Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2006, 11:19 am
BrineyJason@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1991 honda civic engine swap

I'm looking to do an engine swap on my 1991 honda civic dx 4door. I'm
looking for horsepower. is there any sugestions that anyone can make?
all would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2006, 04:07 pm
manic mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic engine swap

BrineyJason@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I'm looking to do an engine swap on my 1991 honda civic dx 4door. I'm
> looking for horsepower. is there any sugestions that anyone can make?
> all would be appreciated.


save your money and buy a different car. a 91 civic is a dependable
transportation appliance. it was never meant to outrun an acura nsx.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2006, 07:03 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic engine swap

BrineyJason@gmail.com wrote in
news:1152548382.879931.269570@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com:

> I'm looking to do an engine swap on my 1991 honda civic dx 4door. I'm
> looking for horsepower. is there any sugestions that anyone can make?
> all would be appreciated.
>


I saw an article in Honda Tuning Magazine a couple of years ago about a
company that made conversion mounts and hardware for putting modern K
series motors/transaxles into older Honda/Acura products,but unfortunately
I can't remember the company.Maybe you can find them advertising in newer
issues of the mag.It wouldn't hurt to do a little research in the tuner
magazines,either.

Alternately,you could try finding/ordering a JDM B18-series DOHC VTEC motor
to put in.

It seems to me that just modifying your present motor(D-series?) would be
more cost-effective,(turbos,intake/exhaust mods,etc.) although there's no
substitute for cubic inches.(cubic centimeters??? ;-) )

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:56 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic engine swap

BrineyJason@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm looking to do an engine swap on my 1991 honda civic dx 4door. I'm
> looking for horsepower. is there any sugestions that anyone can make?
> all would be appreciated.
>

how much horsepower? how much money? you have options up the wazoo.
the biggest thing to figure out is how much to spend and your ability
level to do the work - there's a fair amount of re-wiring involved. and
you should upgrade the brakes. and most importantly, why the 4-door???
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jul 2006, 01:39 pm
hondaman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic engine swap

lots of people use acura engines in those cars. the ecu will have to be
changed and the wiring harness to the fuel injectors and distributor will
have to be changed. it's going to cost $$. i've seen civics that people put
a sohc vtec head on their non vtech stock engine. thats something else you
may be able to do.

-jeff
"jim beam" <nospam@example.net> wrote in message
news:PsWdnZMoTe3Iji7ZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
> BrineyJason@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm looking to do an engine swap on my 1991 honda civic dx 4door. I'm
>> looking for horsepower. is there any sugestions that anyone can make?
>> all would be appreciated.
>>

> how much horsepower? how much money? you have options up the wazoo. the
> biggest thing to figure out is how much to spend and your ability level to
> do the work - there's a fair amount of re-wiring involved. and you should
> upgrade the brakes. and most importantly, why the 4-door???



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jul 2006, 01:10 pm
BrineyJason@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic engine swap

The reason that i want to do it on my 91 civic 4 door is that i haven't
seen it. and i would like to do something that. i haven't seen before.
and i'm willing to spend about $20,000 on the project. i was thinking
about using a s2000 motor but that would be to much work. to convert it
to a rw dr
hondaman wrote:
> lots of people use acura engines in those cars. the ecu will have to be
> changed and the wiring harness to the fuel injectors and distributor will
> have to be changed. it's going to cost $$. i've seen civics that people put
> a sohc vtec head on their non vtech stock engine. thats something else you
> may be able to do.
>
> -jeff
> "jim beam" <nospam@example.net> wrote in message
> news:PsWdnZMoTe3Iji7ZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
> > BrineyJason@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I'm looking to do an engine swap on my 1991 honda civic dx 4door. I'm
> >> looking for horsepower. is there any sugestions that anyone can make?
> >> all would be appreciated.
> >>

> > how much horsepower? how much money? you have options up the wazoo. the
> > biggest thing to figure out is how much to spend and your ability level to
> > do the work - there's a fair amount of re-wiring involved. and you should
> > upgrade the brakes. and most importantly, why the 4-door???


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jul 2006, 09:32 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 honda civic engine swap

BrineyJason@gmail.com wrote:
> The reason that i want to do it on my 91 civic 4 door is that i haven't
> seen it. and i would like to do something that. i haven't seen before.
> and i'm willing to spend about $20,000 on the project. i was thinking
> about using a s2000 motor but that would be to much work. to convert it
> to a rw dr


you want to spend $20k on a conversion of a 91 4-door???? the 90-91
4-door is the heaviest of that class. it makes no sense when you have
the 88-89 hatch and 88-89 crx's that offer you good weight savings and
therefore a superior power/weight ratio. think about that for a moment
- there /is/ a reason you don't see your kind of conversion...

regarding your desire to spend huge amounts of money, you can get the
motor to do something like this:
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/La...rrys_Civic.htm
for ~$6k.

of course, if you still want to spend the $20k, bring the car on over to
my place. i'll be happy to take your money and give you a faster car.
i won't spend the full $20k you give me though. nowhere near.


> hondaman wrote:
>> lots of people use acura engines in those cars. the ecu will have to be
>> changed and the wiring harness to the fuel injectors and distributor will
>> have to be changed. it's going to cost $$. i've seen civics that people put
>> a sohc vtec head on their non vtech stock engine. thats something else you
>> may be able to do.
>>
>> -jeff
>> "jim beam" <nospam@example.net> wrote in message
>> news:PsWdnZMoTe3Iji7ZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>>> BrineyJason@gmail.com wrote:
>>>> I'm looking to do an engine swap on my 1991 honda civic dx 4door. I'm
>>>> looking for horsepower. is there any sugestions that anyone can make?
>>>> all would be appreciated.
>>>>
>>> how much horsepower? how much money? you have options up the wazoo. the
>>> biggest thing to figure out is how much to spend and your ability level to
>>> do the work - there's a fair amount of re-wiring involved. and you should
>>> upgrade the brakes. and most importantly, why the 4-door???

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine swap in 92 Honda Civic DX Kevin in Iowa Honda 3 6 25 Sep 2005 11:26 pm
Civic DX engine swap help christopherm_wood@hotmail.com Honda 3 5 06 Feb 2005 02:17 pm
93 civic engine swap mcipolat Honda 2 2 15 Dec 2004 07:54 am
Civic Engine Swap Help Mr. Nightmare Honda 3 5 11 Jun 2004 12:35 am
Honda Civic Engine Swap, from 90 to 92. GOuellet Honda 2 3 31 May 2004 03:21 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.