Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 03:58 pm
IrieDahta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Can I get my money back?

Last night I went into a Honda dealer and agreed to purchase a new car. I
really wanted to pay at most $300 a month, over 5 years, but the dealer said
that would not be possible because of the overall cost of the car.The initial
quote the dealer gave me was $395 a month for 5 years. I said that was too
much.Then he asked "Could you do $330 a month?" and I said ok. . I thought he
meant $330 a month for 5 years. Wouldn't you? . So,as I was going over the
contract when I went home, the contract said over a period of 6 years, not 5.
I had told the dealer that I could not do 6 years and yet, that was what was
on the contract. I was so tired last night that I do not know how I could
have signed the contract. Anyway, this morning, I went back to the dealer and
told them that I did not realize that it stated 6 years, after we had
discussed 5 years.The thing is, I had made a $1000 deposit, which I was told
is non-refundable if, after they order the car and it comes in in 2-3 weeks,
I decide I don't want it anymore. I would get back the money if after
ordering the car and it arrives, I take the car. Listen, I ordered the car
last night and I went back to the dealer this morning,less than 12 hours
after. The car won't be at the dealership til 2-3 weeks. Why can't I get the
money back? Is that legal for them to keep it, when I was told that I would
NOT get it back AFTER the car arrives and I decide I don't want it anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 04:42 pm
zonie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

I cant imagine a reputable dealer that would not return your money after 12
hours and you have not picked up the car. I would head for the general
managers office or the dealer owner.
They have tried to pull some funny business with you and were not
successful. I would tell them to refund my money or my next call will be
to the Better Business Bureau. Let us know how you come out.
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 04:46 pm
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

Does the contract itself say anything about the terms of the
deposit?

Things you don't have going for you:
You signed a contract, indicating you had read it.

Things going for you:
Barely a day has gone by. Demand to see the salesperson's
supervisor, then his/her supervisor, and on up. Tell them
what happened. Explain you will tell everyone you know what
happened and that you will not bring your car there for
service, nor will you ever buy another car from them.

Do not trust anything that comes out of the salesperson's
mouth. Get any promises in writing.

Read the April issue of Consumer Reports for tips on buying
a new car. Also, google for tips on doing so.

If a person goes in unarmed to a dealership, the person will
be sharkmeat. There is nothing like the car business as far
as unethical, dishonest, practices go.

"IrieDahta" <u21359@uwe> wrote
> Last night I went into a Honda dealer and agreed to
> purchase a new car. I
> really wanted to pay at most $300 a month, over 5 years,
> but the dealer said
> that would not be possible because of the overall cost of
> the car.The initial
> quote the dealer gave me was $395 a month for 5 years. I
> said that was too
> much.Then he asked "Could you do $330 a month?" and I said
> ok. . I thought he
> meant $330 a month for 5 years. Wouldn't you? . So,as I
> was going over the
> contract when I went home, the contract said over a period
> of 6 years, not 5.
> I had told the dealer that I could not do 6 years and yet,
> that was what was
> on the contract. I was so tired last night that I do not
> know how I could
> have signed the contract. Anyway, this morning, I went
> back to the dealer and
> told them that I did not realize that it stated 6 years,
> after we had
> discussed 5 years.The thing is, I had made a $1000
> deposit, which I was told
> is non-refundable if, after they order the car and it
> comes in in 2-3 weeks,
> I decide I don't want it anymore. I would get back the
> money if after
> ordering the car and it arrives, I take the car. Listen, I
> ordered the car
> last night and I went back to the dealer this morning,less
> than 12 hours
> after. The car won't be at the dealership til 2-3 weeks.
> Why can't I get the
> money back? Is that legal for them to keep it, when I was
> told that I would
> NOT get it back AFTER the car arrives and I decide I don't
> want it anymore?



