Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2006, 02:47 pm
Drew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default xm radio antenna location on 06 accord

I have an 06 Accord V6 on which I had my Honda dealer install XM
radio. They mounted the antenna inside the rear windshield (which is
tinted) on the area behind the rear seats and adjacent to the trunk.

The XM seems to lose the signal much more frequently than an old
Camaro I had which had the antenna mounted outside.

Would it be better to move the antenna outside on my Accord? I wonder
if it is standard practice for Honda dealer to mount antenna on the
inside?

When I loose the signal, its for 1 to 5 seconds and happens at places
I never lost signal with in the Camaro. Always the same places too,
so I think its an antenna placement issue.

Any thoughts?

Drew

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2006, 11:35 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: xm radio antenna location on 06 accord

Drew wrote:
>
> I have an 06 Accord V6 on which I had my Honda dealer install XM
> radio. They mounted the antenna inside the rear windshield (which is
> tinted) on the area behind the rear seats and adjacent to the trunk.
>
> The XM seems to lose the signal much more frequently than an old
> Camaro I had which had the antenna mounted outside.
>
> Would it be better to move the antenna outside on my Accord? I wonder
> if it is standard practice for Honda dealer to mount antenna on the
> inside?
>
> When I loose the signal, its for 1 to 5 seconds and happens at places
> I never lost signal with in the Camaro. Always the same places too,
> so I think its an antenna placement issue.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Drew



------------------------------------

Ask the dealer to fax over the instruction sheets for the installation
"for your records" and see what it says about the antenna. (or find them
through google)

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2006, 08:09 am
Drew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: xm radio antenna location on 06 accord


Hi Curly:

I did find the install instructions at
http://www.handa-accessories.com/acc...cord-xm4dr.pdf

They did install it in the location inside the rear windshield as the
directions indicate. However, two local reputable music shops (not
circuit city!) have told me that in their experience, the XM antenna
needs to be outside for optimal use.

I wonder if there is something about the 06 Accord that makes this
hard to do. It looks like if it were best that Honda's instructions
would call for mounting it outside.

Incidentally, I have a couple of friends with 2003 and 2004 Accords.
In both cases, directions on the above site for these year models show
the installation of the antenna inside the car near the rear
windshield.

But in both cases, the Honda dealer (not same dealer as me) installed
the XM antenna externally on these two cars. Mounted on area above
rear windshield (highest point of car) and centered.

I'm thinking this is what I need too even though my dealer installed
it as directions indicated.

Drew






On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:35:25 -0600, "'Curly Q. Links'"
<motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:

>Drew wrote:
>>
>> I have an 06 Accord V6 on which I had my Honda dealer install XM
>> radio. They mounted the antenna inside the rear windshield (which is
>> tinted) on the area behind the rear seats and adjacent to the trunk.
>>
>> The XM seems to lose the signal much more frequently than an old
>> Camaro I had which had the antenna mounted outside.
>>
>> Would it be better to move the antenna outside on my Accord? I wonder
>> if it is standard practice for Honda dealer to mount antenna on the
>> inside?
>>
>> When I loose the signal, its for 1 to 5 seconds and happens at places
>> I never lost signal with in the Camaro. Always the same places too,
>> so I think its an antenna placement issue.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Drew

>
>
>------------------------------------
>
>Ask the dealer to fax over the instruction sheets for the installation
>"for your records" and see what it says about the antenna. (or find them
>through google)
>
>'Curly'


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 May 2006, 09:34 am
G-Man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: xm radio antenna location on 06 accord

I have an XM Roady and I just have the little antenna tossed on the dash,
and it rarely looses signal.

G-Man


"Drew" <drew@drew.com> wrote in message
news:1suj52p78p4s954jl456927pinebn45jd1@4ax.com...
>
> Hi Curly:
>
> I did find the install instructions at
> http://www.handa-accessories.com/acc...cord-xm4dr.pdf
>
> They did install it in the location inside the rear windshield as the
> directions indicate. However, two local reputable music shops (not
> circuit city!) have told me that in their experience, the XM antenna
> needs to be outside for optimal use.
>
> I wonder if there is something about the 06 Accord that makes this
> hard to do. It looks like if it were best that Honda's instructions
> would call for mounting it outside.
>
> Incidentally, I have a couple of friends with 2003 and 2004 Accords.
> In both cases, directions on the above site for these year models show
> the installation of the antenna inside the car near the rear
> windshield.
>
> But in both cases, the Honda dealer (not same dealer as me) installed
> the XM antenna externally on these two cars. Mounted on area above
> rear windshield (highest point of car) and centered.
>
> I'm thinking this is what I need too even though my dealer installed
> it as directions indicated.
>
> Drew
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:35:25 -0600, "'Curly Q. Links'"
> <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:
>
>>Drew wrote:
>>>
>>> I have an 06 Accord V6 on which I had my Honda dealer install XM
>>> radio. They mounted the antenna inside the rear windshield (which is
>>> tinted) on the area behind the rear seats and adjacent to the trunk.
>>>
>>> The XM seems to lose the signal much more frequently than an old
>>> Camaro I had which had the antenna mounted outside.
>>>
>>> Would it be better to move the antenna outside on my Accord? I wonder
>>> if it is standard practice for Honda dealer to mount antenna on the
>>> inside?
>>>
>>> When I loose the signal, its for 1 to 5 seconds and happens at places
>>> I never lost signal with in the Camaro. Always the same places too,
>>> so I think its an antenna placement issue.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Drew

>>
>>
>>------------------------------------
>>
>>Ask the dealer to fax over the instruction sheets for the installation
>>"for your records" and see what it says about the antenna. (or find them
>>through google)
>>
>>'Curly'

>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2006, 07:05 pm
Sid Schweiger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: xm radio antenna location on 06 accord

>>two local reputable music shops (not circuit city!) have told me that in
their experience, the XM antenna needs to be outside for optimal use.<<

Realize what you're trying to receive: a signal generated 22,300 miles
away, augmented in some areas with low-power repeaters, with an
omnidirectional antenna. The signal strength is very low compared to, for
example, AM or FM broadcast stations, and on much higher frequencies, which
require line-of-sight reception. When your antenna is mounted inside, there
will be instances where the roof of the car cuts off the signal to the
antenna. (In some cities, however, there are so many repeaters that it
won't matter.) Mounting the antenna outside the car solves that problem.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05 May 2006, 08:08 pm
Dr Nick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: xm radio antenna location on 06 accord


"Drew" <drew@drew.com> wrote in message
news:6u1i5256qntbtuaactchie82k05gs1q8v1@4ax.com...
>I have an 06 Accord V6 on which I had my Honda dealer install XM
> radio. They mounted the antenna inside the rear windshield (which is
> tinted) on the area behind the rear seats and adjacent to the trunk.


I have an 06 accord with with XM, and it came installed on the back of my
roof occasionally when it bad out I'll get "rain fade" occasionally on the
radio, but it isn't that bad or persisant enough to complain about


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Antenna Snapped Off... rich_tintera@yahoo.com Honda 3 3 17 Jun 2006 05:08 pm
06 CR-V Radio Antenna twfsa Honda 2 6 23 Nov 2005 07:15 pm
Radio/antenna in '92 Legend rpb Acura 3 05 Oct 2004 07:36 pm
Civic radio antenna question Gabe Honda 1 0 20 May 2004 06:52 am
radio antenna Mackie1230 Honda 3 3 22 Dec 2003 05:57 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.