Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2006, 04:49 am
J Oat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default need help with 93 accord CV boot replacement

can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace ?
the boot right at the wheel is ripped.

thanks


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2006, 07:22 am
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: need help with 93 accord CV boot replacement

J Oat wrote:
>
> can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace ?
> the boot right at the wheel is ripped.
>
> thanks


If the boot is torn open, then it's too late to just replace the boot. Dirt
and other crud will have gotten into the CV joint and it will soon be noisy
if it isn't already. The outer joint needs to be replaced. This is most
easily accomplished by installing a rebuilt axle. How easy it is depends on
your level of experience and the amount of rust on your car. For an
experienced mechanic with the right tools on a car without too much rust,
the job typically takes 30 min with air tools and maybe an hour or so with
just hand tools. If the car has rust and if certain bolts have never been
moved since the car was originally assembled, then it can be a frustrating
experience even for seasoned techs.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2006, 08:28 am
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: need help with 93 accord CV boot replacement

Eric wrote:

> J Oat wrote:
>
>>can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace ?
>>the boot right at the wheel is ripped.
>>
>>thanks

>
>
> If the boot is torn open, then it's too late to just replace the boot. Dirt
> and other crud will have gotten into the CV joint and it will soon be noisy
> if it isn't already. The outer joint needs to be replaced. This is most
> easily accomplished by installing a rebuilt axle. How easy it is depends on
> your level of experience and the amount of rust on your car. For an
> experienced mechanic with the right tools on a car without too much rust,
> the job typically takes 30 min with air tools and maybe an hour or so with
> just hand tools. If the car has rust and if certain bolts have never been
> moved since the car was originally assembled, then it can be a frustrating
> experience even for seasoned techs.
>
> Eric


Eric is right. Just TRIED to re-boot the left inner on a '93 Accord,
and had to replace the whole shaft when the inner CV would NOT come off
the shaft. Ball joint and fork disassembly is a bitch without the right
tools. bob
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2006, 07:17 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: need help with 93 accord CV boot replacement

"J Oat" <bd13580@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:kWNmg.75370$A8.59517@clgrps12...
> can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace ?
> the boot right at the wheel is ripped.
>
> thanks
>
>

A shop I used when I had more money than time did the axle on my daughter's
'93 Accord LX for about $100 rebuilt part and $65 labor... then charged me
another $80 for a thrust alignment that was totally unnecessary and never
approved. Grr. Anyway, although others have had bad experiences with
aftermarket rebuilt axles, this NAPA part is holding up at the 5 year point.
You pay your money and take your chances....

I did the other side myself (and since make a point of doing both sides
together) and spent a morning on it. I work *very* slowly. A pro, with air
tools (I have) and a lift (wish I had) can knock it out in under an hour
here in this non-corrosion area.

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jun 2006, 04:33 am
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: need help with 93 accord CV boot replacement

"N.E.Ohio Bob" wrote:
>
> Eric wrote:
>
> > J Oat wrote:
> >
> >>can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace ?
> >>the boot right at the wheel is ripped.
> >>
> >>thanks

> >
> >
> > If the boot is torn open, then it's too late to just replace the boot.
> > Dirt and other crud will have gotten into the CV joint and it will
> > soon be noisy if it isn't already. The outer joint needs to be
> > replaced. This is most easily accomplished by installing a rebuilt
> > axle. How easy it is depends on your level of experience and the
> > amount of rust on your car. For an experienced mechanic with the right
> > tools on a car without too much rust, the job typically takes 30 min
> > with air tools and maybe an hour or so with just hand tools. If the
> > car has rust and if certain bolts have never been moved since the car
> > was originally assembled, then it can be a frustrating experience even
> > for seasoned techs.
> >
> > Eric

>
> Eric is right. Just TRIED to re-boot the left inner on a '93 Accord,
> and had to replace the whole shaft when the inner CV would NOT come off
> the shaft. Ball joint and fork disassembly is a bitch without the right
> tools. bob


That's appears to be an unusual symptom. I've never had problems with an
inner joint not coming off the shaft. Are you referring to the tripod inner
hub? Was the inner boot cracked or torn? Usually, the inner boots outlive
the outer boots by a large margin.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jun 2006, 04:59 am
J Oat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: need help with 93 accord CV boot replacement

thanks everyone for great advice. i will let the dealer deal with it since
i have neither the tool, know how.
this is the first time i have to replace it since 93.

"J Oat" <bd13580@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:kWNmg.75370$A8.59517@clgrps12...
> can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace ?
> the boot right at the wheel is ripped.
>
> thanks
>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CV boot replacement Peabody Honda 2 16 20 Dec 2006 09:58 pm
CV boot replacement Peabody Honda 3 16 20 Dec 2006 09:58 pm
Re: need help with 93 accord cv boot replacement nospam Honda 2 0 02 Jul 2006 03:26 pm
CV boot replacement 95 Integra Nick Honda 3 2 12 Jan 2006 05:54 pm
CV boot replacement DIY Fish Honda 2 10 10 Apr 2004 03:57 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.