Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jun 2006, 11:24 am
true_playa
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can
think is that the timing is off and we havent figured out exactly what we
need to do or anything
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jun 2006, 11:48 am
true_playa
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

my bad i have a 98 honda civic lx 1.6L and i cant figure out why my car wont
start

true_playa wrote:
>i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
>everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can
>think is that the timing is off and we havent figured out exactly what we
>need to do or anything

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jun 2006, 05:07 pm
duckbill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

Pull a plug and see if it's wet with fuel. It should be with all that
cranking. Are you getting fuel? Is your fuel pump running when you first
turn the ignition switch to on; you should be able to hear it?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jun 2006, 05:27 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

"true_playa" <u23318@uwe> wrote in message news:6229281db0b2c@uwe...
>i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
> everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can
> think is that the timing is off and we havent figured out exactly what we
> need to do or anything


Not sure if it has anything to do with your situation yet, but be sure never
to crank the engine without a load for the coil, like using the starter to
rotate the engine with the high voltage leads disconnected. The coil will
short and you will get no spark.

This section of TeGGeR's FAQ site should help with your missing spark:
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#badcoil

Mike


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2006, 08:49 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

true_playa wrote:
>
> i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
> everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can
> think is that the timing is off and we havent figured out exactly what we
> need to do or anything


----------------------------

Try one shot of starting fluid to see if it's fuel-starved. If that
doesn't help, hold the pedal to the floor (per the owner's manual) and
see if it's FLOODED.

It's likely one or the other. Do it the other way round if you don't
have some starting fluid :-)

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2006, 06:21 pm
true_playa via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>> i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
>> everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can
>> think is that the timing is off and we havent figured out exactly what we
>> need to do or anything

>
>----------------------------
>
>Try one shot of starting fluid to see if it's fuel-starved. If that
>doesn't help, hold the pedal to the floor (per the owner's manual) and
>see if it's FLOODED.
>
>It's likely one or the other. Do it the other way round if you don't
>have some starting fluid :-)
>
>'Curly'




Ok i got it running the timing was off and now my timing belt is loose and i
am trying to get it tightened but it is kind of hard i cant find an easy way
to tighten the belt if anyone knows will you please let me know

--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200606/1
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2006, 07:49 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

true_playa via CarKB.com wrote:
> 'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>
>>>i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
>>>everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can
>>>think is that the timing is off and we havent figured out exactly what we
>>>need to do or anything

>>
>>----------------------------
>>
>>Try one shot of starting fluid to see if it's fuel-starved. If that
>>doesn't help, hold the pedal to the floor (per the owner's manual) and
>>see if it's FLOODED.
>>
>>It's likely one or the other. Do it the other way round if you don't
>>have some starting fluid :-)
>>
>>'Curly'

>
>
>
>
> Ok i got it running the timing was off and now my timing belt is loose and i
> am trying to get it tightened but it is kind of hard i cant find an easy way
> to tighten the belt if anyone knows will you please let me know
>

like it says in the honda book, [the best tool you'll ever buy btw], you
tighten the idler when there's tension on the long run of the belt, the
one direct between crank and cam. turn the crank counterclockwise about
3 notches of the belt from tdc, maintain that tension, then tighten the
idler. easy! turn the engine through three full rotations to ensure
the belt is properly distributed, then retension if necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2006, 01:59 pm
true_playa via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

ok thanx man i am going to try that. i was told tat i would have to remove
the engine to make it easy to get to the tensioner is there another way to do
that?

jim beam wrote:
>>>>i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
>>>>everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can

>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>> am trying to get it tightened but it is kind of hard i cant find an easy way
>> to tighten the belt if anyone knows will you please let me know

>
>like it says in the honda book, [the best tool you'll ever buy btw], you
>tighten the idler when there's tension on the long run of the belt, the
>one direct between crank and cam. turn the crank counterclockwise about
>3 notches of the belt from tdc, maintain that tension, then tighten the
>idler. easy! turn the engine through three full rotations to ensure
>the belt is properly distributed, then retension if necessary.


--
Message posted via http://www.carkb.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jun 2006, 08:50 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

true_playa via CarKB.com wrote:
> ok thanx man i am going to try that. i was told tat i would have to remove
> the engine to make it easy to get to the tensioner is there another way to do
> that?


whoever told you that, don't /ever/ take car advice from them ever
again. and don't let your friends listen to them either.

it's more convenient if you don't have air, or move the air compressor
out of the way, but there's a little rubber grommet covering the
adjuster bolt in the timing belt cover. 14mm socket, long handled 3/8"
drive. goes in there no problem if you know where it is.

>
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>>>>i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
>>>>>everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can

>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>>
>>>am trying to get it tightened but it is kind of hard i cant find an easy way
>>>to tighten the belt if anyone knows will you please let me know

>>
>>like it says in the honda book, [the best tool you'll ever buy btw], you
>>tighten the idler when there's tension on the long run of the belt, the
>>one direct between crank and cam. turn the crank counterclockwise about
>>3 notches of the belt from tdc, maintain that tension, then tighten the
>>idler. easy! turn the engine through three full rotations to ensure
>>the belt is properly distributed, then retension if necessary.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jun 2006, 09:07 am
true_playa via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I put on a new head and set everything up right but now...

thanx man i got it running and everything it is awesome tahnx for everyones
help with my car. once again thank you so much

jim beam wrote:
>> ok thanx man i am going to try that. i was told tat i would have to remove
>> the engine to make it easy to get to the tensioner is there another way to do
>> that?

>
>whoever told you that, don't /ever/ take car advice from them ever
>again. and don't let your friends listen to them either.
>
>it's more convenient if you don't have air, or move the air compressor
>out of the way, but there's a little rubber grommet covering the
>adjuster bolt in the timing belt cover. 14mm socket, long handled 3/8"
>drive. goes in there no problem if you know where it is.
>
>>>>>>i am not able to start my car we cannot figure out why it turns over and
>>>>>>everything it is just not starting i get spark. The only thing that i can

>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>>idler. easy! turn the engine through three full rotations to ensure
>>>the belt is properly distributed, then retension if necessary.


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200606/1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
93-99 gsr head ted5 Acura 1 07 Nov 2006 07:12 am
89 Accord head & head gasket oil leak FunkyKev Honda 3 0 16 May 2006 02:27 am
head gasket rynniki Honda 2 7 10 Sep 2005 09:37 am
PR3-3 Head unix-freak Honda 3 0 16 Aug 2004 11:29 am
possible head gasket J M Honda 2 0 06 Nov 2003 11:06 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.