Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:09 pm
doosy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

Hi,
I have '98 Honda Accord (4 cyl) with 100000mil. Smog check failed as
MIL was on and indicating Functional Failure/Fail code: Catalytic
converter failure. The mechanic told me that I have to replace
catalytic converter. I knew MIL was on awhile but Honda service person
told me before that they just forgot to reset, mistaking it with
maitenance lamp.

I was ready to go to the mechanic to have it fixed but yestarday MIL
lamp magically turned off by itself after it was on nearly a year. It
was on for long time since I didn't know that it was something I needed
to have it checked. I tried turned off/on engine, and I see it blink
for a second when the enginer is turned on. But it goes off after that.
Is this something I can assume the car is ok now? Please let me know
if anyone has experience like this.

Thanks
-d

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2006, 10:43 pm
TeGGeR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

"doosy" <lazydoosy@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1151460557.052041.126280@j72g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:

> Hi,
> I have '98 Honda Accord (4 cyl) with 100000mil. Smog check failed as
> MIL was on and indicating Functional Failure/Fail code: Catalytic
> converter failure. The mechanic told me that I have to replace
> catalytic converter. I knew MIL was on awhile but Honda service person
> told me before that they just forgot to reset, mistaking it with
> maitenance lamp.




WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? Jeez people, you're told a code, cough it up!



>
> I was ready to go to the mechanic to have it fixed but yestarday MIL
> lamp magically turned off by itself after it was on nearly a year. It
> was on for long time since I didn't know that it was something I needed
> to have it checked. I tried turned off/on engine, and I see it blink
> for a second when the enginer is turned on. But it goes off after that.
> Is this something I can assume the car is ok now? Please let me know
> if anyone has experience like this.





WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? P0420? Something else? What is this, some kinda
secret?




--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2006, 11:18 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

TeGGeR wrote:
> "doosy" <lazydoosy@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:1151460557.052041.126280@j72g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:
>
>
>>Hi,
>>I have '98 Honda Accord (4 cyl) with 100000mil. Smog check failed as
>>MIL was on and indicating Functional Failure/Fail code: Catalytic
>>converter failure. The mechanic told me that I have to replace
>>catalytic converter. I knew MIL was on awhile but Honda service person
>>told me before that they just forgot to reset, mistaking it with
>>maitenance lamp.

>
>
>
>
> WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? Jeez people, you're told a code, cough it up!
>
>
>
>
>>I was ready to go to the mechanic to have it fixed but yestarday MIL
>>lamp magically turned off by itself after it was on nearly a year. It
>>was on for long time since I didn't know that it was something I needed
>>to have it checked. I tried turned off/on engine, and I see it blink
>>for a second when the enginer is turned on. But it goes off after that.
>>Is this something I can assume the car is ok now? Please let me know
>>if anyone has experience like this.

>
>
>
>
>
> WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? P0420? Something else? What is this, some kinda
> secret?
>
>
>
>

i got to the bit about leaving the mil light unfixed for "nearly a
year", then stopped...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:19 am
doosy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

Fault Codes was P0420: Cat Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

TeGGeR® のメッセージ:

> "doosy" <lazydoosy@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:1151460557.052041.126280@j72g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have '98 Honda Accord (4 cyl) with 100000mil. Smog check failed as
> > MIL was on and indicating Functional Failure/Fail code: Catalytic
> > converter failure. The mechanic told me that I have to replace
> > catalytic converter. I knew MIL was on awhile but Honda service person
> > told me before that they just forgot to reset, mistaking it with
> > maitenance lamp.

>
>
>
> WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? Jeez people, you're told a code, cough it up!
>
>
>
> >
> > I was ready to go to the mechanic to have it fixed but yestarday MIL
> > lamp magically turned off by itself after it was on nearly a year. It
> > was on for long time since I didn't know that it was something I needed
> > to have it checked. I tried turned off/on engine, and I see it blink
> > for a second when the enginer is turned on. But it goes off after that.
> > Is this something I can assume the car is ok now? Please let me know
> > if anyone has experience like this.

