Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Sep 2006, 04:36 pm
frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

hello all,

i have a 97 civic with only 41,000 miles on it, and i have a problem
with the accelerator pedal, it's sticks a little when i first start to
depress it. when it finally releases it makes for some herky jerky
acceleratriosn in 1st. i had this problem a few years ago, the dealer
said i needed a major replacement of something , i forget what. i
took it ti a garage and they did something that "unstuck it" by
cleaning it out . . . said it was a common problem. so, what to do?
pay the dealer? take it to a garage? or is this something i can clean
out myself without too much major surgery? thanks for help - fj

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03 Sep 2006, 09:38 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

frank wrote:
>
> hello all,
>
> i have a 97 civic with only 41,000 miles on it, and i have a problem
> with the accelerator pedal, it's sticks a little when i first start to
> depress it. when it finally releases it makes for some herky jerky
> acceleratriosn in 1st. i had this problem a few years ago, the dealer
> said i needed a major replacement of something , i forget what. i
> took it ti a garage and they did something that "unstuck it" by
> cleaning it out . . . said it was a common problem. so, what to do?
> pay the dealer? take it to a garage? or is this something i can clean
> out myself without too much major surgery? thanks for help - fj



----------------------------------

Do a google search for honda throttle body cleaning. Condensates are
gluing it shut overnight. A can of techron injector cleaner should be
used at least twice a year to keep other stuff clean.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Sep 2006, 07:33 pm
JXStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 08:38:42 -0600, "'Curly Q. Links'"
<motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:
>Do a google search for honda throttle body cleaning. Condensates are
>gluing it shut overnight. A can of techron injector cleaner should be
>used at least twice a year to keep other stuff clean.


How about a couple of tanks of Chevron gas, at least after a cleanout?

OP - for information, what kind of gas do you usually buy?

J.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Sep 2006, 11:15 pm
frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

hi, used to buy mobile gas but had the problembefore anyway . . .
lately i just buy the cheapest gas i can find -- hess, getty, etc--
does that really matter? would be great if some fancy super hi test
gas would do the trick! talk to me :-) ==fj

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 Sep 2006, 12:33 pm
JXStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

On 4 Sep 2006 21:15:13 -0700, "frank" <frankasdf@juno.com> wrote:
>hi, used to buy mobile gas but had the problembefore anyway . . .
>lately i just buy the cheapest gas i can find -- hess, getty, etc--
>does that really matter? would be great if some fancy super hi test
>gas would do the trick! talk to me :-) ==fj


Chevron gas has that injector cleaner stuff in it. Not sure if it
will clear a problem, at least not quickly, but it should pretty much
prevent them, as I understand it, or at least put it off as long as
possible.

Back in the day, Union 76 gas would clog my carbueretor quickly, and
almost anything else would clear it. Gas can make the difference.
Cousin had the same experience on hearing my story and switching off
the 76.

I started buying Chevron because I like their pay at the pump system,
and noticed the car really did seem to run a little better on it.
Have been using it almost exclusively for some time. Maybe costs a
dollar per tank, whatever.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05 Sep 2006, 07:48 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in
news:44FAE8F2.9677A8DD@interbaun.com:

> frank wrote:
>>
>> hello all,
>>
>> i have a 97 civic with only 41,000 miles on it, and i have a problem
>> with the accelerator pedal, it's sticks a little when i first start
>> to depress it. when it finally releases it makes for some herky
>> jerky acceleratriosn in 1st. i had this problem a few years ago,
>> the dealer said i needed a major replacement of something , i forget
>> what. i took it ti a garage and they did something that "unstuck
>> it" by cleaning it out . . . said it was a common problem. so, what
>> to do? pay the dealer? take it to a garage? or is this something i
>> can clean out myself without too much major surgery? thanks for help
>> - fj

>
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> Do a google search for honda throttle body cleaning. Condensates are
> gluing it shut overnight.




If they are, then oil is getting into the throttle body, suggesting a
plugged PCV system or excessive blowby.

The throttle body ought to stay dusty dry all the time. Gunk is
abnormal.




--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05 Sep 2006, 10:51 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

"JXStern" <JXSternChangeX2R@gte.net> wrote in message
news:tvcrf2ta656uf49h5no53ig92gofjr71t7@4ax.com...
>
> Chevron gas has that injector cleaner stuff in it. Not sure if it
> will clear a problem, at least not quickly, but it should pretty much
> prevent them, as I understand it, or at least put it off as long as
> possible.
>
> Back in the day, Union 76 gas would clog my carbueretor quickly, and
> almost anything else would clear it. Gas can make the difference.
> Cousin had the same experience on hearing my story and switching off
> the 76.
>


That's been my experience, too. I had an '84 Nissan 300ZX that would get
rough and the clutch would get touchy if I used gas from the 76 on the
corner for a few months. A single tank of Texaco or Chevron would straighten
it right out for a few more months.

Mike


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sticky accelerator pedal on '98 Accord EX sedan Ron M. Honda 2 5 16 Jan 2006 08:57 pm
accelerator pedal vibration ZenMaster Honda 3 1 12 Aug 2004 05:26 am
Sticky Accelerator check Honda 2 7 18 Dec 2003 12:31 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.