Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Apr 2006, 06:41 pm
Robert11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Accord Oil Type Question ?

Hello:

Have an Accord, 6 cyl, 2005.

Manual says to use 5W 20 oil, a bit surprisingly.

How critical is this ?

If I use, due to 5W 20 not being available, e.g., 5W 30, or 10W 30, any
potential problems ?

Thanks,
Bob


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 02:17 am
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Have an Accord, 6 cyl, 2005.
>
> Manual says to use 5W 20 oil, a bit surprisingly.
>
> How critical is this ?
>
> If I use, due to 5W 20 not being available, e.g., 5W 30, or 10W 30, any
> potential problems ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
>


Acuras spec 5W-30 with the same engine families, so I don't think you
will have any worries using 5W-30 if you need/want to.

John
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 03:57 am
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?


"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in message
news:6oSdnYruFqoGLtPZRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Hello:
>
> Have an Accord, 6 cyl, 2005.
>
> Manual says to use 5W 20 oil, a bit surprisingly.


Why do you believe this is surprising? It's been the recommended oil since
the 2001 Honda products were introduced.

> How critical is this ?


What does the Owners Manual for the vehicle state?

> If I use, due to 5W 20 not being available, e.g., 5W 30, or 10W 30, any
> potential problems ?


What does the Owners Manual state?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 06:08 am
dimndsonmywndshld@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Have an Accord, 6 cyl, 2005.
>
> Manual says to use 5W 20 oil, a bit surprisingly.
>
> How critical is this ?
>
> If I use, due to 5W 20 not being available, e.g., 5W 30, or 10W 30, any
> potential problems ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob


Honda spec. 5W-20 oil in the USA and nowhere else. They sell the exact
same vehicle elsewhere where they spec. 5W-30 or 10W-30.

So, how critical to use 5W-20? Not.

I've been ignoring Honda's 5W-20 spec. and using Mobil 1 5W-30 (once
past a 10K mile break-in period). Cars are running fine. Just went to
Mobil 1 Extended Life (or whatever they call it) for my daughters' cars.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 08:52 am
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?


<dimndsonmywndshld@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1146049733.881951.272870@t31g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>
> Honda spec. 5W-20 oil in the USA and nowhere else. They sell the exact
> same vehicle elsewhere where they spec. 5W-30 or 10W-30.


You're sadly misinformed.



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 08:57 am
Robert11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default From OP: Followup Quest., Please: Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?

Hello again,

Much thanks for replies and help.
A bit confused on this.

Are you folks saying that the 5W 20 that Honda says to use Must be (all)
Synthetic only ?

Or is 5W 20 that is not synthetic, just the regular stuff, is O.K. ?

I read somewhere that they should not be mixed, so really confused.

Thanks again,
Bob
------------------------------------

"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in message
news:6oSdnYruFqoGLtPZRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> Hello:
>
> Have an Accord, 6 cyl, 2005.
>
> Manual says to use 5W 20 oil, a bit surprisingly.
>
> How critical is this ?
>
> If I use, due to 5W 20 not being available, e.g., 5W 30, or 10W 30, any
> potential problems ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 09:07 am
TeGGeRŽ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: From OP: Followup Quest., Please: Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?

"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in
news:GMqdnYgOo_am4dLZnZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@comcast.com:

> Hello again,
>
> Much thanks for replies and help.
> A bit confused on this.
>
> Are you folks saying that the 5W 20 that Honda says to use Must be (all)
> Synthetic only ?
>
> Or is 5W 20 that is not synthetic, just the regular stuff, is O.K. ?
>
> I read somewhere that they should not be mixed, so really confused.
>
> Thanks again,
> Bob
> ------------------------------------
>
> "Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in message
> news:6oSdnYruFqoGLtPZRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
>> Hello:
>>
>> Have an Accord, 6 cyl, 2005.
>>
>> Manual says to use 5W 20 oil, a bit surprisingly.
>>
>> How critical is this ?
>>
>> If I use, due to 5W 20 not being available, e.g., 5W 30, or 10W 30, any
>> potential problems ?
>>




Bob, you are making things very confusing for yourself and others by
posting individual messages to several groups. Responders in each group
remain ignorant of the replies of others in those other groups unless they
know to check. Learn to cross-post properly.

I will not repeat myself here. Go check nmy reply in
rec.autos.makers.honda.


--
TeGGeRŽ

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 09:17 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: From OP: Followup Quest., Please: Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?

"TeGGeRŽ" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote
> "Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote
> Bob, you are making things very confusing for yourself and
> others by
> posting individual messages to several groups. Responders
> in each group
> remain ignorant of the replies of others in those other
> groups unless they
> know to check. Learn to cross-post properly.
>
> I will not repeat myself here. Go check nmy reply in
> rec.autos.makers.honda.


Don't you think he saw you responded in the other
newsgroup?

This second post (to a different Honda newsgroup) obviously
was intended to cover more audience.

It's simply not a big deal to post to one newsgroup and
then, a day or more later, post the same query to another
newsgroup.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 10:14 am
TeGGeRŽ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: From OP: Followup Quest., Please: Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?

"Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in
news:VhL3g.1302$Vn.1228@newsread4.news.pas.earthli nk.net:

> "TeGGeRŽ" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote


>
> This second post (to a different Honda newsgroup) obviously
> was intended to cover more audience.
>
> It's simply not a big deal to post to one newsgroup and
> then, a day or more later, post the same query to another
> newsgroup.
>
>
>



He posted this identical message independently to at least three groups
simultaneously. That's both bad etiquette and a cheat on the readers of the
other groups.

--
TeGGeRŽ

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 10:46 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: From OP: Followup Quest., Please: Re: Accord Oil Type Question ?

"TeGGeRŽ" <tegger@tegger.c0m> wrote
> He posted this identical message independently to at least
> three groups
> simultaneously. That's both bad etiquette and a cheat on
> the readers of the
> other groups.


We disagree.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accord Type-V and CD-Rs Ian Myatt Honda 3 2 04 Feb 2007 10:51 pm
Accord type s siro_mario@yahoo.com Honda 2 1 15 Sep 2005 06:06 am
Tyres for Accord Type R (UK)? al Honda 2 0 19 Feb 2005 11:09 am
Things to look out for on '00 Accord Type R al Honda 2 0 27 Jan 2005 03:45 am
Question about CIVIC TYPE-R AVATAR Honda 3 1 14 Jan 2005 01:23 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.