:

P1456
Manufacturer Contrl
Auxiliary emission
Controls

Any idea what needs to be done?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 01:04 pm
rick++
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

It means something is wrong with the engine,
usually in the pollution control system,
but doesnt mean stop driving right this minute
like a red oil pressure too low light.

I my state you cant pass the emissions test
and license stickers if this light is on. Nor can
you transfer title, except to salvage.

When my 2004 civic had the light at 30K,
the dealer said drive it for three or four "cycles"
in case it was a temporary problem like a loose
gas cap. They said they'd charge an hour labor
just to track it down. But since it was still under
warranty they did the diagnosies and injector sensor
replacement free.

A 1990 civic had had an oxygen sensor failure
at 200K and the replacing cost $300.
(My threshhold for dumping the car was more than
$1000 or work per year.)

People advide trying to get a cheap code readout
from a parts shop to save the diagnosis cost,
especially if its something simple like a leaky
gas cap. The parts shop may not know what
all the codes mean. Someone told me a 2004
civic has 285 codes now.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 02:55 pm
Ford Driver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light


"rick++" <rick303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1158257085.766779.228190@d34g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> It means something is wrong with the engine,
> usually in the pollution control system,
> but doesnt mean stop driving right this minute
> like a red oil pressure too low light.
>


[snipped]

> People advide trying to get a cheap code readout
> from a parts shop to save the diagnosis cost,
> especially if its something simple like a leaky
> gas cap. The parts shop may not know what
> all the codes mean. Someone told me a 2004
> civic has 285 codes now.
>


Just today had the same code (P01456) on my 2002 CR-V and it was indeed a
loose gas cap. Used my own code scanner. Bought one after AutoZone read
the code on my Windstar van but would not turn off the light. Cost a little
less than $100 (USD) and has paid for itself in trips saved to the dealer.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 05:04 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

"loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:6648b168c38e4@uwe:

> Princess auto has a code reader here in winnipeg for $54.99. OBDII
> and shuts the light off when finished.




Way cool! What make? And does it see Honda enhanced codes?

Know the part number? Got a URL?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14 Sep 2006, 05:13 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

"ans3072" <ansleyrc@gmail.com> wrote in news:1158255603.419664.81020
@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> Hi,
> I went by the auto parts store (Auto Zone) and they read it for me for
> free. The diagnosis was something they didn't understand. It read:
>
> P1456
> Manufacturer Contrl
> Auxiliary emission
> Controls
>




That description is hopelessly vague. Here's Honda's offical
description:
Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (Fuel Tank System)

The relevant EPA mandated EVAP code is P0456, which means a leak greater
than 0.04" has been detected around the fuel tank. Since your code is a
Honda "enhanced" code, I suspect your leak is even smaller than that.

The official "loose gas cap" code is P0457. However, it can't hurt to
try tightening yours as a first step. Tighten it at *least* SIX clicks,
then wait a few days of driving. If the light goes off, you're fine.

If tightening the cap doesn't help, you've got a teeny, tiny leak at one
of the EVAP connections at the fuel tank. Find a garage with a "smoke
machine".


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15 Sep 2006, 01:46 am
Joe LaVigne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:04:35 +0000 (UTC), TeGGeR® wrote:

> "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:6648b168c38e4@uwe:
>
>> Princess auto has a code reader here in winnipeg for $54.99. OBDII
>> and shuts the light off when finished.

>
>
>
> Way cool! What make? And does it see Honda enhanced codes?
>
> Know the part number? Got a URL?


I know they cost more, but my plan is to get the Scan Gauge II. Not only
will it give you all the codes, but it also provides info (like MPG and ax
speeds and RPM's, etc) that my car won't give me.

I think I'll buy myself one for Christmas... ;-)

--
Joseph M. LaVigne
jlavigne@hits-buffalo.com
http://www.thelavignefamily.us/MyPipePages/ - 9/15/2006 2:44:09 AM
Tobacconist Brick and Mortar Database: http://bam.tobaccocellar.org/

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective
judgment in all human affairs"

-- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15 Sep 2006, 07:54 am
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 CR-V check Light

I think you will have a hard time finding a consumer model with Honda
enhanced codes. I haven't found one yet.


"TeGGeR®" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote in message
news:Xns983EB7CD4E9BCtegger@207.14.116.130...
> "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:6648b168c38e4@uwe:
>
>> Princess auto has a code reader here in winnipeg for $54.99. OBDII
>> and shuts the light off when finished.

>
>
>
> Way cool! What make? And does it see Honda enhanced codes?
>
> Know the part number? Got a URL?
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 odyssey check engine light only on highway JazzMan Honda 2 18 11 Nov 2005 08:32 pm
2001 Civic EX check engine light acidic@tokyo.com Honda 3 0 06 Mar 2005 01:35 am
2001 Accord, check engine light flashing, car jerking Karen Honda 3 5 12 Sep 2004 04:37 am
Engine Check Light on 2001 Accord Don Honda 2 6 02 Jul 2004 07:47 pm
Re: Honda Civic EX 2001 Check Engine Light P1457 monjici Honda 3 0 21 Jan 2004 08:07 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.