Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2006, 04:18 pm
Brandon Scarbrough
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Question for a Fiend

My Friend recently bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX.

When she drove off of the lot she noticed some squeaking when going
over bumps, I told her it sounded like shocks. She took it to the
dealership, under waranty, and they tell her it is "something rubbing
against the cradle"

What the hell does that mean?? This is the rear suspention. You all
think she should just return the car or what. does this sound like a
big deal, I have no idea what a cradle is. Thanks all!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2006, 04:36 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a FRiend

Brandon Scarbrough wrote:
>
> My Friend recently bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX.
>
> When she drove off of the lot she noticed some squeaking when going
> over bumps, I told her it sounded like shocks. She took it to the
> dealership, under waranty, and they tell her it is "something rubbing
> against the cradle"
>
> What the hell does that mean?? This is the rear suspention. You all
> think she should just return the car or what. does this sound like a
> big deal, I have no idea what a cradle is. Thanks all!



------------------------------

www.slhondaparts.com has diagrams, maybe you can 'spot the cradle'.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2006, 04:50 pm
Bucky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a Fiend

> Question for a Fiend

I don't deal with fiends. =) (sorry couldn't resist)

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2006, 09:16 pm
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a FRiend



"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:
>
> Brandon Scarbrough wrote:
> >
> > My Friend recently bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX.
> >
> > When she drove off of the lot she noticed some squeaking when going
> > over bumps, I told her it sounded like shocks. She took it to the
> > dealership, under waranty, and they tell her it is "something rubbing
> > against the cradle"
> >
> > What the hell does that mean?? This is the rear suspention. You all
> > think she should just return the car or what. does this sound like a
> > big deal, I have no idea what a cradle is. Thanks all!

>
> ------------------------------
>
> www.slhondaparts.com has diagrams, maybe you can 'spot the cradle'.
>
> 'Curly'




Ain't a cradle the thing that fell out of the treetop after the wind
began to blow???

JT
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2006, 09:40 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a FRiend

Grumpy AuContraire <Grumpster@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote in
news:4500D32C.7FA9A24E@GrumpyvilleNOT.com:

>
>
> "'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:


>>
>> www.slhondaparts.com has diagrams, maybe you can 'spot the cradle'.
>>
>> 'Curly'

>
>
>
> Ain't a cradle the thing that fell out of the treetop after the wind
> began to blow???
>



You're putting me to sleep... zzzzzzzzzzzz


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2006, 12:37 am
Unquestionably Confused
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a FRiend

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Grumpy AuContraire <Grumpster@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote in
> news:4500D32C.7FA9A24E@GrumpyvilleNOT.com:
>
>>
>> "'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:

>
>>> www.slhondaparts.com has diagrams, maybe you can 'spot the cradle'.
>>>
>>> 'Curly'

>>
>>
>> Ain't a cradle the thing that fell out of the treetop after the wind
>> began to blow???
>>

>
>
> You're putting me to sleep... zzzzzzzzzzzz
>


LOL! Take that diagram and look for the baby. Probably be pretty easy
to spot, even if it's spattered. Cradle should be close by.



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2006, 09:19 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a Friend

Older Honda models were kinda known for squeaks/creaking
when getting into the car and going over bumps. Typically
they emanated from (1) the suspension coils rubbing against
their upper or lower mount; (2) the suspension control arm
bushings.

I never saw any sure solution to this. IIRC people tried
various lubricants, and they worked a few weeks, then the
noise would come back. But at least this approach would
narrow down the source and so alleviate concerns.

I put new control arm bushings in all around my old 91 Civic
this past spring. They now squeak/creak when temperatures
are lower. I confirmed the source by stopping the car
completely, and just pushing up and down on the front and
rear bumpers. You could do similar, or maybe also put the
car on ramps or jackstands and get someone to get close to
the suspect source.

groups.google the archive of this group and
rec.autos.makers.honda for more commentary.

Again, I am not sure if newer models have been showing this
problem or not. Just tossing this out until someone with
more experience with your friend's model chime in.

I suppose the cradle is some major supporting or generic
member of the car's frame or suspension.

