Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2006, 06:02 pm
waitneight@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH

Hello,

I have a 2001 Accord EX (4-cyl). While driving there is rear
undercarriage noise at all speeds. The sound is a low frequency
vibration that varies with the current speed being traveled. The
sounds appears to becoming equally from the rear left and rear right
corner of the car. There is no connection to RPMs or engine activity.
The faster the wheels spin, the louder is gets. At 40MPH the vibration

hits a painful, headache inducing, frequency. The faster I go the
higher the frequency. 40MPH is bad, so is 65MPH, but the sound is
always noisy. Back seat passengers really notice it.

A full tire rotation made no difference. Now what?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2006, 06:23 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH

<waitneight@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153609368.457257.89940@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a 2001 Accord EX (4-cyl). While driving there is rear
> undercarriage noise at all speeds. The sound is a low frequency
> vibration that varies with the current speed being traveled. The
> sounds appears to becoming equally from the rear left and rear right
> corner of the car. There is no connection to RPMs or engine activity.
> The faster the wheels spin, the louder is gets. At 40MPH the vibration
>
> hits a painful, headache inducing, frequency. The faster I go the
> higher the frequency. 40MPH is bad, so is 65MPH, but the sound is
> always noisy. Back seat passengers really notice it.
>
> A full tire rotation made no difference. Now what?
>
> Thanks!
>

Time to raise both rear wheels and rotate them by hand, paying attention to
the feel and sound of each. I think you have a wheel bearing going out.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2006, 06:29 pm
waynewright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH

Thanks Mike. Will do. What might a repair like that run?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2006, 09:45 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH

"waynewright" <waitneight@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153610959.377174.115880@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> Thanks Mike. Will do. What might a repair like that run?
>

I would expect in the $200 US range, but I'm not sure what type rear
bearings the '01 Accord has. There is no need to replace both if one fails.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jul 2006, 11:53 pm
waynewright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH


Michael Pardee wrote:
> "waynewright" <waitneight@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1153610959.377174.115880@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> > Thanks Mike. Will do. What might a repair like that run?
> >

> I would expect in the $200 US range, but I'm not sure what type rear
> bearings the '01 Accord has. There is no need to replace both if one fails.
>
> Mike


Ok. I dropped it off at PepBoys tonight for early bird Sunday service.
We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2006, 07:25 am
L Alpert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH

waitneight@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 2001 Accord EX (4-cyl). While driving there is rear
> undercarriage noise at all speeds. The sound is a low frequency
> vibration that varies with the current speed being traveled. The
> sounds appears to becoming equally from the rear left and rear right
> corner of the car. There is no connection to RPMs or engine activity.
> The faster the wheels spin, the louder is gets. At 40MPH the
> vibration
>
> hits a painful, headache inducing, frequency. The faster I go the
> higher the frequency. 40MPH is bad, so is 65MPH, but the sound is
> always noisy. Back seat passengers really notice it.
>
> A full tire rotation made no difference. Now what?
>
> Thanks!


When was the last time you serviced the rear brakes?


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2006, 07:49 am
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH

waynewright wrote:

> Ok. I dropped it off at PepBoys tonight for early bird Sunday service.
> We'll see what happens.
>
> Thanks.


PepBoys? I hope for your sake they don't screw up. Franchise-type
companies like PepBoys and Midas are generally to be avoided. Find a good
private mechanic who works on Japanese cars instead.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2006, 10:04 am
waynewright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH


L Alpert wrote:
> waitneight@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a 2001 Accord EX (4-cyl). While driving there is rear
> > undercarriage noise at all speeds. The sound is a low frequency
> > vibration that varies with the current speed being traveled. The
> > sounds appears to becoming equally from the rear left and rear right
> > corner of the car. There is no connection to RPMs or engine activity.
> > The faster the wheels spin, the louder is gets. At 40MPH the
> > vibration
> >
> > hits a painful, headache inducing, frequency. The faster I go the
> > higher the frequency. 40MPH is bad, so is 65MPH, but the sound is
> > always noisy. Back seat passengers really notice it.
> >
> > A full tire rotation made no difference. Now what?
> >
> > Thanks!

>
> When was the last time you serviced the rear brakes?


Rear brakes got new pads about 6-8 months ago.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2006, 10:06 am
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH



Michael Pardee wrote:
>
> "waynewright" <waitneight@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1153610959.377174.115880@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> > Thanks Mike. Will do. What might a repair like that run?
> >

> I would expect in the $200 US range, but I'm not sure what type rear
> bearings the '01 Accord has. There is no need to replace both if one fails.
>
> Mike




Just to clarify... If the hub is supported by an inner and outer
bearing (simple spindle suspension), I would replace the pair even if
only one was going bad. Honda's do have inner and outers, yes?

JT

(Now wondering if that's the case on his '83 "baby")
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jul 2006, 10:09 am
waynewright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH


High Tech Misfit wrote:
> waynewright wrote:
>
> > Ok. I dropped it off at PepBoys tonight for early bird Sunday service.
> > We'll see what happens.
> >
> > Thanks.

>
> PepBoys? I hope for your sake they don't screw up. Franchise-type
> companies like PepBoys and Midas are generally to be avoided. Find a good
> private mechanic who works on Japanese cars instead.


Not a big fan either, but they are just a 3 minute walk down the
street, and being a single guy it is extremely convenient. Anyway, I
am still is research mode so I have not authorized any repairs (yet).
I just want to hear their diagnosis.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud noise from Honda Accord 99 when driving above 40mph rouhel.ahmed@googlemail.com Honda 3 4 07 Jul 2007 10:43 pm
Loud noise from Honda Accord 99 when driving above 40mph rouhel.ahmed@googlemail.com Honda 1 0 19 Jun 2007 05:38 am
2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH waitneight@gmail.com Honda 3 8 23 Jul 2006 10:16 am
2001 Accord Rear Wheel Road Noise Ari Rankum Honda 2 11 23 Nov 2004 10:50 am
2001 Accord Rear Wheel Road Noise Ari Rankum Honda 3 10 23 Nov 2004 10:50 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.