Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2006, 05:47 pm
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

I don't have an owners manual for the car and I think I read on this
newsgroup that the timing belt on a 1991 Accord needs to be changed at
90,000 miles. I just spoke to Honda service and they said 60,000
miles. This is a 4 cylinder. The car has 94,000 miles so if it is
60,000, not good.

The odd thing is that I thought I had the timing belt done when I
bought the car used from the dealer around 7 years ago but they have
no record of it.

I can't find a schedule on the net so if anyone knows for sure please
let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2006, 06:40 pm
TeGGeR®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

dgk <sonice@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in
newst77e2ljjieb13vve2c1vrf6cbdav10boh@4ax.com:

> I don't have an owners manual for the car and I think I read on this
> newsgroup that the timing belt on a 1991 Accord needs to be changed at
> 90,000 miles. I just spoke to Honda service and they said 60,000
> miles. This is a 4 cylinder. The car has 94,000 miles so if it is
> 60,000, not good.
>
> The odd thing is that I thought I had the timing belt done when I
> bought the car used from the dealer around 7 years ago but they have
> no record of it.
>
> I can't find a schedule on the net so if anyone knows for sure please
> let me know. Thanks.
>



You can obtain your Owner's Manual here:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

No login required. Just click "Owner's Manuals", then navigate to yours. It
takes a bit to download the whole thing, so report back here if you want to
do that.

The maintenance schedule in your manual says 90K miles or 72 months. With a
new belt, that interval would increase to 105K/84 months. If you're not
sure when it was done last, get it replaced! You're due now.


--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16 Aug 2006, 07:24 pm
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:40:27 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"
<tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote:

>dgk <sonice@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in
>newst77e2ljjieb13vve2c1vrf6cbdav10boh@4ax.com :
>
>> I don't have an owners manual for the car and I think I read on this
>> newsgroup that the timing belt on a 1991 Accord needs to be changed at
>> 90,000 miles. I just spoke to Honda service and they said 60,000
>> miles. This is a 4 cylinder. The car has 94,000 miles so if it is
>> 60,000, not good.
>>
>> The odd thing is that I thought I had the timing belt done when I
>> bought the car used from the dealer around 7 years ago but they have
>> no record of it.
>>
>> I can't find a schedule on the net so if anyone knows for sure please
>> let me know. Thanks.
>>

>
>
>You can obtain your Owner's Manual here:
>https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp
>
>No login required. Just click "Owner's Manuals", then navigate to yours. It
>takes a bit to download the whole thing, so report back here if you want to
>do that.
>
>The maintenance schedule in your manual says 90K miles or 72 months. With a
>new belt, that interval would increase to 105K/84 months. If you're not
>sure when it was done last, get it replaced! You're due now.


Thanks much. Six years. I must have had it done when I got the car,
but not at the dealer. Still, it needs to be done again.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 Aug 2006, 12:00 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question


"dgk" <sonice@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nld7e29fk9f4r97evu5hjfas7hlpos10uk@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:40:27 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"
> <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote:
>
>>dgk <sonice@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in
>>newst77e2ljjieb13vve2c1vrf6cbdav10boh@4ax.co m:
>>
>>> I don't have an owners manual for the car and I think I
>>> read on this
>>> newsgroup that the timing belt on a 1991 Accord needs to
>>> be changed at
>>> 90,000 miles. I just spoke to Honda service and they
>>> said 60,000
>>> miles. This is a 4 cylinder. The car has 94,000 miles so
>>> if it is
>>> 60,000, not good.
>>>
>>> The odd thing is that I thought I had the timing belt
>>> done when I
>>> bought the car used from the dealer around 7 years ago
>>> but they have
>>> no record of it.
>>>
>>> I can't find a schedule on the net so if anyone knows
>>> for sure please
>>> let me know. Thanks.
>>>

>>
>>
>>You can obtain your Owner's Manual here:
>>https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp
>>
>>No login required. Just click "Owner's Manuals", then
>>navigate to yours. It
>>takes a bit to download the whole thing, so report back
>>here if you want to
>>do that.
>>
>>The maintenance schedule in your manual says 90K miles or
>>72 months. With a
>>new belt, that interval would increase to 105K/84 months.
>>If you're not
>>sure when it was done last, get it replaced! You're due
>>now.