>
>
>
>
> WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? P0420? Something else? What is this, some kinda
> secret?
>
>
>
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:25 am
doosy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure


TeGGeR® のメッセージ:


> > Hi,
> > I have '98 Honda Accord (4 cyl) with 100000mil. Smog check failed as
> > MIL was on and indicating Functional Failure/Fail code: Catalytic
> > converter failure. The mechanic told me that I have to replace
> > catalytic converter. I knew MIL was on awhile but Honda service person
> > told me before that they just forgot to reset, mistaking it with
> > maitenance lamp.

>
>
>
> WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? Jeez people, you're told a code, cough it up!
>
>
>
> >
> > I was ready to go to the mechanic to have it fixed but yestarday MIL
> > lamp magically turned off by itself after it was on nearly a year. It
> > was on for long time since I didn't know that it was something I needed
> > to have it checked. I tried turned off/on engine, and I see it blink
> > for a second when the enginer is turned on. But it goes off after that.
> > Is this something I can assume the car is ok now? Please let me know
> > if anyone has experience like this.

>
>
>
>
> WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? P0420? Something else? What is this, some kinda
> secret?
>
>
>
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:13 am
TeGGeR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

"doosy" <lazydoosy@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1151475595.557047.4730@i40g2000cwc.googlegrou ps.com:

> Fault Codes was P0420: Cat Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)



http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420.html



--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:15 am
TeGGeR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

jim beam <nospam@example.net> wrote in
newsMOdnYT1c-idaDzZnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@speakeasy.net:

> TeGGeR wrote:


>>
>>
>> WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? P0420? Something else? What is this, some
>> kinda secret?
>>
>>
>>
>>

> i got to the bit about leaving the mil light unfixed for "nearly a
> year", then stopped...




There is a girl with whom I work. She has a '99 Civic and she too has been
driving around with her MIL on for a good year. I keep telling her she
won't pass smog with it on and she just says, "Oh, I'll deal with it when
the time comes. The car's running fine...".

--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 09:36 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

TeGGeR wrote:
> jim beam <nospam@example.net> wrote in
> newsMOdnYT1c-idaDzZnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@speakeasy.net:
>
>
>>TeGGeR wrote:

>
>
>>>
>>>WHAT'S THE NUMERIC CODE???? P0420? Something else? What is this, some
>>>kinda secret?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>i got to the bit about leaving the mil light unfixed for "nearly a
>>year", then stopped...

>
>
>
>
> There is a girl with whom I work. She has a '99 Civic and she too has been
> driving around with her MIL on for a good year. I keep telling her she
> won't pass smog with it on and she just says, "Oh, I'll deal with it when
> the time comes. The car's running fine...".
>


the thing is, people worry about the cost of repair and don't realize
something like this is actually costing them considerably worse gas
mileage and therefore money to /not/ fix, plus, they're experiencing
increased rates of engine wear. but hey, it's not my car and it's not
my money.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jun 2006, 01:28 am
doosy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Smog check failed by MIL/function failure

Thanks for the info. The web site explained well.


TeGGeR® のメッセージ:

> "doosy" <lazydoosy@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:1151475595.557047.4730@i40g2000cwc.googlegrou ps.com:
>
> > Fault Codes was P0420: Cat Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

>
>
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420.html
>
>
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
86 accord failed smog... HELP/ADVICE Aaron Honda 3 4 13 Sep 2006 09:10 am
92 accord failed smog high nox at 15 and 25 mph jules Honda 3 0 01 Sep 2006 05:30 pm
Darn! My '94 Del Sol failed the California Smog Check today DavidK Honda 3 16 02 Feb 2006 09:39 pm
97 Civic EX upgraded emission recall failed smog check ? Rodo Honda 3 1 30 Jul 2005 02:13 am
Re: Test only Smog check and regular smog check Alec Vega Honda 3 22 08 Apr 2004 12:15 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.