"Brandon Scarbrough" <brandon_scarbrough@hotmail.com> wrote
> My Friend recently bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX.
>
> When she drove off of the lot she noticed some squeaking
> when going
> over bumps, I told her it sounded like shocks. She took
> it to the
> dealership, under waranty, and they tell her it is
> "something rubbing
> against the cradle"
>
> What the hell does that mean?? This is the rear
> suspention. You all
> think she should just return the car or what. does this
> sound like a
> big deal, I have no idea what a cradle is. Thanks all!
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2006, 12:10 pm
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a FRiend



"TeGGeR®" wrote:
>
> Grumpy AuContraire <Grumpster@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote in
> news:4500D32C.7FA9A24E@GrumpyvilleNOT.com:
>
> >
> >
> > "'Curly Q. Links'" wrote:

>
> >>
> >> www.slhondaparts.com has diagrams, maybe you can 'spot the cradle'.
> >>
> >> 'Curly'

> >
> >
> >
> > Ain't a cradle the thing that fell out of the treetop after the wind
> > began to blow???
> >

>
> You're putting me to sleep... zzzzzzzzzzzz
>
>



Bump your head when hitting the dirt??

<G>

JT
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2006, 12:14 pm
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a Friend

Usually, squeaks due to rubber degeneration can be temporarily squelched
(notice the usage of two "sq" woids) by squirting (oops, make that
three) conventional brake fluid on the offending items.

Of course as you mentioned, it would become part of a repetitive
maintenance routine...

JT




Elle wrote:
>
> Older Honda models were kinda known for squeaks/creaking
> when getting into the car and going over bumps. Typically
> they emanated from (1) the suspension coils rubbing against
> their upper or lower mount; (2) the suspension control arm
> bushings.
>
> I never saw any sure solution to this. IIRC people tried
> various lubricants, and they worked a few weeks, then the
> noise would come back. But at least this approach would
> narrow down the source and so alleviate concerns.
>
> I put new control arm bushings in all around my old 91 Civic
> this past spring. They now squeak/creak when temperatures
> are lower. I confirmed the source by stopping the car
> completely, and just pushing up and down on the front and
> rear bumpers. You could do similar, or maybe also put the
> car on ramps or jackstands and get someone to get close to
> the suspect source.
>
> groups.google the archive of this group and
> rec.autos.makers.honda for more commentary.
>
> Again, I am not sure if newer models have been showing this
> problem or not. Just tossing this out until someone with
> more experience with your friend's model chime in.
>
> I suppose the cradle is some major supporting or generic
> member of the car's frame or suspension.
>
> "Brandon Scarbrough" <brandon_scarbrough@hotmail.com> wrote
> > My Friend recently bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX.
> >
> > When she drove off of the lot she noticed some squeaking
> > when going
> > over bumps, I told her it sounded like shocks. She took
> > it to the
> > dealership, under waranty, and they tell her it is
> > "something rubbing
> > against the cradle"
> >
> > What the hell does that mean?? This is the rear
> > suspention. You all
> > think she should just return the car or what. does this
> > sound like a
> > big deal, I have no idea what a cradle is. Thanks all!
> >

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2006, 03:23 pm
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Question for a Friend

I personally don't tarry over the squeaks. Your recent post
re slapping on the cheapest tires available on old beater
cars like yours and mine made perfect sense, with regard to
not fretting over the little stuff.

My 91 Civic deserves the very best when it comes to engine
maintenance AFAIC, but for the cosmetic, superficial stuff,
it and I will both laugh to the bank (er, stock market). 45+
doggoned miles per gallon with the cruise control set at 65
mph, on a 15-year-old car. Damn I'm good. (All right, you
fellows and the occasional woman at the newsgroup are good.)

"Grumpy AuContraire" <Grumpster@GrumpyvilleNOT.com> wrote
> Usually, squeaks due to rubber degeneration can be
> temporarily squelched
> (notice the usage of two "sq" woids) by squirting (oops,
> make that
> three) conventional brake fluid on the offending items.
>
> Of course as you mentioned, it would become part of a
> repetitive
> maintenance routine...
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Yik Yak Honda 3 0 23 Apr 2005 03:23 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.