Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 02:03 pm
arock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS automatic with 165k miles. I had a valve
adjustment done on the car. Immediately after the work was done and
since that time the car has had poor gas mileage, a very rough idle,
and loss of power. I had abolutely none of those problems before the
adjustment. Before I take it back into the shop I would like to know if
a bad valve adjustment could be the source of these problems and how it
should be remedied. Also, are there any long-term risks associated with
a bad valve adjustment?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 02:15 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

arock wrote:
>
> I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS automatic with 165k miles. I had a valve
> adjustment done on the car. Immediately after the work was done and
> since that time the car has had poor gas mileage, a very rough idle,
> and loss of power. I had abolutely none of those problems before the
> adjustment. Before I take it back into the shop I would like to know if
> a bad valve adjustment could be the source of these problems and how it
> should be remedied. Also, are there any long-term risks associated with
> a bad valve adjustment?


-----------------------------------------


Who did the adjustment? It sounds like they also jumped your timing belt
a tooth or two.

Same engine as the first generation CR-V. You want to be sure that (when
they redo it) they set the valves to the 'loose' side of the specs. . .
..

http://www.hondasuv.com/stg/viewtopi...t=burnt+valves
http://www.hondasuv.com/stg/viewtopi...t=burnt+valves

I hope you didn't drive it fast or far like it is. You'll smoke a
valve. :-(

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 02:20 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

"arock" <arockwel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1151953432.147546.141250@b68g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS automatic with 165k miles. I had a valve
> adjustment done on the car. Immediately after the work was done and
> since that time the car has had poor gas mileage, a very rough idle,
> and loss of power. I had abolutely none of those problems before the
> adjustment. Before I take it back into the shop I would like to know if
> a bad valve adjustment could be the source of these problems and how it
> should be remedied. Also, are there any long-term risks associated with
> a bad valve adjustment?
>

Normally a valve adjustment itself doesn't bring about those problems - it
sounds like the timing belt has slipped. First and most critical question -
is this the original timing belt? If the answer is "yes" you are driving on
borrowed time.

If the belt was changed a few years ago when it was due, the danger of a
flubbed valve adjustment is that the valves may have been set too "tight."
That often leads to burned valves. "Loose" valves make a lot of clatter but
are not a risk of damage.

If the timing belt jumped because the engine was turned backward (clockwise)
during the valve adjustment the shop owes it to you to make it right, even
if (*especially* if) valve damage has resulted. If the belt is overdue for
replacement - that is, if it is the original - you may have some bargaining
to do. They can't be wholly responsible for failure of a 12 year old belt.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 02:25 pm
arock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

It was a local Honda dealership. So, if I suggest to them that they
"jumped my timing belt a tooth or two" they'll know what I'm talking
about? If I did burn a valve because of their bad adjustment wouldn't
it be their responsibility?


'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> arock wrote:
> >
> > I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS automatic with 165k miles. I had a valve
> > adjustment done on the car. Immediately after the work was done and
> > since that time the car has had poor gas mileage, a very rough idle,
> > and loss of power. I had abolutely none of those problems before the
> > adjustment. Before I take it back into the shop I would like to know if
> > a bad valve adjustment could be the source of these problems and how it
> > should be remedied. Also, are there any long-term risks associated with
> > a bad valve adjustment?

>
> -----------------------------------------
>
>
> Who did the adjustment? It sounds like they also jumped your timing belt
> a tooth or two.
>
> Same engine as the first generation CR-V. You want to be sure that (when
> they redo it) they set the valves to the 'loose' side of the specs. . .
> .
>
> http://www.hondasuv.com/stg/viewtopi...t=burnt+valves
> http://www.hondasuv.com/stg/viewtopi...t=burnt+valves
>
> I hope you didn't drive it fast or far like it is. You'll smoke a
> valve. :-(
>
> 'Curly'


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 02:27 pm
arock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

Mike,

The timing belt was replaced at around 95k. So, it is not the original
belt.


Michael Pardee wrote:
> "arock" <arockwel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1151953432.147546.141250@b68g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> >I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS automatic with 165k miles. I had a valve
> > adjustment done on the car. Immediately after the work was done and
> > since that time the car has had poor gas mileage, a very rough idle,
> > and loss of power. I had abolutely none of those problems before the
> > adjustment. Before I take it back into the shop I would like to know if
> > a bad valve adjustment could be the source of these problems and how it
> > should be remedied. Also, are there any long-term risks associated with
> > a bad valve adjustment?
> >

