Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2006, 08:43 am
edb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.

For more infl go to:
http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2006, 08:59 am
Jim Higgins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets


"edb" <edb352@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:smJ5g.7722$9o4.1460@tornado.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
> Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>
> For more infl go to: http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>


Did you bother reading all of the CR article? Transmissions used?
Conditions?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2006, 09:05 am
Jim Higgins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets


"Jim Higgins" <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:125epg1rh9kdkf7@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "edb" <edb352@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:smJ5g.7722$9o4.1460@tornado.tampabay.rr.com.. .
>> Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
>> Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>>
>> For more infl go to:
>> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>>

>
> Did you bother reading all of the CR article? Transmissions used?
> Conditions?
>


Time to eat Crow. I should have read the link before inserting my feet in
my mouth :-((


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2006, 10:47 am
flobert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:43:52 GMT, "edb" <edb352@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
>Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>
>For more infl go to:
>http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>


Wow, its a real secret. i knew about it before I even moved to the Us.

I can't wait for whats going to be a horror story when gas rices in
the US actually become high (as in, more in line with the rest of the
world - doubling the price should get it there).

Maybe then we'll see less of the ugly land-liners with their huge lazy
engines, and slushboxes.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2006, 03:48 pm
Elliot Richmond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:43:52 GMT, "edb" <edb352@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
>Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>
>For more infl go to:
>http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>

The article makes it sound as though this is all a scheme cooked by
automobile marketing departments. it may well be, but it is my
understanding that auto makers must use the EPA estimates and must
test the cars the way EPA says to test them. No exceptions.

In addition, anybody who has done some of reading and research has
known for years that the real-world gas mileage will be lower than EPA
estimates. How much lower depends on a lot of variables, which is why
the EPA test conditions are strictly specified.

Anyway, that's they way I heard it.

Elliot
Itinerant Curmudgeon
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2006, 07:00 pm
flobert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

On Tue, 02 May 2006 20:48:06 GMT, Elliot Richmond
<xmrichmond@xaustin.xrr.xcom> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:43:52 GMT, "edb" <edb352@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
>>Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>>
>>For more infl go to:
>>http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>>

>The article makes it sound as though this is all a scheme cooked by
>automobile marketing departments. it may well be, but it is my
>understanding that auto makers must use the EPA estimates and must
>test the cars the way EPA says to test them. No exceptions.
>
>In addition, anybody who has done some of reading and research has
>known for years that the real-world gas mileage will be lower than EPA
>estimates. How much lower depends on a lot of variables, which is why
>the EPA test conditions are strictly specified.
>
>Anyway, that's they way I heard it.


me too. i did email them aand ask who they felt were keeping it a
secret, considering I found out via the EPA's wesite about 5 yeasr
ago. i then asked how they did espect the tsts to be conducted so that
its repeatable, accurate, and comparatable. Its no good running half a
dozen cars around a track if you've got two different guys splitting
the cars, some done when its raining, and others on a hot sunny day
around 3pm.

Journalistic integrity - they've heard of it, I guess...

>
>Elliot
>Itinerant Curmudgeon


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2006, 11:55 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:43:52 GMT, "edb" <edb352@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
>Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>
>For more infl go to:
>http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>


The CR city milage test is pretty brutal. It can easily be as far
below typical city milage as the EPA is high. Not to say that the CR
test isn't realistic, it is just realistic of the worst case scenario.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2006, 02:40 am
Steve, but not the Australian Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets


"flobert" <nomail@here.NOT> wrote in message
news:mive52hgftj8a6hknalpvb4a14v7nj5iih@4ax.com...
> Wow, its a real secret. i knew about it before I even moved to the Us.
>
> I can't wait for whats going to be a horror story when gas rices in
> the US actually become high (as in, more in line with the rest of the
> world - doubling the price should get it there).
>
> Maybe then we'll see less of the ugly land-liners with their huge lazy
> engines, and slushboxes.


Actually, the US is about in the middle. CNN reported some countries
(albeit oil producing ones) are below $1.00
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/19/news...bal_gasprices/.

Ford said they did see an increase in non-SUV sales and a dip in truck sales
so I suspect your last comment is already becoming reality
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050200678.html.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2006, 04:20 am
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

edb wrote:
>
> Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
> Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>
> For more infl go to:
> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html


From the article...

"Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference."

My '88 Honda Civic with 244K mi gets a very real world 37 mpg. What I find
extraordinary is that even cars, such as hybrids, engineered with the
"latest and greatest" technology still are not that much better. It makes
me wonder what have car manufacturers been doing for the last 18 years?

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03 May 2006, 06:17 am
Steve, but not the Australian Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets


"Eric" <say.no@spam.now> wrote in message news:445875F4.629F7A86@spam.now...
> From the article...
>
> "Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
> Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference."
>
> My '88 Honda Civic with 244K mi gets a very real world 37 mpg. What I
> find
> extraordinary is that even cars, such as hybrids, engineered with the
> "latest and greatest" technology still are not that much better. It makes
> me wonder what have car manufacturers been doing for the last 18 years?
>
> Eric



IIRC, Honda Civics and the CRX HF used to be advertised as getting close to
60 mpg in the mid-late 80's.

As far as what happened, safety features add weight. The market demands
comfort and comfort features add weight.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you really get a good car at Government Auctions? madrox99@hotmail.com Honda 3 10 04 Feb 2006 02:39 pm
Government Seized Vehicles $200 Markus Laben Honda 2 0 26 Apr 2005 05:04 pm
Government Seized Vehicles $200 Auto Network Honda 2 0 28 Sep 2004 01:31 pm
84 pain in the butt Accord becida Honda 2 4 05 Dec 2003 05:54 pm
NEW EBOOK, PROFESSIONAL AUTO DETAILING SECRETS REVEALED! Diana Sullivan Acura 0 23 Oct 2003 12:42 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.