>
> Thanks much. Six years. I must have had it done when I got
> the car,
> but not at the dealer. Still, it needs to be done again.


Make sure your driving does not fall into the "severe
category" of the maintenance manual. If it does, then 60k
miles may be the interval.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17 Aug 2006, 06:35 am
Burt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

"Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote

> Make sure your driving does not fall into the "severe
> category" of the maintenance manual. If it does, then 60k
> miles may be the interval.


The 91 Accord timing belt doesn't fall into severe condition category.




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17 Aug 2006, 06:43 am
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:35:38 GMT, "Burt" <burtsquareman@none.com>
wrote:

>"Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote
>
>> Make sure your driving does not fall into the "severe
>> category" of the maintenance manual. If it does, then 60k
>> miles may be the interval.

>
>The 91 Accord timing belt doesn't fall into severe condition category.
>
>

I don't know what factors affect the interval. I'm in the northeast so
we have snow and salt, and the roads around here can be pretty bumpy.
And I suppose I'm fairly tough on a car although I do the oil pretty
regularly. Still, it's been at least six years so the belt will need
to be done. The car is staying in the family.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17 Aug 2006, 11:08 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

"Burt" <burtsquareman@none.com> wrote
> "Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote
>
>> Make sure your driving does not fall into the "severe
>> category" of the maintenance manual. If it does, then 60k
>> miles may be the interval.

>
> The 91 Accord timing belt doesn't fall into severe
> condition category.


To clarify, you mean you think there are no "severe driving
conditions" limitations for the 91 Accord's timing belt.

The maintenance schedule for the 91 Accord available via
http://search.ebscohost.com/ says otherwise. (Login (for
free) using the username "lib" and the password "access."
Click on "Auto Repair Reference Center.")

If the vehicle is operated under any of the following, then
the TB an balancer belts should be replaced at 60k miles:
Extremely dusty conditions. Fifty percent or more of the
vehicle's operation is in 90 degree F or higher temperatures
or 32 degree F or lower temperatures. Prolonged idling.
Frequent short running periods such that the engine does not
reach normal operating temperature. Police, taxi, delivery
or trailer towing usage.

I don't see this at the autozone site's free manual, nor the
UK site. Both of the latter denote factory service
maintenance schedules. OTOH Canadian Honda owner's site goes
back only to the 94 Accord and gives a limit of approx. 96k
km (= 60k miles) for its timing belt.

From what the owner said, it seems possible the owner's shop
was legitimately recommending the 60k miles for his car.

Regardless, it's moot. The owner says he's past the regular
service interval time limit.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2006, 02:17 am
Burt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

"Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote

> To clarify, you mean you think there are no "severe driving
> conditions" limitations for the 91 Accord's timing belt.
>
> The maintenance schedule for the 91 Accord available via
> http://search.ebscohost.com/ says otherwise. (Login (for
> free) using the username "lib" and the password "access."
> Click on "Auto Repair Reference Center.")
>
> If the vehicle is operated under any of the following, then
> the TB an balancer belts should be replaced at 60k miles:
> Extremely dusty conditions. Fifty percent or more of the
> vehicle's operation is in 90 degree F or higher temperatures
> or 32 degree F or lower temperatures. Prolonged idling.
> Frequent short running periods such that the engine does not
> reach normal operating temperature. Police, taxi, delivery
> or trailer towing usage.


You mean this? http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/2...epticalnv4.gif

This information is unreliable due to three factors. First, no mention
of the Honda Mtr. Co. Second, did NOT provide the 6 year interval
for the timing belt. Third, the inclusion of severe conditions which is
not backed by Honda Mtr. Co.

Somebody may have made up the info for the reason of profit or
probably too lazy to look up the correct data. The Honda timing
belt is design for temperature of 90F+ and pretty much sealed from
dusty conditions. Malaysia, for example, is a pretty hot and humid place
but the Honda belt works just fine. The timing belt has no effect on
prolonged idling. What really count are the 72 months and miles. The
OP's 72 months had lapse. The belt should burst by now but it hasn't
because it was designed with a lot of overhead.