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 05:12 pm
IrieDahta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

zonie wrote:
>I cant imagine a reputable dealer that would not return your money after 12
>hours and you have not picked up the car. I would head for the general
>managers office or the dealer owner.
> They have tried to pull some funny business with you and were not
>successful. I would tell them to refund my money or my next call will be
>to the Better Business Bureau. Let us know how you come out.
> Scott


Do you think that if I stop the check, they will take me to Collections for
it? That is another matter that I couln't be bothered with. I know I don't
want the car anymore because I was deceived.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 05:26 pm
IrieDahta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

zonie wrote:
>I cant imagine a reputable dealer that would not return your money after 12
>hours and you have not picked up the car. I would head for the general
>managers office or the dealer owner.
> They have tried to pull some funny business with you and were not
>successful. I would tell them to refund my money or my next call will be
>to the Better Business Bureau. Let us know how you come out.
> Scott


Thanks a lot. I will let you know on Monday; that's when the manager will be
at work. Wanted to stop the check, but it might not be such a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 05:26 pm
IrieDahta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

Elle wrote:
>Does the contract itself say anything about the terms of the
>deposit?
>
>Things you don't have going for you:
>You signed a contract, indicating you had read it.
>
>Things going for you:
>Barely a day has gone by. Demand to see the salesperson's
>supervisor, then his/her supervisor, and on up. Tell them
>what happened. Explain you will tell everyone you know what
>happened and that you will not bring your car there for
>service, nor will you ever buy another car from them.


Thanks for yor help
>
>Do not trust anything that comes out of the salesperson's
>mouth. Get any promises in writing.
>
>Read the April issue of Consumer Reports for tips on buying
>a new car. Also, google for tips on doing so.
>
>If a person goes in unarmed to a dealership, the person will
>be sharkmeat. There is nothing like the car business as far
>as unethical, dishonest, practices go.
>
>> Last night I went into a Honda dealer and agreed to
>> purchase a new car. I

>[quoted text clipped - 34 lines]
>> NOT get it back AFTER the car arrives and I decide I don't
>> want it anymore?

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 05:35 pm
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

"IrieDahta" <u21359@uwe> wrote
> zonie wrote:
>>I cant imagine a reputable dealer that would not return
>>your money after 12
>>hours and you have not picked up the car. I would head for
>>the general
>>managers office or the dealer owner.
>> They have tried to pull some funny business with you and
>> were not
>>successful. I would tell them to refund my money or my
>>next call will be
>>to the Better Business Bureau. Let us know how you come
>>out.
>> Scott

>
> Thanks a lot. I will let you know on Monday; that's when
> the manager will be
> at work. Wanted to stop the check, but it might not be
> such a good idea.


I would not rule stopping the check out. It would depend on
whether there was anything in writing concerning the
deposit, and how obnoxious they had been so far. Also,
whether there is another dealer near you with whom you can
work.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 05:47 pm
Figaro
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?


"IrieDahta" <u21359@uwe> wrote in message news:5f849d2ef0c3f@uwe...
| Last night I went into a Honda dealer and agreed to purchase a new car.
I
| really wanted to pay at most $300 a month, over 5 years, but the dealer
said
| that would not be possible because of the overall cost of the car.The
initial
| quote the dealer gave me was $395 a month for 5 years. I said that was too
| much.Then he asked "Could you do $330 a month?" and I said ok. . I thought
he
| meant $330 a month for 5 years. Wouldn't you? . So,as I was going over the
| contract when I went home, the contract said over a period of 6 years, not
5.
| I had told the dealer that I could not do 6 years and yet, that was what
was
| on the contract. I was so tired last night that I do not know how I could
| have signed the contract. Anyway, this morning, I went back to the dealer
and
| told them that I did not realize that it stated 6 years, after we had
| discussed 5 years.The thing is, I had made a $1000 deposit, which I was
told
| is non-refundable if, after they order the car and it comes in in 2-3
weeks,
| I decide I don't want it anymore. I would get back the money if after
| ordering the car and it arrives, I take the car. Listen, I ordered the car
| last night and I went back to the dealer this morning,less than 12 hours
| after. The car won't be at the dealership til 2-3 weeks. Why can't I get
the
| money back? Is that legal for them to keep it, when I was told that I
would
| NOT get it back AFTER the car arrives and I decide I don't want it
anymore?

