Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2006, 03:29 am
Marco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Civic window replacement help needed


I've been searching all around the 'net for instructions on replacing a
driver side 'rear quarter window' on a '97 Civic Ex (2 door sedan). Not
much luck there.

I can probably get an OEM window from ebay or a few lower priced honda
parts dealers, but I'm not sure if I'll need a new seal or spacers or
anything else, like urethane sealant or sealing tape..? Or special tools?

I don't like the idea of having a 1 foot by 2 foot piece of glass
replaced for no less than $260.00, and so I'd like to know if anyone
here has any experience or tips that might help me to make this a
'do-it-myself' job? Any help would be very much appreciated.


Marco

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2006, 07:12 am
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic window replacement help needed

Marco wrote:
>
> I've been searching all around the 'net for instructions on replacing a
> driver side 'rear quarter window' on a '97 Civic Ex (2 door sedan). Not
> much luck there.
>
> I can probably get an OEM window from ebay or a few lower priced honda
> parts dealers, but I'm not sure if I'll need a new seal or spacers or
> anything else, like urethane sealant or sealing tape..? Or special tools?
>
> I don't like the idea of having a 1 foot by 2 foot piece of glass
> replaced for no less than $260.00, and so I'd like to know if anyone
> here has any experience or tips that might help me to make this a
> 'do-it-myself' job? Any help would be very much appreciated.
>
>
> Marco
>


I got a similar glass for my son's '90 Accord two door at the junk yard
and did it myself. Maybe a nice glass shop can help you figure it out,
and find the window for you. bob
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09 Apr 2006, 02:28 am
Charlie S
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic window replacement help needed

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:12:26 GMT, "N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com>
wrote:

>Marco wrote:
>>
>> I've been searching all around the 'net for instructions on replacing a
>> driver side 'rear quarter window' on a '97 Civic Ex (2 door sedan). Not
>> much luck there.
>>
>> I can probably get an OEM window from ebay or a few lower priced honda
>> parts dealers, but I'm not sure if I'll need a new seal or spacers or
>> anything else, like urethane sealant or sealing tape..? Or special tools?
>>
>> I don't like the idea of having a 1 foot by 2 foot piece of glass
>> replaced for no less than $260.00, and so I'd like to know if anyone
>> here has any experience or tips that might help me to make this a
>> 'do-it-myself' job? Any help would be very much appreciated.
>>
>>
>> Marco
>>

>
> I got a similar glass for my son's '90 Accord two door at the junk yard
>and did it myself. Maybe a nice glass shop can help you figure it out,
>and find the window for you. bob


Why don't you look in the yellow pages for Auto Glass shops. They
will give you a free estimates. My experience is that it was not as
expensive as I would have thought. I have installed glass and would
not do it again......too much work for too little savings. Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09 Apr 2006, 05:56 am
Marco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Civic window replacement help needed

Charlie S wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:12:26 GMT, "N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Marco wrote:
>>> I've been searching all around the 'net for instructions on replacing a
>>> driver side 'rear quarter window' on a '97 Civic Ex (2 door sedan). Not
>>> much luck there.
>>>
>>> I can probably get an OEM window from ebay or a few lower priced honda
>>> parts dealers, but I'm not sure if I'll need a new seal or spacers or
>>> anything else, like urethane sealant or sealing tape..? Or special tools?
>>>
>>> I don't like the idea of having a 1 foot by 2 foot piece of glass
>>> replaced for no less than $260.00, and so I'd like to know if anyone
>>> here has any experience or tips that might help me to make this a
>>> 'do-it-myself' job? Any help would be very much appreciated.
>>>
>>>
>>> Marco
>>>

>> I got a similar glass for my son's '90 Accord two door at the junk yard
>> and did it myself. Maybe a nice glass shop can help you figure it out,
>> and find the window for you. bob

>
> Why don't you look in the yellow pages for Auto Glass shops. They
> will give you a free estimates. My experience is that it was not as
> expensive as I would have thought. I have installed glass and would
> not do it again......too much work for too little savings. Charlie



Actually, that's what I did (yellow pages) before posting here.

I called Safelite and a few others, and the lowest replacement price was
$260.00. [I once bought a whole car for less ]

I found a few used OEM windows for around $70.00, and a few new OEM
windows for around $170.00.

So I was thinking I could save myself around $200.00 doing it myself
with a used window. Well, that, minus any other materials I'd probably
need. I just need to know the proper way of doing it.


Marco
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
97 Acura CL Window motor/wire problem - cross ref of motors needed Pete Acura 0 19 Jul 2007 05:20 pm
94 civic coupe passenger side power window help needed Jeff Honda 2 1 01 Sep 2006 08:06 pm
93 civic - replacement bumper screws needed! alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com Honda 2 3 23 Aug 2006 02:39 am
2000 V6 Accord simple bulb Sylvania replacement #s needed rs Honda 2 2 23 Nov 2004 11:55 pm
ADVICE NEEDED: How to replace window mechanism Gary Murison Honda 2 0 24 Dec 2003 05:12 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.