> I don't see this at the autozone site's free manual, nor the
> UK site. Both of the latter denote factory service
> maintenance schedules. OTOH Canadian Honda owner's site goes
> back only to the 94 Accord and gives a limit of approx. 96k
> km (= 60k miles) for its timing belt.
>
> From what the owner said, it seems possible the owner's shop
> was legitimately recommending the 60k miles for his car.
>
> Regardless, it's moot. The owner says he's past the regular
> service interval time limit.


He should've replaced it 9 years ago based on his absence of
record. After six years the belt is under severe condition. This goes to
prove that Honda makes one of the best belts. One more reason
to show that the severe service interval data on arrc.epnet.com has to
be corrected.





Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2006, 08:51 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

"Burt" <burtsquareman@none.com> wrote
> "Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote
>
>> To clarify, you mean you think there are no "severe
>> driving
>> conditions" limitations for the 91 Accord's timing belt.
>>
>> The maintenance schedule for the 91 Accord available via
>> http://search.ebscohost.com/ says otherwise. (Login (for
>> free) using the username "lib" and the password "access."
>> Click on "Auto Repair Reference Center.")
>>
>> If the vehicle is operated under any of the following,
>> then
>> the TB an balancer belts should be replaced at 60k miles:
>> Extremely dusty conditions. Fifty percent or more of the
>> vehicle's operation is in 90 degree F or higher
>> temperatures
>> or 32 degree F or lower temperatures. Prolonged idling.
>> Frequent short running periods such that the engine does
>> not
>> reach normal operating temperature. Police, taxi,
>> delivery
>> or trailer towing usage.

>
> You mean this?
>http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/2...epticalnv4.gif


I mean what I wrote above.

> This information is unreliable due to three factors.
> First, no mention
> of the Honda Mtr. Co.


The Ebsco site's Honda procedures contain the following
acknowledgment: "The Publisher expresses appreciation to
Honda Motor Company, Ltd., for their generous assistance."


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2006, 09:51 am
Burt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord timing belt schedule question

"Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%BjFg.5417$Sn3.242@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net...
> "Burt" <burtsquareman@none.com> wrote
> > "Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote
> >
> >> To clarify, you mean you think there are no "severe
> >> driving
> >> conditions" limitations for the 91 Accord's timing belt.
> >>
> >> The maintenance schedule for the 91 Accord available via
> >> http://search.ebscohost.com/ says otherwise. (Login (for
> >> free) using the username "lib" and the password "access."
> >> Click on "Auto Repair Reference Center.")
> >>
> >> If the vehicle is operated under any of the following,
> >> then
> >> the TB an balancer belts should be replaced at 60k miles:
> >> Extremely dusty conditions. Fifty percent or more of the
> >> vehicle's operation is in 90 degree F or higher
> >> temperatures
> >> or 32 degree F or lower temperatures. Prolonged idling.
> >> Frequent short running periods such that the engine does
> >> not
> >> reach normal operating temperature. Police, taxi,
> >> delivery
> >> or trailer towing usage.

> >
> > You mean this?
> >http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/2...epticalnv4.gif

>
> I mean what I wrote above.
>
> > This information is unreliable due to three factors.
> > First, no mention
> > of the Honda Mtr. Co.

>
> The Ebsco site's Honda procedures contain the following
> acknowledgment: "The Publisher expresses appreciation to
> Honda Motor Company, Ltd., for their generous assistance."


This has to be printed or asterisks on the screen shot I gave you in
order to have merit. The screen shot speaks for itself its layout
quality. Honda or Toyota maintenance schedule has a distinct
quality in printing. The user has to pick out these details in order
to be an objective reader.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 Honda Accord Timing belt Fijoy George Honda 3 10 05 May 2007 06:02 pm
Timing belt question. Squire Acura 15 08 Apr 2007 08:41 am
1991 timing belt question larson.joshua@gmail.com Honda 2 8 09 Apr 2006 10:21 pm
*newbie* question on timing belt change, 96 Accord Richard Slay Honda 2 3 12 Oct 2004 04:34 pm
98 Accord Timing Belt question Mustangbrad Honda 3 6 18 Nov 2003 06:05 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.