> Normally a valve adjustment itself doesn't bring about those problems - it
> sounds like the timing belt has slipped. First and most critical question -
> is this the original timing belt? If the answer is "yes" you are driving on
> borrowed time.
>
> If the belt was changed a few years ago when it was due, the danger of a
> flubbed valve adjustment is that the valves may have been set too "tight."
> That often leads to burned valves. "Loose" valves make a lot of clatter but
> are not a risk of damage.
>
> If the timing belt jumped because the engine was turned backward (clockwise)
> during the valve adjustment the shop owes it to you to make it right, even
> if (*especially* if) valve damage has resulted. If the belt is overdue for
> replacement - that is, if it is the original - you may have some bargaining
> to do. They can't be wholly responsible for failure of a 12 year old belt.
>
> Mike


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 03:33 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

"arock" <arockwel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1151954703.207140.111150@v61g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
> It was a local Honda dealership. So, if I suggest to them that they
> "jumped my timing belt a tooth or two" they'll know what I'm talking
> about? If I did burn a valve because of their bad adjustment wouldn't
> it be their responsibility?
>

That's good. The thing to do is take it back and let them know it is running
much worse and you are confident they will make it all better. I'm sure they
will live up to your hopes!

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 03:57 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

arock wrote:
> I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS automatic with 165k miles. I had a valve
> adjustment done on the car. Immediately after the work was done and
> since that time the car has had poor gas mileage, a very rough idle,
> and loss of power. I had abolutely none of those problems before the
> adjustment. Before I take it back into the shop I would like to know if
> a bad valve adjustment could be the source of these problems and how it
> should be remedied. Also, are there any long-term risks associated with
> a bad valve adjustment?
>

concur with mike & curly - belt skipped while it was being turned the
wrong way. have them re-time the cam belt and adjust the belt tensioner
correctly, then you should be set. clearly it wasn't done properly when
the belt was last changed - another symptom of incompetency that would
make me very wary.

which brings me to the next point: for the future, i'd consider finding
another shop. you got the junior junior wrench's assistant here, twice
in a row. personally, i'd rather have this critical and potentially
/very/ expensive stuff done by someone with both experience and a
reputation to worry about. independents can be great in routine stuff
like this because they've done their time at the dealership, know their
trade, and are in business to stay in business, not depend on a captive
audience like the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Jul 2006, 10:53 pm
duckbill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

I also suspect your timing belt is very loose and now might be a good lime
to replace it and the tensioner. My tensioner was bone dry in my 95 Civic
VTEC with 190,000 miles. The timing belt was orginally done by the dealer
at 110,000 and had over 1.5 inches of deflection at 190,000 vs. a little
over .25 inches after the second belt change. And most of us would agree
that these belts don't stretch! Good luck.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2006, 11:18 am
arock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

Update: I brought the car in and pointed out the issues you guys
brought up. It did turn out to be that the timing belt had, in fact,
jumped one tooth. However, they insisted that it was purely a
coincidence and the valve adjustment had nothing to do with it. I asked
why would it jump immediately the day after the valve service. He
replied although there is only 65k on the timing belt, that because it
has been over 6 years since it was replaced that the timing belt
probably is due and a little worn and that could've cause it to jump. I
told him I didn't agree with that scenario, but he wouldn't concede.

Seeing that was going nowhere, I then asked assuming that is was a
coincedence why didn't they notice that before the last two times I was
in with this problem? He replied that they did check the timing and it
was just a little off -- but still within the normal range. I then
asked to talk to the service manager who just happened to be out of the
office.

When I talk to the service manager what "proof" can I show him that the
valve adjustment could have caused the timing belt to jump a tooth? I'm
not a mechanic by any means, so I just can't say "because I saw it in
an online newsgroup." Is there something official from Honda or Acura
that I can find online?

Anyway, the car runs great now. No more rough idle at all. I haven't
gone through a tank of gas yet, but I'm pretty positive that will be
better, too.


arock wrote:
> I have a 1994 Acura Integra LS automatic with 165k miles. I had a valve
> adjustment done on the car. Immediately after the work was done and
> since that time the car has had poor gas mileage, a very rough idle,
> and loss of power. I had abolutely none of those problems before the
> adjustment. Before I take it back into the shop I would like to know if
> a bad valve adjustment could be the source of these problems and how it
> should be remedied. Also, are there any long-term risks associated with
> a bad valve adjustment?


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2006, 06:56 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1994 Integra: Bad Valve Adjustment?

Maybe the answer is that it's good you learned about their integrity at a
modest cost, rather with something more expensive.

"If you loan a friend $20 and they never pay you back, it was worth it." -
unknown

Mike


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve Adjustment? M.Paul Honda 2 3 10 Dec 2006 09:47 pm
Headlight adjustment Accord 1994 Swifty Honda 3 1 07 Jan 2005 08:28 am
Valve adjustment amsjsj Honda 2 13 01 Feb 2004 02:04 pm
Valve Adjustment amsjsj Honda 1 0 30 Jan 2004 12:48 pm
Valve Adjustment Help Mr. Speck Honda 3 6 24 Oct 2003 11:24 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.