If the deal involves applying for financing and dealer is made aware of
that, then if the
application for financing falls through, you may have an out. There's a
cancellation
provision in the law for failed financing.

At if you are stuck with it, however, you are probably getting a
signficantly better vehicle
since it's worth $4,000 more. Considering Hondas hold up well on resale,
you'll get a
chunk of that back later. Until then, you'll be driving a nicer vehicle
than you originally
wanted to buy.

Be happy and charge it to experience.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 06:18 pm
IrieDahta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

Figaro wrote:
>| Last night I went into a Honda dealer and agreed to purchase a new car. I
>| really wanted to pay at most $300 a month, over 5 years, but the dealer said
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>| money back? Is that legal for them to keep it, when I was told that I would
>| NOT get it back AFTER the car arrives and I decide I don't want it anymore?
>
>If the deal involves applying for financing and dealer is made aware of
>that, then if the
>application for financing falls through, you may have an out. There's a
>cancellation
>provision in the law for failed financing.
>
>At if you are stuck with it, however, you are probably getting a
>signficantly better vehicle
>since it's worth $4,000 more. Considering Hondas hold up well on resale,
>you'll get a
>chunk of that back later. Until then, you'll be driving a nicer vehicle
>than you originally
>wanted to buy.
>
>Be happy and charge it to experience.


I won't be driving a nicer vehicle than I originally wanted to buy. It's the
original car, just more payments. I really am stressing over this. How can I
be happy when I have $1000 on the line and I KNOW I don't want to pay so much
for the car. I cannot afford to.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2006, 07:02 pm
Mike Phillips
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can I get my money back?

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:58:13 GMT, "IrieDahta" <u21359@uwe> wrote:

>Last night I went into a Honda dealer and agreed to purchase a new car. I
>really wanted to pay at most $300 a month, over 5 years, but the dealer said
>that would not be possible because of the overall cost of the car.The initial
>quote the dealer gave me was $395 a month for 5 years. I said that was too
>much.Then he asked "Could you do $330 a month?" and I said ok. . I thought he
>meant $330 a month for 5 years. Wouldn't you? . So,as I was going over the
>contract when I went home, the contract said over a period of 6 years, not 5.
>I had told the dealer that I could not do 6 years and yet, that was what was
>on the contract. I was so tired last night that I do not know how I could
>have signed the contract. Anyway, this morning, I went back to the dealer and
>told them that I did not realize that it stated 6 years, after we had
>discussed 5 years.The thing is, I had made a $1000 deposit, which I was told
>is non-refundable if, after they order the car and it comes in in 2-3 weeks,
>I decide I don't want it anymore. I would get back the money if after
>ordering the car and it arrives, I take the car. Listen, I ordered the car
>last night and I went back to the dealer this morning,less than 12 hours
>after. The car won't be at the dealership til 2-3 weeks. Why can't I get the
>money back? Is that legal for them to keep it, when I was told that I would
>NOT get it back AFTER the car arrives and I decide I don't want it anymore?


Cancel the check and call the dealer's general manager. Let him know
that you are not happy and feel that you were deceived about the loan
terms. If he gets tough, tell him that you will call the better
business bureau, your state's attorney general office, and the local
newspaper or TV station.

The worst thing that can happen is that you will have to write another
check and take the car. Once that check clears you will have to go to
court to get your money. If the check has cleared, small claims court
will be you best option.

A lawyer once told me there was no such thing as a non-refundable
deposit. Depending on your state, you might have certain legal rights
that will make it a cut and dry matter. Some states have a 3 day
buyers remorse period.

Last but not least. Never tell a dealer how mush you want to spend.
Never go on a car lot without knowing what you want, how much to pay
for it, and pre-arranged financing. When you openly shop based upon a
payment amount, you are doomed to over pay for the car and finance
options.

Good luck and don't be afraid of these guys.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back-up Lights K-town Honda 2 4 06 Dec 2004 07:16 pm
CRX coming back? MRKRL Honda 3 2 17 Oct 2004 10:12 pm
I am back!!!! Acura God Acura 7 02 Nov 2003 07:17 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.